This forum has lost its way

docjeffrey

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, like a lot of other members I don't visit this forum much anymore. Part of it is because I've hardly been playing guitar for the past year. But also because there aren't many discussions or threads that really keep my interest. It's just kinda the same ideas over and over again and posts seem more half-hearted compared to before.

I don't want to be a traitor or anything, but I spend more time over at TGP these days. Something I never thought would happen, but I like the knowledgeable discussion there (after weeding out the cork-sniffers :rolleyes:).

I agree with some people, that this forum hasn't been the same since the upgrade. It lost some of its spark, sadly.

• Moderators

So what's the solution? :

Don't be so dramatic, have a laugh, love one another, spread the happiness around.

It may be that all the wisdom that came from this place has now been globally disseminated and every dude and his gal are buildin custom 'Casters better'n Leo ever did

Besides, I have the original map that shows the way back to where the forum was, I can mail copies at a moderate price depending on what sorta paper you wanted it printed on and whether you demand genuine HP toner or will any old generic powder do?

• Members

It's funny when I think of how many threads like this have been posted here over the years, lamenting the good old days at HC. I've started a good number of them myself.

Things were way better at HC back in the '70s, when music was still good.

• Members

Things were way better at HC back in the '70s, when music was still good.

I can't say if the Internet was better in the 70s, but there were definitely fewer flamewars and trolls. Of course, back then, everybody was more open minded, guitarists had skills and women cared, and of course, as you point out, music was much better.

• Members

Remember this is a gear forum. Look at the sub-forums: they are broken down by gear component just like the owners online shop. The discussions are about gear, the heated discussions are about the political and economic background to gear, the reviews are all for gear, the ads are all for gear....

This is not a music forum. There is nothing to facilitate uploading, sharing, commenting on or critiquing music. If it were, it would be different, but then it would be different.

• Members

I can't say if the Internet was better in the 70s, but there were definitely fewer flamewars and trolls. Of course, back then, everybody was more open minded, guitarists had skills and women cared, and of course, as you point out, music was much better.

And of course only one person could get on the internet at a time back then.

• Members

Forum cultures are fascinating. Even sub-forums which you would think would have some kind of commonality between them (GJ, MAPZ, EG, etc.) usually have completely different mindsets, inside jokes, etc. We're talking talking about fried food in GJ right meow.

• Members

you're quite the apologist. well, if i could change one thing about this place, it would be that people like jj and django were not here, spewing their venom and insults. but then again, its pretty easy to put them on the ignore list. django is already there. jj will join him.

On the contrary, all you have to offer is venom and insults. I have not insulted anyone in this forum, but have been met by an irrational barrage bizarrely-hostile of ad hominem attacks from day one.

I hope some day you will realize that your behavior is inappropriate and make the requisite changes.

• Members

That's why I stop by about once a month just to see if anything's changed.

It hasn't.

How's your playing lately? I've had a couple of nice surprises in my lead work this past month or so, and I'm spending a bit more time casually playing. I really should focus on learning something for real.

• Members

I stayed away for a few months
because I was busy actually creating some music and playing my guitars
, but the discussions here have gotten pretty meaningless. Mine included.

I honestly don't think that there are many people here who care about their playing or their tone. Threads that actually have something interesting about gear get pushed to page two in favor of "Korean guitars are...; Chinese guitars are..; Why would anyone buy ..."

Yes, I'm a member so I'm part of the problem.

So what's the solution? Crank up your amp and plug in your guitar and tell us how you got some amazing tone by doing something unexpected or unscripted. Or try routing your guitar into two amps sitting back to back and tell us what happens. Or run your signal through six bixonic expandoras and see what ghosts materialize (I hear that Billy Gibbons' ghost will appear--YES I know he's still alive--allegedly!).

Rock on, and tell us how you do it. I'll keep posting my {censored}ty music no matter what happens
:lol::mad::love::wave::cool::eek:
:poke:

The answer lies in the bolded. That said, I come to learn..digging through tens tons of crap to find one little pearl of wisdom. Those pearls have made a difference.

So I learned after a while, to not engage in every stupid thread, but to engage in those threads that have some hope of going somewhere, some value, something important. It's out there. Just look for it. Be picky.

• Members
... I come to learn..digging through tens tons of crap to find one little pearl of wisdom. Those pearls have made a difference ...

I've learned a lot from this place. I'm one of those odd people who played guitar but didn't really know a lot about them. I knew how to play - at least to a reasonable level - but I really didn't know much about the pros and cons of various types of instruments, frets, pickups, wood varieties, electronics ... I could go on.

• Members

Wow.

Some people's children.

I can only believe your poor mother has to say the same about you being her biggest mistake.

I mean, the thread title may as well have said:

"HEY EVERYONE!! Look at me! I'm over here! You know, the one picking his nose and eating his boogers! I'm here! Right here!

I matter!

Look! Look at me!

Hello?

Someone?

Anyone?

• Members

Wow.

Some people's children.

I can only believe your poor mother has to say the same about you being her biggest mistake.

I mean, the thread title may as well have said:

"HEY EVERYONE!! Look at me! I'm over here! You know, the one picking his nose and eating his boogers! I'm here! Right here!

I matter!

Look! Look at me!

Hello?

Someone?

Anyone?

^ This is why I stop by about once a month just to see if anything's changed.

It hasn't.

• Members

A cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is.

• Members

Don't be so dramatic, have a laugh, love one another, spread the happiness around.

It may be that all the wisdom that came from this place has now been globally disseminated and every dude and his gal are buildin custom 'Casters better'n Leo ever did

Besides, I have the original map that shows the way back to where the forum was, I can mail copies at a moderate price depending on what sorta paper you wanted it printed on and whether you demand genuine HP toner or will any old generic powder do?

Yes, I agree. Some people need to chill out. It's just a sad little forum people by hacks and wannabes, which can be very useful, but which should be mostly FOR FUN

(and for CSM to get his ideas for his articles in Guitarist of course)

• Members

A cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to recognize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their ability as above average, much higher than it actually is.

ISWYDT

• Members

On the contrary, all you have to offer is venom and insults. I have not insulted anyone in this forum, but have been met by an irrational barrage bizarrely-hostile of ad hominem attacks from day one.

I hope some day you will realize that your behavior is inappropriate and make the requisite changes.

It's quite clear that are here solely to argue and insert your venom in a manner which will ensure your survival, for the time being. You can argue all you like, because that's what you want but it is very obvious what you are all about.