Is my guitar solo self indulgent and cheesy?

honeyiscool

• Members

I'd like some feedback. We do a cover of "Be My Baby" and I thought about doing the thing I never do, which is ask for a long guitar solo. I'm normally against it but it kind of feels like this might work. This is after the song seems to be almost over, where the break comes in, instead of coming back in with vocals, we're hitting people with this:

http://soundcloud.com/thursdays-mittens/be-my-baby-solo

Obviously I need to be more spot-on with some of the runs, but I'm looking for an overall vibe thing. Thanks!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds excellent! Good job, dude.

Personally, I feel there's nothing wrong with sounding self-indulgent. To me, that's the whole point of the solo- to draw attention to the guitarist. Cheesiness... Eh. There's a time and a place for it :thu:

• Members

Sweet but a little to extended.

I'd break it up, maybe add some band dynamics when resolving at 53 and do a chorus. After the chorus do the last of the solo, possibly to finish. To my ears that's where it sounds like it was heading.

Anyway I liked it! :cool:

• Members
I'd break it up, maybe add some band dynamics when resolving at 53 and do a chorus. After the chorus do the last of the solo, possibly to finish.

Yeah, if I actually were in a place where I can record my band in one sitting (or record the drummer), I think it would help. In general, I've found that to be near impossible when doing one track at a time, building dynamics properly. With fake drums, especially.

• Members

If it extends a 2:45 song to almost five minutes then I'd say it MIGHT be perceived as self-indulgent by some of your audience. However, I think your solo is melodic enough without a "look-at-me" attitude that it indeed works...especially if it is a gig where live music may be secondary with people mingling and dancing etc.

My two cents.

• Members

Thanks for all the positive responses! I think I'll keep it, even though it does make a 2:45 minute song two minutes longer. :)

Sounds like you've got a little Marty Robbins "El Paso" thing going on there. Nice.

I'm not aware of this track. I sort of copy Dire Straits' "Tunnel of Love" solo pretty blatantly, though, especially the way the solo is built, and then some of the chord stuff is somewhat taken from "Sultans of Swing." It's all semi-conscious on my part, since Mark Knopfler is stylistically pretty different from anything I'm trying to do, but when I want to do guitar solos, I think back to what he would do, mainly because he writes the best guitar solos ever. When I run out of guitar-centric ideas, I tend to go back to melodies, scales, and runs I encountered in classical music.

• Members

I'd like some feedback. We do a cover of "Be My Baby" and I thought about doing the thing I never do, which is ask for a long guitar solo. I'm normally against it but it kind of feels like this might work. This is after the song seems to be almost over, where the break comes in, instead of coming back in with vocals, we're hitting people with this:

Obviously I need to be more spot-on with some of the runs, but I'm looking for an overall vibe thing. Thanks!

Self indulgent? Naa. That was tasteful!

My favorite part was the final note at the very end. It's like the timer going 'ding.' The icing on the cake IMO.

I dig it!

Archived