This forum has lost its way

docjeffrey

• Members

I think this forum has a certain "flavour" that has been pretty consistent over the last decade. The edgy stuff seems to go in cycles and may be related to the fact that the world economy is so screwed at the moment, who knows...

It's not a place for internet newbs, or people that get offended easily, or generally soft people. I like it here and I think the mods have done an excellent jobs maintaining order while not trying to turn this place into Barney's Playhouse.

I play a LOT of guitar and I've never understood the "shut up and play your guitar" attitude that some have. If I was playing my guitar right now I wouldn't be on the forum. With the amount of time in the day it is possible to do both AND have a life to boot!!! I can play and sing, but playing and posting is a bridge too far for me. I don't come here to listen to other people's music, I come here to discuss.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's quite clear that are here solely to argue and insert your venom in a manner which will ensure your survival, for the time being. You can argue all you like, because that's what you want but it is very obvious what you are all about.

On the contrary, I have been nothing but polite and accommodating. Apparently expressing divergent opinion here is sufficient grounds for vicious personal attack.

It's sad. :(

• Members

I think this forum has a certain "flavour" that has been pretty consistent over the last decade. The edgy stuff seems to go in cycles and may be related to the fact that the world economy is so screwed at the moment, who knows...

It's not a place for internet newbs, or people that get offended easily, or generally soft people. I like it here and I think the mods have done an excellent jobs maintaining order while not trying to turn this place into Barney's Playhouse.

I play a LOT of guitar and I've never understood the "shut up and play your guitar" attitude that some have. If I was playing my guitar right now I wouldn't be on the forum. With the amount of time in the day it is possible to do both AND have a life to boot!!! I can play and sing, but playing and posting is a bridge too far for me. I don't come here to listen to other people's music, I come here to discuss.

I don't think that this forum has any personality per se. At least not when it is left to regulars.

• Members

With the amount of time in the day it is possible to do both AND have a life to boot!!! I can play and sing, but playing and posting is a bridge too far for me. I don't come here to listen to other people's music, I come here to discuss.

I'm with that.

I find that (as with a lot of Youtube) a lot of vids that people post are crap. I don't have much tolerance for it aside from once in a while if someone is seeking 'what is my biggest problem?' sort of advice. I can't listen to bad music often and I can't much do the 'keep at it man' and all of that. I can hardly even listen to my own recordings from 8 or 9 years ago because it is cringe fest even though I am really only cringing at the 'production' (read: SH!!TTYY production).

So yeah...I just come here to see what the topics of the day are. Look at and post pictures and offer advice when someone seems to be seeking it.

I was a member of a site that was ALL ABOUT posting music and rating it/discussing it...and the people who think THIS place is sour have never seen anything. That place was poison as anything. I think it was called gagrageband or something like that before the music program of that name came out.

• Members

I don't think that this forum has any personality per se. At least not when it is left to regulars.

Translation - I don't fit here, so the regulars that have made this place what it currently is need to be replaced by people that share my specific definition of what this forum should be.

Try going into a biker hangout and tell them that they're doing it all wrong and that they should spend more time riding and less time talking and drinking beer. You'll quickly get the point that the "problem" is yours.

• Members

Try going into a biker hangout and tell them that they're doing it all wrong and that they should spend more time riding and less time talking and drinking beer. You'll quickly get the point that the "problem" is yours.

Personally I'd say a better analogy would be going into a biker hangout and telling them they should be driving nice family hatchbacks and dressing more conservatively. Not that I've done such a thing - well, not twice anyway.

• Members

Translation - I don't fit here, so the regulars that have made this place what it currently is need to be replaced by people that share my specific definition of what this forum should be.

Well, what's shocking is that aside from vicious attacks against my person and against JJ, the forum is as mild as milquetoast. Day after day, thread topic matter ranges from subjects like, "HNGD to me - new Xavier" to "what Strat pickups should I use for good blues tones."

But then, when a divergent opinion appears, the knives come out. It's like a highly evolved ecosystem, existing in perfect blandness and stasis, until invaded by divergent opinions.

In summary, the good denizens of HCEG are the white blood cells of someone suffering from allergies.

• Members

this board is the same as it's been since i joined, minus people giving stuff away to people in bad situations. the free stuff thread has been long forgotten as well. people still dont give a rats ass about music here, they only care about wasting money on guitars and getting into arguments about gibson. seriously, nothing but the charitable side of this board has changed.

• Members

^^ That's true to a great extent. Some people do give a rat's arse about music, but this isn't really much of a place to get into any kind of useful conversation about music unfortunately. However, it can be a place to identify other like-minded folk with whom, eventually, you could exchange musical ideas, or even collaborate.

To cite a couple:

Musical collaborators: Mistersully, Jkater, and some others like Great Dane and DavidMgt (or whatever his name is)

Musical ideas: Honeyiscool

And then there is the walking encyclopedia of guitar and amp knowledge himself: Wyatt

Apart from that there are the kings of forum wit: DaveAronow and JJ Pistols (whoever he is)

And our very own music journalist who has basically met most of the bands worth meeting (at least in UK): CSM.

• Members

This forum was off track, it seems to be going back on, even Django seems tolerable suddenly.

Everyone ran off skyforger. Wish I was smart enough to get his FB or something before he jetted. I actually miss the kid. I pm'ed him,no response.

• Moderators

For the record:
I followed the breadcrumbs all of the way back and this forum has not lost its way. It is still on target.

Good job, I like your style, now maybe we can close this thread seeing as we have positive proof that this is merely the hysterical witterings of an old woman who smells of stale piss

• Members

I had a username that was years old, so it would not reactivate. I was gone for about 5 years, and the conversations haven't changed. It's like not watching a soap opera, the players may have changed, but the stories are the same. The best guitar player is, the best guitars are, the best strings... Everyone's got an opinion. I came back with a fresh perspective. I'm looking for successes people have, and I offer a little advice, but I stay out of threads like that...

... Except this one. :^)

• Members

I missed this, what happened? He seemed ok to me.

I would suggest everyone who misses the kid PM and tell him so. He was on yesterday.

Um, I can't speak for him, I don't know why he isn't posting. I do know I got gangbanged on here over something silly and he got caught in the crossfire defending me so I feel partly responsible.