How do you guys give attention to more than two guitars?

• Members

For the longest time, about 6 years, I only had one functioning guitar which was my fat Strat. I finally got a second guitar a few weeks ago, an LP faded cherry, from a forum member. Now that I have two guitars, I'm finding it very difficult to give my guitars and equal amount of attention.

The Strat "feels" right. I think Strats are the most ergonomically built guitars. In addition, I'm 100% emotionally attached to it because I have had since 2002. It was my friend during high school, college, and now the grown up world.

The Les Paul is just freaking awesome. When I plug it straight into the amp, it get the the pure sound of RAWK. I love the Les Paul tone.

I'm wondering how you guys with multiple guitars devote time to more than two guitars? I'm still finding it very difficult to give both my guitars enough attention, and when I play one more than the other I feel like I'm cheating on the other one haha.

Keep buying more guitars, you'll develop the skill

that's why they call us players.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Played the yellow Strat this morning.

Put the trem arm in a vice to get a better angle for me.

The burgundy is history.

It helped me get a Korina McCarty.

Haven't played yellow in a while.

Doesn't make me a bad person.

It's a keeper.

pairofamericanstrats3.jpg

• Members

I really don't see how his assets are your business or has any value in this discussion. It would be silly of him to reply. He shouldn't have even said that (but I'm glad he let us know the depth of his love for it, what this forum is about). People get shot over ridiculously small sums of money.

On topic, I play one, but own nine. The one rotates, but is usually a strat of some sort.

Well, if he has 106 guitars, which I'm sure he does, it's not hard for anyone to guess that $50,000.00 is likely a conservative estimate unless they are all cheapies, which I doubt. And you're right, it's not my business but who cares, I don't know who Bbreaker is, where he lives, etc.

On the other hand, he wants us to know about his collection.

• Members

one trick is to buy stuff with fairly different sounds from one another, so when when you want that sound, you'll pick that guitar...prolly why I'll always have a traditional strat of some kind hanging around and at least one P-90 guitar...

• Members

And you're right, it's not my business but who cares, I don't know who Bbreaker is, where he lives, etc.

Somebody on here knows BB or has done business with him. Not to make ya nervous BB, I'm sure youre already thinking like this, and I'm sorry to talk for you, but thefts usually start with public knowledge and are purported by someone you know.

His collection is worthy of a museum I'm sure, not for value. It's one mans curation of the history of guitars as they are relevant to him. Thats borderline art in itself.

• Members

Well, if he has 106 guitars, which I'm sure he does, it's not hard for anyone to guess that $50,000.00 is likely a conservative estimate unless they are all cheapies, which I doubt. And you're right, it's not my business but who cares, I don't know who Bbreaker is, where he lives, etc.

This is an electric guitar forum and I'm not the only HC'er who has posted guitars before.

When you say it's none of my business and then you ask if I have $59K in my guitars........... but who cares............:rolleyes:

I think this is a friendly forum.

• Members

This is an electric guitar forum and I'm not the only HC'er who has posted guitars before.

When you say it's none of my business and then you ask if I have $59K in my guitars........... but who cares............
:rolleyes:

No, first I asked if you had a minimum of 50k in guitars only. THEN, I said it was none of my business. See the difference?;)

I was as much of a statement of exclamation as it was a question and wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings or to put your collection at risk. Those things would be the last thing on my mind. You could have just told me you prefer not to say what the value might be and I would be fine with that.

That said, I hope you have a good security system. Regards, Steadfastly

• Members

When you say it's none of my business and then you ask if I have $59K in my guitars........... but who cares............
:rolleyes:

Rather than ask about fiances and worth I would rather just ask to see more pics! How about some pics of some non-traditional guitars? e.i. no Gibson, Fender, PRS. Can you show us something "different" and "out of the ordinary?"

• Members

No, first I asked if you had a minimum of 50k in guitars only. THEN, I said it was none of my business. See the difference?
;)

I was as much of a statement of exclamation as it was a question and wasn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings or to put your collection at risk. Those things would be the last thing on my mind. You could have just told me you prefer not to say what the value might be and I would be fine with that.

That said, I hope you have a good security system. Regards, Steadfastly

I meant to put the number at $50 K but my fat finger hit 9 instead of 0.

I do have an excellent security system; good neighbors and a good watch dog.

• Members

I agree. So far this is balancing my time between my two guitars. With one guitar being a Strat and the other being an LP it definitely forces me to balance.

Rather than ask about fiances and worth I would rather just ask to see more pics! How about some pics of some non-traditional guitars? e.i. no Gibson, Fender, PRS. Can you show us something "different" and "out of the ordinary?"

K.

That'll be a separate new thread.

• Members

I got down to nine (from eleven) but getting down any further is not likely to happen in the near future. As much as I hate to admit it, it's more likely that I'll add another one or two. In my case, I have no duplicates really (two Strats, different tones SSH/SSS, maple/rosewood) and I get something a little different out of them all. Also, you do realize that with only a couple guitars, you are only a few short years (conservatively - some budgets wear out faster) away from some major fretwork which is expensive and a bit of a gamble (re-fret). With several options it's a lot easier to allay that expense.

• Members

I got down to nine (from eleven) but getting down any further is not likely to happen in the near future. As much as I hate to admit it, it's more likely that I'll add another one or two. In my case, I have no duplicates really (two Strats, different tones SSH/SSS, maple/rosewood) and I get something a little different out of them all. Also, you do realize that with only a couple guitars, you are only a few short years (conservatively - some budgets wear out faster) away from some major fretwork which is expensive and a bit of a gamble (re-fret). With several options it's a lot easier to allay that expense.

Trust me I know. After playing the Strat now for about a decade the frets have definitely seen better days. Fortunately the guitar still doesn't suffer from fret buz and has low action, but I get where you're going. Some of the frets on the Strat are pretty flat now. I love that Strat so much though, and it's bonded so well with me that it plays like butter. I will not have any problems getting fret work done on it. It's still my #1 guitar. A pressing issue with the Strat is that it needs new wiring. The pots are scratchy now.

• Members
Also, you do realize that with only a couple guitars, you are only a few short years (conservatively - some budgets wear out faster) away from some major fretwork which is expensive and a bit of a gamble (re-fret). With several options it's a lot easier to allay that expense.

Yeah, until you end up in the spot I was in where 4/5 guitars needed refrets or similar work. The more guitars you have, the more maintenance cost. On the plus side, any future refrets I need will be done to stainless so that'll be the end of that.

• Members

Yeah, until you end up in the spot I was in where 4/5 guitars needed refrets or similar work. The more guitars you have, the more maintenance cost. On the plus side, any future refrets I need will be done to stainless so that'll be the end of that.

Good point in that you can only prolong the inevitable, something us chronic procrastinators don't like to think about. But in the short-term I do find myself shuffling what instruments I play with this in mind. I mean there are advantages to both types of thinking. With only say one type of guitar, I think one becomes more adept at the nuances it can produce. With several, you have more voices to choose from for different types of music.

PS I'd like to think I could eventually go SS as well but I'm not completely sure it doesn't take a little warmth away from the tone.

Archived