How do you guys give attention to more than two guitars?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

absence makes the heart grow fonder. I usually keep 2 within arms reach, and the others in a closet with new strings on. Once the strings start to fade I rotate them out.

I only have 4 and would think many more and some would never get played.

• Members

my cover band plays in Eb so I normally have two guitars in Eb for gigging.... my other 3 electrics stay in E so I can learn songs with out having to tune my giggin' guitars to E and I just play the one I feel like playing that day... Often I'd play one and like it drop the tuning to Eb and use it at a gig....

• Members

I have five guitars including one acoustic, and all but one fits a specific purpose for me. The other four get played as desired.

It's that fifth, odd man out, that gets neglected. I've just been waiting around for the right one to come along so I can hopefully trade in the other and replace it... If that makes sense.

I don't have a strat or a tele... So I'm thinking in going in that direction.

• Members

I play whichever one I feel like at that particular moment. I do like to play the same one during band practice though. If I never touch them then they get sold. It happens sometimes. Once things calm down (I just moved) there's a couple I will be offing. I have yet to regret any of the guitars I've sold.

• Members

If I had entire days of no responsibility, I wouldn't have enough time to give to my guitars.

Guitars give me (us) joy. I have a lot of them.

If I don't play one for a while and then pull it out to play, it's a renewed love affair. The return of a somewhat forgotten love and the feeling why you chose it in the first place. I'm going through this with my graffiti yellow American Standard Strat. I'm playing at extremely low volume so that I can hear the strings against it's maple fretboard and squeezing out all these exaggerated bends. I get lost in these ridiculous phrases that seem to be a small time consuming moment but they are re-discovering time capsules. I get lost in the experience and realize there's more toys to play with.

I have loads of toys that I don't give the proper time.

I have one wife and don't give her enough time.

I can't justify it.

These things just happen.

Sure I'd love to spend days just playing all these wonderful guitars, but I gotta make ends meet.

More so in this {censored}ty economy.

I've acquired so many cool guitars through the years. Kept some and foolishly let others go.

I didn't have a goal or plan to have the amount of guitars that I have. It's like I was 13 in 1966 and these cool guitars followed me home through the years.

I'm in the mind set of downsizing and it's a difficult process.

I'm toying with the idea of parting with 2 Strats but when I play them.....it's no way.

When you're a kid in a candy store, you don't think of the dentist.

You just enjoy it.

I'm at 106 guitars.

I had well over 130 guitars a few years ago.

Maintenance, or not dwelling on it, is the joy of the toys.

You won't know of the experience unless you're in it.

Great post. Very introspective. I can see, if I would have started way earlier in life( than 27) how I may have collected alot of guitars and amps. I keep stuff I like.

OP: I had 1 electric guitar for many years and played it every day. I could do that again if I had to. There is something cool about playing just one guitar, it just gets so comfortable.

Now I divide my time between about 7. I admit to always loving one a little more than the others, but the affair fades and I see the beauty of another fav in a new way....and so it goes.

• Members

OP: I had 1 electric guitar for many years and played it every day. I could do that again if I had to. There is something cool about playing just one guitar, it just gets so comfortable.

That's how I feel about my Strat. It was my only player for almost a decade that I'm forever attached to that guitar. I'm very emotionally connected and if I had to I could get by my entire life with it. However, with that being said, nothing gives you the pure classic RAWK sound like a Les Paul.

Don't get me wrong, I do have GAS, but at this point the GAS is for "non-essential" guitars. For example, I want an 1980s Fender Pink Floral guitar that I want to keep hung on my wall and look at, not actually play haha.

In an ideal world I would have 5 guitars. My Strat, my LP, hollow-body, guitar in Eb, and guitar in D. Seeing as how I'm having trouble giving attention to just two guitars, I think 5 would be the most I could handle playing.

• Members

It is a bit frustrating sometimes to have multiple guitars to choose from. Sometimes it's like I want to play them all... At other times I think, "now why in the world do I need so many guitars?... maybe I should sell them all except maybe one or two... maybe three..." Then I think, "Naaa!" and pick up another one.

• Members

I usually play my most recently acquired one most which is currently a Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster. Sometimes I feel I have too many guitars but I won't sell guitars that I received as gifts and the only guitar I'm selling isn't getting as much interest I would like.

• Members

If I had entire days of no responsibility, I wouldn't have enough time to give to my guitars.

Guitars give me (us) joy. I have a lot of them.

If I don't play one for a while and then pull it out to play, it's a renewed love affair. The return of a somewhat forgotten love and the feeling why you chose it in the first place. I'm going through this with my graffiti yellow American Standard Strat. I'm playing at extremely low volume so that I can hear the strings against it's maple fretboard and squeezing out all these exaggerated bends. I get lost in these ridiculous phrases that seem to be a small time consuming moment but they are re-discovering time capsules. I get lost in the experience and realize there's more toys to play with.

I have loads of toys that I don't give the proper time.

I have one wife and don't give her enough time.

I can't justify it.

These things just happen.

Sure I'd love to spend days just playing all these wonderful guitars, but I gotta make ends meet.

More so in this @#!*% economy.

I've acquired so many cool guitars through the years. Kept some and foolishly let others go.

I didn't have a goal or plan to have the amount of guitars that I have. It's like I was 13 in 1966 and these cool guitars followed me home through the years.

I'm in the mind set of downsizing and it's a difficult process.

I'm toying with the idea of parting with 2 Strats but when I play them.....it's no way.

When you're a kid in a candy store, you don't think of the dentist.

You just enjoy it.

I'm at 106 guitars.

I had well over 130 guitars a few years ago.

Maintenance, or not dwelling on it, is the joy of the toys.

You won't know of the experience unless you're in it.

So you have $50,000.00 or more just in guitars?

• Members

Is that a yes or no?

I really don't see how his assets are your business or has any value in this discussion. It would be silly of him to reply. He shouldn't have even said that (but I'm glad he let us know the depth of his love for it, what this forum is about). People get shot over ridiculously small sums of money.

On topic, I play one, but own nine. The one rotates, but is usually a strat of some sort.

Archived