This forum has lost its way

docjeffrey

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I blame the mods. They do nothing when people put up obvious troll threads. For a forum to thrive and be useful, the mods gotta do their thing. They're not.

Exactly right.

Many of the 'issues' around here could be easily remedied by simply enforcing the forum rules. Apparently, that isn't going to happen...

• Members

I like this place. I've found some really cool people here. Same wish OSG and ILF.

There are plenty of really cool people here. It's always been that way, even though a percentage of turnover is involved. There are lots of idiots, assholes and people who want to make everything their way, too. Kind of like everywhere in the world, I reckon.

I try to talk mostly to the cool people. I try to remember that even some of the blustery and snarky folk are decent sorts, and even the coolest people are bound to disagree with me on something, sometime.

It's cool that we have freedom here to be a bit stupid at times, although there is definitely a mean streak that gets exposed here. A willingness to make a cyber lynch mob that is a bit scary, really, but probably also not unlike real life. I don't know, I'm not a highly educated sociologist or anything, just a guy who makes noise sometimes.

If you enjoy it, and it doesn't make your life harder, then why not enjoy it?

• Members

well, speak of the devil.

If this is how you sum up JJ then i submit that you have little perspective of JJ's contributions here. You also probably don't understand jj's motives. I assure you it is not maliciousness. If you cite some specific examples of where jj just insults people (without provokation), I bet I could explain where its coming from.

I will sum up his platform (as I understand it). JJ is of the feeling that people spend too much time buying gear instead of practicing. They spend too much time arguing and if/when they do, not creatively at all. If he could change one thing about this place it would be that more people posted clips of playing and gave feedback to those who do. It is as if nobody cares about playing anymore. The irony is the purpose of THIS thread.

• Members

If this is how you sum up JJ then i submit that you have little perspective of JJ's contributions here. You also probably don't understand jj's motives. I assure you it is not maliciousness. If you cite some specific examples of where jj just insults people (without provokation), I bet I could explain where its coming from.

I will sum up his platform (as I understand it). JJ is of the feeling that people spend too much time buying gear instead of practicing. They spend too much time arguing and if/when they do, not creatively at all. If he could change one thing about this place it would be that more people posted clips of playing and gave feedback to those who do. It is as if nobody cares about playing anymore. The irony is the purpose of THIS thread.

you're quite the apologist. well, if i could change one thing about this place, it would be that people like jj and django were not here, spewing their venom and insults. but then again, its pretty easy to put them on the ignore list. django is already there. jj will join him.

• Members

you're quite the apologist. well, if i could change one thing about this place, it would be that people like jj and django were not here, spewing their venom and insults. but then again, its pretty easy to put them on the ignore list. django is already there. jj will join him.

I bet a healthy percentage of your posts are just you insulting forumites that you've decided don't belong here. How many posts do you have in the Leo's Mistake thread? How many are about guitars even remotely?

• Members

You say I am an apologist. I asked you to show me something to defend. He doesn't need me to defend him, but I have paid attention over the years, and I bet I could explain things... especially for peace's sake. JJ's been one of the kindest guys on this forum in spite of the fact he won't care for a moment if put him on your ignore list.

• Members

JJ's been one of the kindest guys on this forum in spite of the fact he won't care for a moment if put him on your ignore list.

i'm not putting him on my ignore list to hurt his feelings. i'm putting him on my ignore list because my time here will be more pleasant and useful if i don't have to read his posts.

he's more than welcome to put me on his ignore list.

• Members

i'm not putting him on my ignore list to hurt his feelings. i'm putting him on my ignore list because my time here will be more pleasant and useful if i don't have to read his posts.

You're quite magnanimous, thank you. If its all the same to you, I'll continue to passively not really give a {censored} what you do.

• Members

I stayed away for a few months because I was busy actually creating some music and playing my guitars, but the discussions here have gotten pretty meaningless. Mine included.

Doesn't this happen every year around when school's out for the summer?

• Members

You say I am an apologist. I asked you to show me something to defend.

if you don't consider this thread he started to be both insulting to the entire membership and obviously a troll thread, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on the character of JJPistols:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2860057-Nobody-at-HCEG-is-a-bluesman

• Members

if you don't consider this thread he started to be both insulting to the entire membership and obviously a troll thread, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on the character of JJPistols:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2860057-Nobody-at-HCEG-is-a-bluesman

Ha. Looks like he's got you there, Grinder. This Pistols character is a bad seed. A sad, bad seed, indeed.

• Members

People don't give a {censored} about playing. Shopping and name calling is where it's at, hippie!

Very true. I have posted several videos and clips and none have received more than a handful of replies if any. But throw up a picture of a new color run of a tele and it will be at least 3 pages.

• Members

i put myself on my ignore list... i'm so sick and tired of reading bull{censored} i come up with

i'd edit that ^ but i have no idea what i just said

• Members
I blame the mods. They do nothing when people put up obvious troll threads. For a forum to thrive and be useful, the mods gotta do their thing. They're not.

You may not realize it, but the mods here are very good. Take a look at the Amps or Effects forums. Here, if there is a problem, report the post and the mods will clean up the thread. It keeps this place civil. I can't say that about Amps and Effects.

• Members

pesky, that bluesman thread was a proclamation. It was meant for a certain portion of the membership, namely the guys who in any way projected themselves as bluesmen. While it was meant really as a jab toward a small subset, it was disguised as a troll thread. Some guys took the bait even though many hints were given that it was NOT to be taken seriously.

A little background as to why JJ called out that "subset". Earlier that day, some kid had posted a clip of himself playing "blues" (I recall it was pentatonically based). Some guys started preaching blues gospel and critiquing his bends as inauthentic. Mind you these were not guys of the prototypical bluesman demographic. JJ had no problem with the kid, his clip, or his use of the word blues, but when some middle aged white guys started *educatin'* the lad jj was inspired.

I think his thread caught many off guard. That crap has happened a lot to me here; when I can TELL there is a back story I don't know. I just shrug and move on. Not everything in sinister.

• Members

here's a fun thing to do with the ignore function... i used to do it at other forums with great success... i've thought about doing it here but i'm not sure if ignore lists work the same way here

think of someone that's really into themself... someone that loves to post long posts ... you send them a pm asking about a subject that you know they're really into... then you stick 'em on ignore.... they'll take the time to write out a freaking essay as their response to you... they'll passionately pour their heart and soul into it, ecstatic that someone values their wealth of experience as much as they do.... but when they excitedly hit the send button they'll be informed that the message can't be sent because they're on your ignore list

good times

• Members

Exactly right.

Many of the 'issues' around here could be easily remedied by simply enforcing the forum rules. Apparently, that isn't going to happen...

totally agree. The mods always did a great job of letting discussions get interesting, but once they crossed the line, they were shut down. Trolls were banned, and we had some seriously fun discussions. We donated parts for guys and one lady (Stratogirl) that either lost gear in a bad trade, or simply could not afford/find a nice guitar. I used to buy and sell gear here a lot. Lately (like the past 2 years), the mods seem to be letting this place slide into the abyss like Guitar Jam. How about the mods either get on the ball here, or pick up a few new ones that will enforce the guidelines.

• Members

Almost 2 whole pages later I'm done practicing and getting ready to roll out the door to the show and you all are still going on about people playing stuff? Really hard to believe though someone said the magic words above. You should go to the lesson loft if you want to talk about actually playing. This is the gear doo hicky.