This forum has lost its way

docjeffrey

• Members

Almost 2 whole pages later I'm done practicing and getting ready to roll out the door to the show and you all are still going on about people playing stuff? Really hard to believe though someone said the magic words above. You should go to the lesson loft if you want to talk about actually playing. This is the gear doo hicky.

Name calling and shopping! Gee whiz, is it really that hard to understand?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just come here to look at guitar pr0n and argue with dumbasses.. This could be a knitting forum for all I care. Well, cept knitting pr0n is probably pretty boring. But I bet the old ladies on there would really put a good argument if you got em riled up.

Knitting sucks. Crochet is where it's at, bitch.

If you don't like it, I'll shove those stupid needles up your ass.

• Members

yep. i spend most of my time on another guitar forum. its a fantastic community and pretty close-knit. lots of really valuable sharing of information. when someone joins up who's just there to sell something or make trouble, they get run off pretty quickly. here, someone can make a thread or a post that blatantly insults all the other members, and the mods do nothing. its one thing to disagree, but to make blanket insults and just keep doing it to rile people up, well, the sense of community and decorum deteriorates pretty rapidly.

I could name at least a dozen like that. I just ignore them or actually put them on ignore. If everyone ignored them, they would change their attitude or simple leave.

• Members

EDIT: my bad..... post directed @ pesky

Who brought the friction into THIS thread ? You sir. Just because someone didn't agree with you.

You got banned from a Strat forum and a Squier forum because you refused to accept action by mods. You placed yourself ABOVE the forum rules there. And here you are demanding zero tolerance mod action on HC ?

That's hypocrisy my friend.

• Members

I blame the mods. They do nothing when people put up obvious troll threads. For a forum to thrive and be useful, the mods gotta do their thing. They're not.

If you want heavy-handed mods go to TGP. I don't come here for the troll threads but I enjoy HC's level of balance.

I agree with the OP's sentiment to an extent. But the problem resolves itself automatically for me because I don't engage in threads I don't care about. Also, the more I subscribe to threads the less I care about what's on the first page.

• Members

No offence to Doc Jeffrey - these days I actually really enjoy his posts for the excellent photos and level of detail provided - but I've been a member here for a number of years and I remember a time when he was one of the culprits responsible for negative posts and baiting other users, especially about lesser brands and country of origin. In that sense, I think he is worthy of praise for starting this confessional/thread as it shows a change of position.

However, the negativity that pervades this forum is nothing new. Some of the names have changed but since we can all post here anonymously it will continue until the end of time.

I hate to name names here and hope that Doc Jeffrey doesn't take offence. This is just how I remember it.

• Members

this forum never really had a way. it's only purpose was to keep the gear threads from dropping off the map in Guitar Jam. that's why the Electric Guitars forum was created by Scott Lehman in the first place. so there might actually be some discussion of guitars, instead of just shred vs. flog wars. the quality of those discussions was never a concern.

• Members

No offence to Doc Jeffrey - these days I actually really enjoy his posts for the excellent photos and level of detail provided - but I've been a member here for a number of years and I remember a time when he was one of the culprits responsible for negative posts and baiting other users, especially about lesser brands and country of origin. In that sense, I think he is worthy of praise for starting this confessional/thread as it shows a change of position.

However, the negativity that pervades this forum is nothing new. Some of the names have changed but since we can all post here anonymously it will continue until the end of time.

I hate to name names here and hope that Doc Jeffrey doesn't take offence. This is just how I remember it.

You folks helped enlighten me to the virtues of cool gear that didn't say Gibson on the headstock. No offense taken.

• Members

There are dramatically less folks here since the "upgrade". There are less threads that I am interested in, as well as less threads about horse{censored} I don't care about. It is still pretty easy to not open the threads I don't want to read.

I look forward to jj's posts, I don't know why you would want to ignore him. I will always open a thread started by jj, as well as ravencad and eg. Why? Because the chances are there is an interesting and stimulating conversation occurring in their threads. Also, they are funny sonsofbitches and I like to laugh. It makes me feel good.

• Members

For every douchebag I have seen post here, there is someone else I have seen whose opinion I have grown to respect. In some cases, I even respect the douchebags opinions, at least when it come to guitars. Personally I feel like I would like it here less if the mods were Nazis. We do a pretty good job of running off the ne'er do wells. The 20 page argument threads? Those of you complaining about those would find yourselves so bored if they were to disappear. Not to mention the best way to judge our fellow forumites character is to watch how they respond to these events.

• Members

Well, I come here to be entertained and to engage in conversation. I've posted a lot of music that is dear to me, and a lot of music that I've created myself. And really, the level of discussion those things generate is minimal, and really it's just a bunch of positive posts until one person decides to be a dick, and then it's a few posts squashing that out, and then it's back to the usual programming. It's fun, and sure, I appreciate the feedback, but I can get that in person where it's a lot more immediate and productive. Meanwhile, for all the dicks who seem to think it's so important to respond negatively to everything I post because of who I am and not what I say, it's more fun getting in arguments about gear because honestly nobody's feelings truly get hurt over that {censored}, so you can pretty much get into it as vicious as you like and nobody's really hurt by it, it's pretty harmless IMO. If it was possible to have balanced, critical discussions about actual forumers' playing and tone and writing in a way that didn't get real feelings hurt, we would.

• Members

I hate. Therefore, I am.

There is truth in this statement, however, its the easy way out and breeds negativity. Being positive is far more courageous. One of my wife's friends comes over periodically and literally bitches for 2 hours, if life is really that bad, just off yourself already instead of infecting everyone else with your {censored}. The end.