March 2012 Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Frets99

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Washburn-XMPRO2USDPB-Set-Neck-Electric-Guitar-Pearl-Black.html

_1329903320.jpg
List is $939, their normal is $599.99

This random indian website has it for $689 or so (thats my rough conversion from their Rupees)

http://www.saptaswara.in/product-details/western-instruments/xmpro2usd/3/1777

Definitely not an ebony fingerboard. Wonder what model the Duncans are? From this pic, it looks like a TB spaced pickup would have been a better choice:

http://www.usmusiccorp.com/files/washburn/images/USM-XMPRO2USDPB.jpg

• Members

Definitely not an ebony fingerboard. Wonder what model the Duncans are? From this pic, it looks like a TB spaced pickup would have been a better choice:

They are not Seympre Duncans. They are Duncan USM pickups. The USA in the add is a typo at best.

Quoted "Here's the unofficial scoop. If you know the sound of the Duncan Designed HB-102 and HB-103, then you know the sound of the same pickups with the "Duncan / USM" brand on them. The logo was a marketing decision. The tone of the pickups will be familiar to those who know their "Duncan Designed" pickups."

Source

Washburn puts them in their mid priced guitars. Although I have them in a XM STD2 I picked up on Amazon for $120. They're ok, but not to be confused with genuine Seymore Duncans.

• Members

I had a conversation with Sweetwater today about Hello Music...What the poop is, they are buying slowing items from big box vendors, selling them at 2-3 points and selling ALL the data. I guess all the music vendors are banding together about it, but the vendors are saying NO warranties will be honored, but I told Sweetwater, the RIGHT thing for the vendors to do IS support the customer. This is from a sales rep I have known over 10 years, so it is a no BS story. I have purchased some things from HM, but figured I would toss this up. I thought it was amazing that they had a Kurt Cobain Fiesta Red up today, then they were GONE. I had called about the TC Electronic Voicelive Touch, which I just bought from SWS. HM had is $125 less. Not sure how all this warranty stuff is gonna shake out, but he also said, Hello Music has another arm that does the same thing with furniture, etc. I did say that from my consumer point of view, a $125 price difference on a $499 items is huge, so they either need to kill it, or they need to start price matching.

• Members

I had a conversation with Sweetwater today about Hello Music...What the poop is, they are buying slowing items from big box vendors,
selling them at 2-3 points and selling ALL the data.
I guess all the music vendors are banding together about it, but the vendors are saying NO warranties will be honored, but I told Sweetwater, the RIGHT thing for the vendors to do IS support the customer. This is from a sales rep I have known over 10 years, so it is a no BS story. I have purchased some things from HM, but figured I would toss this up. I thought it was amazing that they had a Kurt Cobain Fiesta Red up today, then they were GONE. I had called about the TC Electronic Voicelive Touch, which I just bought from SWS. HM had is $125 less. Not sure how all this warranty stuff is gonna shake out, but he also said, Hello Music has another arm that does the same thing with furniture, etc. I did say that from my consumer point of view, a $125 price difference on a $499 items is huge, so they either need to kill it, or they need to start price matching.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Dumb question time: can you explain the portion of your quote that I put in bold?

• Members

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Dumb question time: can you explain the portion of your quote that I put in bold?

2-3 points means they are only making 2-3% on each sale. That is about 1/10 of what most retailers make. I assume 'all the data means that HM sells your address, email, and purchase history to 3rd parties.

I don't see why vendors would be upset. They get to dump slow merch and use that money for stuff that will sell better. Reminds of the early days of catalog sales. Tempest in a teapot.

• Members

Yep- That's thing...usually, to get a brand, you gotta commit to a certain number of pieces across the line, you can't just cherry pick the stuff that always sells, you gotta take their dog stuff too. So, honestly, if it were me and I had a way to say keep my Fender dealership, and dumpa bunch of slow movers at cost, I'd do it. I tend to the think the manufacturers overproduce, most need to narrow their lines. So, in this case, I was not gonna beat SWS up over this one item, but, I did say, well, if I can buy a new item for 30% less, SWS is going to have to find a way to deal with it. If I bought a Fender off HM, and then had an issue and Fender said they would not honor the warranty, I'd order another one from a 'blessed dealer' ship them back the dead one and let them battle my cc company. Pissing off your customers because a retailer found a loop hole in the contract is never a good idea. Anyway, back to our normal scheduled programming...DEALS! Where Dey AT!

• Members
  • Members

Nice grab, that is a cool little amp. If you ever want to mod it, here is a good discussion thread
The Mk.I mod by Twang is my amp, so I can't even say how they sound out of the box.

Just got mine and they are pretty decent right out of the box,Plenty loud for sure.For tone and effects I got my Boss ME-25

hooked up to it and its pretty sweet sounding. BTW thanks for that link for the mods,I am going to switch tubes and try to get a warmer tone..

• Members

Or just wait until one of us posts the link.
http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/Home.aspx?cat=secretstore1

You just made me spend another $130, PK. :mad::p

I've been thinking about trying one of those 'YouRock Guitar' midi controller things for a while, but just couldn't justify spending $200 on one. Well, that link advertises them at $150 PLUS I used the $30 off 'new customer' deal for a total price of $129 shipped! Not bad.

This little gadget definitely has potential:

FWIW, if I'm reading their website properly, it appears that YouRock is coming out with a new version later this year... HM is probably unloading their old stock.

• Members

Yep- That's thing...usually, to get a brand, you gotta commit to a certain number of pieces across the line, you can't just cherry pick the stuff that always sells, you gotta take their dog stuff too. So, honestly, if it were me and I had a way to say keep my Fender dealership, and dumpa bunch of slow movers at cost, I'd do it. I tend to the think the manufacturers overproduce, most need to narrow their lines. So, in this case, I was not gonna beat SWS up over this one item, but, I did say, well, if I can buy a new item for 30% less, SWS is going to have to find a way to deal with it. If I bought a Fender off HM, and then had an issue and Fender said they would not honor the warranty, I'd order another one from a 'blessed dealer' ship them back the dead one and let them battle my cc company. Pissing off your customers because a retailer found a loop hole in the contract is never a good idea. Anyway, back to our normal scheduled programming...DEALS! Where Dey AT!

That's not really a loophole, it's classic grey-marketing. Part of the margin goes toward supporting the warranty, so if the margin is non-standard, it's unreasonable to expect the warranty to be unaffected. Warranties cost money-save the money, but don't expect the company to support it if your outside the distrubution chain when you buy it.

• Members

That's not really a loophole, it's classic grey-marketing. Part of the margin goes toward supporting the warranty, so if the margin is non-standard, it's unreasonable to expect the warranty to be unaffected. Warranties cost money-save the money, but don't expect the company to support it if your outside the distrubution chain when you buy it.

how does that work? That margin is what the big box is making as profit, that should have absolutely nothing to do with supporting warranty, the manufacturer has already sold it at their profit margin to the big box, only the big box is losing here in this deal it would seem to me. Just like if I bought something brand new from anywhere, and then sold it on craigslist. The buyer then would be the 2nd owner, and therefore not usually covered by the warranty, but the place where I bought it from isn't affected. They just aren't making as much profit as if they sold it at normal retail price.

• Members

how does that work? That margin is what the big box is making as profit, that should have absolutely nothing to do with supporting warranty, the manufacturer has already sold it at their profit margin to the big box, only the big box is losing here in this deal it would seem to me.
Just like if I bought something brand new from anywhere, and then sold it on craigslist. The buyer then would be the 2nd owner, and therefore not usually covered by the warranty
, but the place where I bought it from isn't affected. They just aren't making as much profit as if they sold it at normal retail price.

That's exactly what's going on here. The big box stores are selling to HM. Then, HM is reselling to you, so there's no warranty. They aren't buying from the manufacturer, they're purchasing from a dealer and reselling. See how it's the same? The only difference is HM has some sort of arrangement where they get a substantial discount and buy in quantities from the dealer.

• Members

So, in this case, I was not gonna beat SWS up over this one item, but, I did say, well, if I can buy a new item for 30% less, SWS is going to have to find a way to deal with it.

SWS and the like don't really have a way to deal with it. They simply can't operate on that low of a margin. What they can offer is warranty support and customer service. If the buying public were to come to expect all retailers to work on HM margins, then the long term effect would be just a few surviving giants who would stay alive because of huge volume. At that point, with competition almost non-existent they would possibly raise prices, then the process may repeat itself.

If I bought a Fender off HM, and then had an issue and Fender said they would not honor the warranty, I'd order another one from a 'blessed dealer' ship them back the dead one and let them battle my cc company. Pissing off your customers because a retailer found a loop hole in the contract is never a good idea.

There is a major ethical issue (actually fraud) there, but aside from that, many manufacturers and vendors are tracking serial numbers to combat that kind of stuff. When you buy from HM, it is the same as buying a new condition, used item from the average Joe on Craigslist. i.e. no warranty. However, there are a few manufacturers who allow warranty transfers. But the item must have been originally purchased from an authorized dealer and most times a receipt is required (and most average Joes on Craigslist don't have that).

Archived