The Most Perfect Rock Song Of All Time

DaveAronow

• Members

I have to agree with the opening post.

If someone who had never heard rock before came up to me and said "what is rock and roll"....I'd play them Highway to Hell....and ACDC would get their pictures in the dictionary AS the definition.

They are the perfect R&R band......straight ahead, not too heavy, not too soft, not too bluesy, or jazzy or funky or metal or punk or moody...massive foot tapping head nodding fist pumping hooks,..pentatonic solos....they didn't come out too early that they were "inventing" the sound...like chuck berry or the Brit bands....but not too late that it had been done before.

Yep....ACDC. All the way.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, I'm with you on that one. No question that Chuck Berry is one of the Master Architects of Rock and Roll. almost anything else you can think of that came after and is considered rock and roll has some precedent in something Berry did. Bo Diddley's influence can't be overstated either.

Johnny B. Goode is far from being my fave Berry song, but it is undoubtedly part of the blueprint of rock and roll. I think you could argue that there never would have BEEN a "You Really got Me" or "Satisfaction" or most of the others mentioned here had it not been for Chuck Berry (even though Berry also aped his own influences and purveyed them into new formulas, helping to create rock and roll.)

na...it's too early....it's important for what it spawned...but it's like saying a model T or a model A was the best car of all time or 'defines' what a car is. When people think of the word "car"...the image in their heads isn't a model T. And if an alien abducted you and asked you to draw what a car looks like.....you wouldn't draw a model T...you'd draw a typical sedan design that hasn't changed really...since the 50's or 60's.

• Moderators

Ideally the most PERFECT rock song would encapsulate:

1. Mind destroying vocal power

2. Have a ballady passage

3. Tell a great story or embody a cool message

4. Have great and pounding rhythm section

5. At least 1 astounding and completely improbable guitar solo, preferably two

Know ye of such a song?

I have a sneaking feeling the answer contain Deep Purple or Dio Rainbow, but which song I don't know

• Members

Know ye of such a song?

I have a sneaking feeling the answer contain Deep Purple or Dio Rainbow, but which song I don't know

• Members

For me, I'd have to go with AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long although Beautiful Girls from Van Halen II is a good choice.

For crowd reaction: Don't Stop Believin', Sweet Child 'O Mine and Pour Some Sugar on Me

Geez, who's a fan of the '80s?

• Members

how old am I?

Well when this was released, the vacuous Peter Powell Radio One DJ, went all silly over it.

"oooh" he gushed, "this new band has really captured that authentic 70s West Coast sound".

Not know of course it was Starship aka Jefferson Starship aka Jefferson Airplane, who indeed did.

Gracie was good but it is not best of all time.

How MAny More times is up there.

• Members

I can actually answer your question. I think Stairway is one of the closest to perfect rock songs...it also happens to be a song I don't particularly like. It's kinda like Strats...I don't like them personally...but I certainly can't deny they are one of if not the most popular, versatile guitars ever made.

• Members

na...it's too early....it's important for what it spawned...but it's like saying a model T or a model A was the best car of all time or 'defines' what a car is. When people think of the word "car"...the image in their heads isn't a model T. And if an alien abducted you and asked you to draw what a car looks like.....you wouldn't draw a model T...you'd draw a typical sedan design that hasn't changed really...since the 50's or 60's.

I see what you are saying, but using your analogy, the point I was trying to make was that, without the Model T and Model A, there likely wouldn't have been the "typical sedan design" you mentioned, or it at least would likely be something quite different.

• Members

Know ye of such a song?

I would probably list dozens of songs without this being on it for "greatest rock & roll song ever", but when I read your criteria THIS song came to mind: "Still The One" - by Orleans has all of that. A bit "poppy" for the list but it has all the elements IMO

• Members

The more I think about it, the more I realize that for me anyway there can't be just ONE perfect rock song, because there are several elements that can make up a good rock song but not ALL of those elements can coexist within the same song.

Stairway to Heaven is *a* perfect rock song, no matter how overplayed it is. Blitzkrieg Bop is ALSO a perfect rock song. But no song can possibly be both Stairway and Blitzkrieg Bop; the qualities that make each song great would make the other one worse.

• Members

I have to agree with the opening post.

If someone who had never heard rock before came up to me and said "what is rock and roll"....I'd play them Highway to Hell....and ACDC would get their pictures in the dictionary AS the definition.

They are the perfect R&R band......straight ahead, not too heavy, not too soft, not too bluesy, or jazzy or funky or metal or punk or moody...massive foot tapping head nodding fist pumping hooks,..pentatonic solos....they didn't come out too early that they were "inventing" the sound...like chuck berry or the Brit bands....but not too late that it had been done before.

Yep....ACDC. All the way.

yup...if an alien came down asked to be rocked Id put on some bon scott ac/dc.

the best, well crafted rock song? 10 years gone.

• Members

Know ye of such a song?

Jeremy by Pearl Jam?

Archived