Did not like Agile, how does Xaviere compare?

Blackface

• Members

Yeah, but usually the second buy is just another notch in the journey. People just keep buying and buying, hoping to find something that's "as good as" something more expensive. In the end, they've spent a lot more than if they'd just bought a good one to start with. And no, a "good one" doesn't have to be >$1000.. But finding a "good one" for $200 is rare, especially for newbies that don't know how to shop.

You're making quite a few assumptions here.

• Members

You're making quite a few assumptions here.

No I'm not. I've been a member here a long time, and I've watched endless threads that start off as an NGD "OMG, the Agile is amazing!" that soon get followed up by "Selling my Agile, buying an Epi..." and eventually they end up at a "NGD! Finally got a real Gibson!" It's a progression I've seen many times around here.

• Members

No I'm not. I've been a member here a long time, and I've watched endless threads that start off as an NGD "OMG, the Agile is amazing!" that soon get followed up by "Selling my Agile, buying an Epi..." and eventually they end up at a "NGD! Finally got a real Gibson!" It's a progression I've seen many times around here.

Ok, well, I already own a few Gibsons and if I wanted one I'd buy one.

• Members

when they were $200 used, definitely. they've gone up in price considerably over the past few years though.

It seems like all those old good Japanese copies prices have skyrocketed in the past few years. Seems like an overpriced market at the moment.

• Members

Ok, well, I already own a few Gibsons and if I wanted one I'd buy one.

Happy for you, but that changes nothing that we've all seen happen on here. People swear by the cheap stuff until they get their hands on something special.. DCooper is a fine example of this. Dude used to crow about how awesome Epiphones were, how he'd never need to buy a Gibson because an Epi was every bit as good. Then one day he popped up with a Gibson. Then another, then another, then another.. I haven't seen him do an NGD for an Epi is years..

• Members

I tried two Agiles, I just couldn't get into them. One was a big hollowbody (maybe called Cool Cat?) and the other was a 2800 LP style that was semi hollow with a bigsby. They weren't bad guitars, I just didn't like them. I didn't like the pickups and or the finish on either one. Playability was OK for the price. I just didn't feel like Agiles were for me. Now I'm potentially looking for a cheap semi-hollow and I was wondering if I'd feel the same about Xaviere?

The Cool Cat Prestige was probably one of their best offerings ever. I think I paid $400 for one and I liked it so much I traded a friend for another. Seriously I own a few Gretsch guitars and some high end electric hollowbodies and the tone unplugged, build quality and playability of that model surpassed guitars costing 3 or 4 times as much.

Ebony fingerboard. Grover tuners. Fantastic flame figure. Roller bridge. What's not to like? Sorry but "I just didn't like them" isn't telling me much. "Just not for me" doesn't do much better.

The pickups weren't bad but I admit I did swap out pickups in both of mine. I notice that lately Rondo doesn't sell the Cool Cat Prestige as often...probably because it was too good quality of a guitar to make money on...and when it is offered it keeps going up in price. The electronics are sometimes shaky on Rondo guitars like bad switches and cheap pots. But for the money I can occasionally live with repairing those.

I drop Gretsch pickups in mine for a Nashville sound at 1/4 the price.

My only problem with Agile LP copies is their weight. Too heavy. Build quality and parts are usually pretty good but again I usually swap out pickups (I do that a lot anyway)

Even that can be looked at in a positive light. Agile makes them without weight relief holes like Gibson used to. You can look at it as more original. But you got a chambered one so I can't see what would be wrong with that.

• Members

Happy for you, but that changes nothing that we've all seen happen on here. People swear by the cheap stuff until they get their hands on something special.. DCooper is a fine example of this. Dude used to crow about how awesome Epiphones were, how he'd never need to buy a Gibson because an Epi was every bit as good. Then one day he popped up with a Gibson. Then another, then another, then another.. I haven't seen him do an NGD for an Epi is years..

Ok, regardless of what you think most people (DC Cooper, or whoever) people on this board do, that doesn't change my question. I'm not asking for them. Who are you to say what they're doing is wrong anyways?

• Members

Ok, regardless of what you think most people (DC Cooper, or whoever) people on this board do, that doesn't change my question. I'm not asking for them. Who are you to say what they're doing is wrong anyways?

don't waste your time arguing with haters. they just want to get your dander up. instead, check out this thread, as it might actually be helpful:

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=19987

• Members

About the only think I like about Gibson Les Pauls is that they still use nitro finish which wears better than poly in my opinion...but it ain't worth paying 4 grand for. They're notorious for breaking at the headstock. They also can be heavy unless they are drilled full of holes like swiss cheese these days...then it's not really a Les Paul is it?

The pickups aren't exactly Seth Lovers on them either.

• Members

when they were $200 used, definitely. they've gone up in price considerably over the past few years though.

I'm glad we're back on speaking terms.;)

I bought a 1981 Vantage VSH-445 for $450 about 2 years ago.

IMG_0353.jpg

It is head shoulders and everything else over the Artcore guitars to me. I have had a few of them and played a zillion of them (yep, that's a real number) and they feel like toys. That's not to say that they aren't well made but my wallet says the Vantage is worth $450 and my wallet says that the Ibanez Artcores aren't. My wallet is damn finicky so when it says something as strongly as it said that, I listen.

That, and the stock brass nut on the Vantage eclipses anything on the Artcores. I even recommend the Artcores quite often, but 'toy-like' is an inherent quality that they have for me.

• Members

I'm glad we're back on speaking terms.
;)

I bought a 1981 Vantage VSH-445 for $450 about 2 years ago.

IMG_0353.jpg
It is head shoulders and everything else over the Artcore guitars to me. I have had a few of them and played a zillion of them (yep, that's a real number) and they feel like toys. That's not to say that they aren't well made but my wallet says the Vantage is worth $450 and my wallet says that the Ibanez Artcores aren't. My wallet is damn finicky so when it says something as strongly as it said that, I listen.

That, and the stock brass nut on the Vantage eclipses anything on the Artcores. I even recommend the Artcores quite often, but 'toy-like' is an inherent quality that they have for me.

just curious why you sold it

• Members

just curious why you sold it

I didn't sell the Vantage. I am actually planning on installing a set of BG Pure 90 pickups in it.

*EDIT* I looked around and saw my ad from Guitar Museum. I don't recall what happened there if I didn't reply to a renewal email or if I marked it as no longer available - at any rate, I never told them it was sold so I have to think that is an error in the way that they run their site...while maintaining the possibility that they run their site 'just fine' and I have blacked-out the entire experience(?)

• Members

I own 3 les pauls, all bought brand new. from authorized dealers. a lp.standard, a lp axcess and a historic R9. i did not pay anywhere near 4k for any of them . not sure where u guys shop but i think we have too much exaggeration on both ends of the spectrum.

if u can be happy with an inexpensive guitar, more power to you. lots of guys are not but it doesn't make them wrong.

• Members

Never had an Agile (want an SX Callisto Special) but my Xaviere XV-610 (thin line Tele, Dream 180 buckers) was good to go out of the box; great pickups, no tuner, nut, or fret issues. Nut and neck much better than my Epi Dot, which needed more work.

• Members

As has been said, any time you buy sight-unseen, you run the risk of getting something you don't like.

In January I got one of the "new for 2012" Xaviere tele copies with the Fender-style headstock. Ash body, butterscotch, maple fretboard. The only issue out of the box was that the fret ends were sharp - and I mean "shred the skin on your hand" sharp - on both sides of the fretboard. I've never seen anything like it, and I've bought a number of guitars online. I've been planning to post a detailed review, but just haven't gotten around to it.

However, a couple of minutes with some fine grit sandpaper, and the issue was taken care of. I put on some .11s and it's been great. Incidentally, I emailed them about this issue, just as an FYI, but never heard back from them. WHich is fine - I wasn't asking for a response, I just wanted them to be aware of it because I'm comfortable enough to do simple work like this on my guitars, but for many this would have been a dealbreaker.

Some quick observations:

The neck is maybe ever-so-slightly thicker than a modern Fender "C". I like chunkier necks, but I don't necessarily dislike this one. I think the bigger issue for me is getting used to the 12" radius fretboard. I'm basically a Fender guy, and I think almost everything I have right now is 9.5". After a few months, I'm pretty much used to it, and it's grown on me.

The nut (which I think is fake bone or something) was cut very well - surprisingly well, actually. Many manufacturers err on the side of higher action at that end, for obvious reasons. This one seems just right - at least I haven't felt the need to shave any off the bottom at this point.

Other than the fret ends, the fretwork is fine. No high frets, no dead spots, they're all seated fine, well-dressed, etc. I tend to like my action a bit on the high side - once I changed strings and the new gauge settled it I raised the action just a bit - just for my taste, not due to buzzing.

Tuners are perfectly acceptable. They feel solid - no cheap - no real tuning issues. I have a set of Fender locking tuners that I may put on, just because I have them and they make string changes easier, but then again I don't think I really need to. But I was pleasantly surprised by the included tuners. Generally this seems to be the first place costs are cut.

This thing resonates like a mofo. Acoustically, it rings very well, and it's become my "couch guitar" for when I'm watching a game. The pickups sound great. The only amp I currently own is a Pro Jr. with a Mojo 70 speaker. (I think that's the one) But this guitar matches with it very well. Neck is nice and round without being boomy; both pickups together sound nice and balanced with a good amount of spank; bridge is bright without being spikey, probably all the twang anyone would need without sounding thin.

The switch and knobs feel very solid, very smooth, both volume and tone have a useable taper, no huge, sudden dropoffs or anything. I'm getting used to the 3 barrel bridge. Intonation is generally good enough. Had to adjust it a bit. This is the first tele-style guitar I've owned, so my research seems to indicate that intonation on these is more art than science. But the bridge hardware seems solid enough.

I decided to give this a shot because I've always wanted a butterscotch tele, and the cost of a real one isn't in the cards right now. The bottom line is that I'm ultimately very impressed with this guitar. To the point that I'd not hesitate to order another Xaviere - I would probably only order one of their newer models, though, based on mixed reviews in the past. I don't know if they have a new QC push going on (hopefully the answer is yes), but they seem to be tweaking some of their models lately. But if they can get rid of the sharp fret issue they have a guitar that compares extremely well with others in this price range (it was $189 with $20 shipping).

BTW, I compared it to some of the cheaper Squires in the same price range. In general I think the quality on Squires is also good, but the pickups are often lacking. I decided to take a chance based on the reputation of GF's pickups - and as I said, I like them a lot.

I've never played an Agile, and I've never played a Xaviere hollowbody, but I'm thinking about one of those next. (IF they offered it, I would want one of the new, thicker hollowbodies without their new proprietary trem, which just looks to be placed too far behind the bridge to be useful) but I see that the thinner hollowbody now has an upgraded bridge, though, as I said, I'd prefer a thicker body.

Anyway - good luck in your search! Take your time, your guitar will find you.

Archived