Did not like Agile, how does Xaviere compare?

Blackface

• Members

I tried two Agiles, I just couldn't get into them. One was a big hollowbody (maybe called Cool Cat?) and the other was a 2800 LP style that was semi hollow with a bigsby. They weren't bad guitars, I just didn't like them. I didn't like the pickups and or the finish on either one. Playability was OK for the price. I just didn't feel like Agiles were for me. Now I'm potentially looking for a cheap semi-hollow and I was wondering if I'd feel the same about Xaviere?

• Members

I tried two Agiles, I just couldn't get into them. One was a big hollowbody (maybe called Cool Cat?) and the other was a 2800 LP style that was semi hollow with a bigsby. They weren't bad guitars, I just didn't like them. I didn't like the pickups and or the finish on either one. Playability was OK for the price. I just didn't feel like Agiles were for me. Now I'm potentially looking for a cheap semi-hollow and I was wondering if I'd feel the same about Xaviere?

If you didn't like the Agile, you will hate the Xaviere. They have good pickups, but tend to have bad fretwork the majority of the time and their QC is not quite as good.

I have some of each, each Agile I have owned has been ready to go out of the box, low action and great playability with occasional finish issues but just picky stuff.

Every Xaviere i've had required extensive fret leveling and head dead spots and fret out at a few places on the board and had at least a few finish issues.

If you don't want to try the Harm, maybe try out an Ibanez or an Epi, but,

If the Agiles feel just OK to you, then I think you are shooting for the wrong price range to quality ratio.

• Members

Look at Epiphone or Ibanez. They are consistently well made and great playing guitars. Every Xaviere that I've had needed extensive setup work when I got it. I've only bought SX guitars from Rondo. They needed setup work when I got them also. After the setups are done on the Xaviere and SX's they are nice guitars. But it takes some tweaking to get them where they need to be.

• Members

Personally I would stay away from the X guitars. The 2 Agiles I still own have been great out of the box. If you don't want to try the Harm, look into finding a used Artcore AS73. Artcores are great guitars for the money.

• Members

With any guitar, whether it's a budget model or something more expensive, buying online is a crap shoot. If you have access to guitar stores and/or pawn shops in your area, I would try those first. While, you aren't likely to find Xaviere or Agile in those shops, there are plenty of affordable brand options out there as well as used stuff. You should keep trying guitars in stores until you find one that speaks to you.

I find it difficult to tell if a guitar simply needs a setup to be a great player, so I'll pick a guitar that feels like it's setup pretty close to the way I like. But, I've had to return a few guitars that turned out to have flaws in the neck. Most stores have some type of return policy. You may to pay a bit more because they have more overhead, but it's probably worth it to find the right guitar for you.

• Members

I have an Artcore. I like it, but it is for sale (not one here) , having just purchased a Manta Ray 390 limited, else I would keep it.... I thought the Artcore was better then the Epi's overall that I tried, but, with the Wildkat at $299, if a semi-hollow is where you are going, I don't see you can beat that or a Dot. The Artcores tend to be more money. Mine has some better gear on it though too, like roller bridge/upgraded tuners. Those are the things I tend to not like about Epi's. For all the talk on Xaviere and Agile, I have yet to play one, but I think they are probably in the same boat as an Epiphone, inconsistent from guitar to guitar, lower end hardware. I'd probably use searchtempest and look for a used Dot or Artcore.

• Members

buy_cheap1_large.jpg

And when that second cheapy fits the bill perfectly, you'll still have spent less than going all out on an expensive axe.

:poke: :thu:

My advice would be to look for an Ibanez Artcore or Epiphone. However, if you can find a Highland or Luna those might be perfect for you as well. Though its always a crap shoot if you can't play the guitar first or buy from someone with a liberal return policy.

• Members

And when that second cheapy fits the bill perfectly, you'll still have spent less than going all out on an expensive axe.

:poke:
:thu:

My advice would be to look for an Ibanez Artcore or Epiphone. However, if you can find a Highland or Luna those might be perfect for you as well. Though its always a crap shoot if you can't play the guitar first or buy from someone with a liberal return policy.

Yeah, but usually the second buy is just another notch in the journey. People just keep buying and buying, hoping to find something that's "as good as" something more expensive. In the end, they've spent a lot more than if they'd just bought a good one to start with. And no, a "good one" doesn't have to be >$1000.. But finding a "good one" for $200 is rare, especially for newbies that don't know how to shop.

• Members

Manta Rays
:rawk:
Killer guitars.

Yes....yes they do..:)

Hopefully I'll have some pics playing it out soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]344936[/ATTACH]

What do I have to do to get pics to display in posts? Do they have to have an HTTP addy?

• Members

Ive had two Xaviere guitars. A goldtop XV 500 (LP clone) which was decent enough for the money I paid ($140-- was a blem model). Needed a setup pretty badly on arrival, but after setup it played ok. Ended up selling it though within 6 months if that says anything. Then got their tele clone (XV 820) and the guitar was horrible. Even after fret level, dress and setup it still played like crap. Just kind of dead feeling. One of the worst guitars I have ever played to be honest. I traded that for a Squier Affinity Tele that was worlds better.

So my recomendation would probably to look elsewhere. The one Agile (I am at least mildy positive it was a AL 2000) I have played was better than that goldtop I had.

• Members

Yeah, but usually the second buy is just another notch in the journey. People just keep buying and buying, hoping to find something that's "as good as" something more expensive. In the end, they've spent a lot more than if they'd just bought a good one to start with. And no, a "good one" doesn't have to be >$1000.. But finding a "good one" for $200 is rare, especially for newbies that don't know how to shop.

I know. My keepers to date are:

PRS Singlecut SE (Korea) ~$550 had it for 4 years

Fernandes Thinline (Japan) ~$500 had it for approx 17 years

Luna Athena (China) got a great deal can't remember how much but it was closer to $500 than $200 had it for about 2 years

SX SST57 Stop Tail (China) ~$100 had it for about 4 years

So ~$500 seems to be my waterline, though that SST57 is crazy good especially considering the price. Maybe I just got a good one. I've got a couple more contenders, but its too soon to say they're keepers for sure and a few which will be leaving soon.

• Members

I've tried Xaiveres twice, and sent them both back. I won't bother with GFS again when it comes to their guitars.

This is my experience EXCEPT one X that I bought used on eBay and it had been set up very well by the original owner.

Archived