Is my guitar solo self indulgent and cheesy?

honeyiscool

• Members

Got to agree I think it was good stuff. My only gripe is I dont think the drummer was helping. 3/4 through I was thinking, kill the drummer, kill the drummer.

But yep we had our spats in the past but you play way above me man.:thu:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good Ideas just sound a little stiff. It need to flow and breath and it would help with a bit of reverb/echo its really a dry sound.

Really? I thought it was too much reverb.

I think it would flow and breathe better if I weren't rushing. Just gotta practice.

• Members

Sweet but a little to extended.

I'd break it up, maybe add some band dynamics when resolving at 53 and do a chorus. After the chorus do the last of the solo, possibly to finish. To my ears that's where it sounds like it was heading.

Anyway I liked it!
:cool:

Gotta agree with this.

• Members

great playing and tone, but ya,i'm with those that thought it was a bit long. a little more than halfway through it isnt so much playing off the song as playing off itself. I think you'd need a real band responding to make something of this length really work. as mentioned before on that weird thread (that started out) about vibrato, i'm all about individual notes and passages being *headed somewhere* ...on the micro scale, note to note and measure to measure..no problem. but on the macro, i wondered after a while why we had rowed out so far. my 2 cents.

finally, note that this stuff is atually good enough to justify critical analysis, which is an acheivement in itself!

• Members

I like the vibe.

My only suggestion is to play fewer notes, vary your timing a bit and let the music breathe.

Play like a horn player - pause to take a breath. It will create stronger tension and make the resolve stronger.

• Members

I like it honey. If I had to give criticism, I would say it comes in a bit too slowly, that is the meat and potatoes of your playing takes too long to build into the essence of the solo, if that makes any sense.

Self-indulgent and cheesy, not at all.

• Members

I hate to say this, because I like you as a person (or at least I like the persona that you project on this forum), but I didn't like this solo at all. The first third felt like a throwaway, "remind the audience what the melody was" piece, the second third sounded like you were tentatively approaching something like freedom of expression, but then you chickened out and decided in the third third to just remind the audience what the chord progression was. At no point did I feel like you took the song and made it more awesome than it already was.

I completely understand that you have the technical ability to hear a song, instantly determine the chord progression, and play along with that. That's an amazing gift, and one that I wish I possessed. I have the utmost respect for your body of knowledge as a musician. But when you're called upon to lead a band, when everyone else is looking at you with expressions that say, "It's your turn; do something awesome and we'll do our best to make you look even awesomer!", then you need to {censored}ing shine. And I think you failed in that regard. I think you have the technical ability to pull off a really good solo, but when you as "Is this solo cheesy and self indulgent," the only answer is "No, it's not cheesy and self-indulgent enough!"

• Members

Hey, the kid asked if it sounded self indulgent and cheesey. I gave my opinion instead of licking his ass.

Kruger and Dunning proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:

tend to overestimate their own level of skill;

fail to recognize genuine skill in others;

fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy;

recognize and acknowledge their own previous lack of skill, if they can be trained to substantially improve.

While obviously a lot of guys ( maybe internet buds) were put off by the bluntness, it's pretty much on the mark. The fact that a LOT of guys thought it was great, was interesting. The guy obviously deep down, was uncertain about it and his concerns were well founded. The solo had some interesting twists but it sounded primitive, technique and musically-wise. I didn't hear a lot of passion like some other primitive guys who have posted, like some of Scuzzo's early stuff for an example. I didn't listen to the whole track, with the vocals and all. There's an art to every style, be it Prog Rock or Garage Rock. Perhaps this guy is a 'garage Rocker'? Maybe not self-indulgent but certainly cheesy.

Archived