The Most Perfect Rock Song Of All Time

DaveAronow

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys will kill me for this because it has been beaten to death, brought back to life and then beaten to death again not to mention some of the alleged duchebaggery of some of the members but, yeah, Hotel California. Try to imagine it as if hearing it for the first time wgen it was fresh in your head. Song pretty much has evrrything. But Im sill sticking with Highway to Hell.

Hotel California would make my top 30. Highway to Hell wouldn't make my top 1,000.

• Members

A good rock song should be no more than 3-4 minutes long, maximum of 3-4 chords, have a beat you can dance to, and have a killer riff. So my choice for the "perfect" rock song of all time is Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones.

Completely

agree for all the reasons you named. Satisfaction is a perfect rock song.

• Members

As my wife, Olivia has just said 'it's Uber-subjective'. If you ask me tomorrow, the answer will be different.

I don't even like Queen that much, but when I think of rock song perfection, I think of this song. It has everything, it's not formulaic, it's got da wock, it's got melody, drama, technical brilliance, tension, atmosphere. It's near {censored}ing perfect.

[video=youtube;fJ9rUzIMcZQ]

I guess wock also, in its 'perfect' form has to be rather cheesy and on the edge being a bit {censored}, while also somehow being great:

[video=youtube;SEuKkcX1uKA]

• Members

Rush - ByTor and the Snow Dog
:thu:

Rush is my band, and I can't get behind this one. If anything Working Man.

And no love for Shook Me All Night? Iconic opening riff, thumping beat, simple chords, getting laid. Rock.

Wooly Bully? Are you a WW1vet? ( easy, just ribbing)

Johnny B Goode? Did you hand out at Arnolds?

We should lay down some parameters..

Subjects: Drugs, booze, sex, crime, misbehaving, the suck or life or need to party

Chords: 4, tops

Riffs: INSTANTLY known by Non musicians

Speed: Fast /110 or above

Satisfaction = Sex

U Shook Me=Sex

Comfortably Numb= drugs

Highway=misbehaving

Bohemian=Crime-murder

Hotel California= Drug Culture AND Corporate Control of Radio aka The Man

• Members

Rush is my band, and I can't get behind this one. If anything Working Man.

And no love for Shook Me All Night? Iconic opening riff, thumping beat, simple chords, getting laid. Rock.

Wooly Bully? Are you a WW1vet? ( easy, just ribbing)

Johnny B Goode? Did you hand out at Arnolds?

We should lay down some parameters..

Subjects: Drugs, booze, sex, crime, misbehaving, the suck or life or need to party

Chords: 4, tops

Riffs: INSTANTLY known by Non musicians

Speed: Fast /110 or above

Satisfaction = Sex

U Shook Me=Sex

Comfortably Numb= drugs

Highway=misbehaving

Bohemian=Crime-murder

Hotel California= Drug Culture AND Corporate Control of Radio aka The Man

Hard to argue with most of this, but for Rush as far as pure rock, Id probably go with Spirit of the radio. To use your parameters, the opening riff alone sets it above working man which is also a great rock song.

Archived