The Most Perfect Rock Song Of All Time

DaveAronow

• Members

Hard to argue with most of this, but for Rush as far as pure rock, Id probably go with Spirit of the radio. To use your parameters, the opening riff alone sets it above working man which is also a great rock song.

Yeah, but I think SoR breaks the four chord parameter.....Still, iconic riff..

This list is really endless. I hit that Mississippi Queen post, and fired up the amp and played it for 30 minutes..my kids are lile " dad, can you stop that and make dinner"..my answer " Mississippi Queen! She'll cook you anything!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1. Remember the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk"? In an early scene, he finds "his" music on the radio and it changes his life. This song was that moment for me, and unlike many other "classic" rock tunes ("Old Time Rock n Roll" comes to mind) that I never need to hear again, I can still listen to it over and over.

• Members

I'll jump on the AC/DC bandwagon.

Although I dig the Johnson era more than the Bon era, my favorite AC/DC tune is "It's a Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll)" - almost a one chord tune (save for the chorus ;)), just relentless, has the best use of bagpipes EVAR in a R&R tune, and has the aforementioned qualifier in the title :thu:

• Members

Obviously y'all didn't feel the conversation was over when I suggested School's Out. I'm not angry - I'm just very, very disappointed.

But here's another candidate, and this time I'm convinced that it'll be so self-evidently the ultimate that it'll kill the thread stone dead.

• Members

Hotel California would make my top 30. Highway to Hell wouldn't make my top 1,000.

I'm kinda just the opposite. I'm not even a big fan of either song, but if you are talking Rock And Roll, there's no question that AC/DC w/ Bon Scott >>>>>>>The Eagles.

• Members

I still think it's Johnny B. Goode but that went over like a lead balloon.

Nah, I'm with you on that one. No question that Chuck Berry is one of the Master Architects of Rock and Roll. almost anything else you can think of that came after and is considered rock and roll has some precedent in something Berry did. Bo Diddley's influence can't be overstated either.

Johnny B. Goode is far from being my fave Berry song, but it is undoubtedly part of the blueprint of rock and roll. I think you could argue that there never would have BEEN a "You Really got Me" or "Satisfaction" or most of the others mentioned here had it not been for Chuck Berry (even though Berry also aped his own influences and purveyed them into new formulas, helping to create rock and roll.)

Archived