The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by boosh
I like the sounds ,....I love the song.
But have you ever,...(I'm not trying to get ya pissed at me) have you ever tried playing with a metronome? Or did you time it this way on purpose?
Assuming you mean me...

I was shooting for a rubato deal with that one. Believe me, it was tracked with a time reference. You can't do six or eight tracks of guitar without a time reference.

If you listen closely to the second part ("When my fist clenches" for those of you singing along at home) that was recorded very tight to a 4/4 click. I wanted the rhythmic intensity to come all from the phrasing. I tried a few percussion accents, but wasn't really happy with the sounds, so I scrapped it.

You want rhythmic? Light the Fuse wink.gif

• Members
I like the sounds ,....I love the song.
But have you ever,...(I'm not trying to get ya pissed at me) have you ever tried playing with a metronome? Or did you time it this way on purpose?
Assuming you mean me...

I was shooting for a rubato deal with that one. Believe me, it was tracked with a time reference. You can't do six or eight tracks of guitar without a time reference.

If you listen closely to the second part ("When my fist clenches" for those of you singing along at home) that was recorded very tight to a 4/4 click. I wanted the rhythmic intensity to come all from the phrasing. I tried a few percussion accents, but wasn't really happy with the sounds, so I scrapped it.

You want rhythmic? Light the Fuse wink.gif

• Members
Originally posted by Billster

Assuming you mean me...

You want rhythmic? www.berkleemusic.com/assets/display/2108898/2108897.mp3]Light the Fuse[/url] wink.gif

I've been listening for 11 hours straight on today so maybe my ears are fatigued but,....

The riddim parts in both songs are tight,.. the solo parts seem sloppy timed.

I dig that last tune by the way man! It grooves. I wish it had more lyrics. Is this a working version to write lyrics to? Bass sounds cool also,.. It's about the same stuff we do with Bushcollectors. Very very cool. Is there more?

• Members
Originally posted by Billster

Assuming you mean me...

You want rhythmic? www.berkleemusic.com/assets/display/2108898/2108897.mp3]Light the Fuse[/url] wink.gif

I've been listening for 11 hours straight on today so maybe my ears are fatigued but,....

I dig that last tune by the way man! It grooves. I wish it had more lyrics. Is this a working version to write lyrics to? Bass sounds cool also,.. It's about the same stuff we do with Bushcollectors. Very very cool. Is there more?

• Members

Thanks for listening cool.gif

That "Light the Fuse" tune is as it is. I don't know quite what to make of it, it's just sort of an experiment with some groove stuff and harmonizing with parallel structures. It's sort of an anomaly for me, I'm not usually that groov-a-licious.

As for the solos being ah ... let's say "less precise", I guess I just have to say that's my style.

• Members

Thanks for listening cool.gif

That "Light the Fuse" tune is as it is. I don't know quite what to make of it, it's just sort of an experiment with some groove stuff and harmonizing with parallel structures. It's sort of an anomaly for me, I'm not usually that groov-a-licious.

As for the solos being ah ... let's say "less precise", I guess I just have to say that's my style.

• Members

I'm always a bit sheepish about putting my own stuff up in one of these threads for a couple reasons:

I already know what it sounds like and I know it's often sloppy and often compromised by technical issues -- because I put feel and intuition above all other considerations, as a rule.

When I was working for other folks, I labored to deliver the best technical recordings I could. But that stuff never really made much difference to me, personally. Some of my favorite records are a mess, technically.

So, with those lame excuses firmly in mind...

www.soundclick.com/onebluenine

Or cut straight to the DL page: one blue nine downloads

wink.gif

• Members

I'm always a bit sheepish about putting my own stuff up in one of these threads for a couple reasons:

I already know what it sounds like and I know it's often sloppy and often compromised by technical issues -- because I put feel and intuition above all other considerations, as a rule.

When I was working for other folks, I labored to deliver the best technical recordings I could. But that stuff never really made much difference to me, personally. Some of my favorite records are a mess, technically.

So, with those lame excuses firmly in mind...

www.soundclick.com/onebluenine

Or cut straight to the DL page: one blue nine downloads

wink.gif

• Members
Originally posted by blue2blue
Whoa. eek.gif

I'm blushing bright red... You're way too kind.

Of course, now anything nice you say to anyone else will be immediately suspect. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
Okay,..they all suck actually,..but your postcount is allmost twice the amount of mine,....

That's about it,..uhhmm and yeah your feet smell. biggrin.gif

Nuh I really dig music like that,....A lot of them triphop stuff comes from Bristol UK,..they have some awesome bands out there all stuff like this.

• Members
Thanks.

I got another nice compliment earlier today -- and though I probably seem at times preternaturally self-confident (or perhaps self-justified) these compliments have come at just the right time. I've been feeling quite the ugly duckling, lately. (That's what I get for listening to my own podcast. biggrin.gif )

wink.gif

• Members

Bunny's "Lemon Frosting" is, as others have suggested, a delight. It's... confectionary. Pretty darn irressitable.

Comparisons to famous bands, of course, are the bane of threads like this, so please don't misunderstand, but Bunny's "Lovely Day" has some nice little (and not so little) production touches that make me think (in a very good way) of sort of a bit of 10cc crossed with a bit of Gentle Giant. And I think that's pretty cool.

Ted's "The Way It Goes" has a nice arty/jazzy bossa thing going that I like quite a bit. It's well-served by Ted's earnest, fluid tenor. I could really hear this in an alternative mix with Swingles Singer type baroquisms flowing up off Ted's delicately swinging scat singing. Nice... (And I'm fond of leaving a few little documentary touches in my recordings, too, like the sound of Ted putting down each guitar at the very end of the track.)

Guilty delight: "Walk Away, Renee"... digging this. Ted's voice is well suited to the song and the harmonies. Yearning, yearning, yearning. I like that solo, too...

I'm really digging Geoff's moody trip hop flavored stuff. Did "How Could They" cut off suddenly or is that a MySpace-related ish? And I like the impressionistic neoclassical elements in "Je Deteste L'Autobus"... great title, to boot. I'm liking "Stay Awake" a lot, too, especially where it veers into a bluesy thing right at the end. Miniatures, I guess you'd call these pieces. I'm feeling very continental...

• Members

I liked the majesty and emotiveness of Bill's "Behind Blue Eyes" interpretation. It really shows, I think, a keen understanding of the song's emotional undercurrents. The impressionistic time worked overall, I think... I liked the urgency of the, uh... accelerandi (the speedups, as we used to say in my old punk bands).

"Light the Fuse" (which I already have in my personal mp3 collection) has got a lot of great guitar elements in it. There's some guitar intellectualism (I'm thinking) in there that shows a keen harmonic intuition/understanding. But, at 6'36", I think it's evocative of some of the challenges that face 'all-guitar' instrumentals... EVEN with all that brainiac playing biggrin.gif

In some ways, I think the confines of some of the formal decisions work really well to set up the 'freak-out' in the middle of the song and I didn't lose sight of the fact that the formalist experimentalism didn't stop there. But... that was kind of the emotional/intellecutal high point and it was just about halfway through, leaving me looking at my watch a couple times toward the end of the show. (With regard to guitar harmonies in general... I burned out on them in the 70s and that part of my brain never grew back. But, yeah, I have a couple in my catalog, too. They're so interesting when you're doing them... biggrin.gif )

And I LOVE those bends, Bill. You really weave together some interesting elements.

• Members
Originally posted by Jimbroni
Another vote for bunny. Good stuff.

Blue, I'm totally impressed with you're repetoire and the mixes are very well done.

You guys make me embarassed to post my stuff, but here it is.

Mercury Catfish
Go on.

Mercury Catfish totally rocks.

I'm listening to "Fifth Wheel"... great feel... the spacey little bass solo sets up the finale so well... I'm on my feet. (Well, actually I'm on my ass but, in my head I've got both hands in the air and I'm spilling my O'Doull's all over the cute little southern girl in the tank top next to me.

"Miles of Space" is... oh... about as different from "Fifth Wheel" as I could imagine. I was wondering about the name but not once the drums came in... and my word, that bass is, oh what was that slang phrase? Oh yeah, funky as hell. And a wild change-up, too.

Love the elemental, funky guitars, the slide work, and the jazzy keyboards running through everything.

Love to see Mercury Catfish in a small club... I'd like to get to know the little Southern girl in the tanktop next to me in my imagination... "Fifth Wheel" could be our song...

biggrin.gif

I really liked G-Dub and Larry Green's production, "Time"... old skool is my skool... great little song, lots of nice musical and production touches.

One thing, though, on my rig it sounded like it had a couple of 'holes' in the bass. Wasn't that there wasn't bass there, but it didn't have the smooth steady, basketball-in-the-chest Spinners-type bass that I want from this kind of song... I'm thinking if you put it on a spectragraphic display you'd see some uneveness at the bottom. I used to get mixes like that when I was mixing on some JBL 4311's in a bad room. Without realizing it, I was compensating for the uneveness of my monitoring setup/environment.) Anyhow, if I didn't dig the song so much, I wouldn't go on... wink.gif

"Come Get This Love"... a little boudoir R&B... more smooth performances, fine arrangement. But, again, some more or less easy to fix issues with the bass... I'm thinking this wasn't mixed in the same room as the first (or it was mixed with a different sized entourage biggrin.gif )... I'm really enjoying the sax and singing and overall groove. I feel like dressin' up and goin' out... (One thing, this mp3 ends a bit abruptly. Might want to ease that fade a little slower.)

I'm so mellow now...

MORE insufferably irresistable pop, this decidedly downhome/outsider: "Sunshine Cherry" by Murk

Archived