On a positive note, the ugliest headstocks....

billybilly

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if functionality matters a straight string path trumps wood aesthetics for me, since I do heavy bar work with no locking nut. I changed my sole guitars headstock like this:

peghead.jpg

ebony sheathed with cocobolla cover, sperzels, minimal tuning issues.

• Members

DeanHeadStockFront.jpg

Moderne_Headstock.jpg

That Gibson one is truly horrible, followed by the Dean and his offshoot company (I can't remember what it's called).

I used to HATE HATE HATE Tele headstocks, to the point where I wouldn't even consider them. I've gotten over that... Now I own two and I want a third.

• Members

I used to hate Tele headstocks - im still not overly keen on them, but i gots 2 tele's now - luv em! The headstock doesn't bother me so much these days even though they are a b@st@rd for hangers
:mad:

Says the man with a Starcaster as his avatar. The ugliest headstock Fender ever made.

• Members

those look fine to me, but I cant stand these ones:

Suhrs look incredibly lame considering that theyre such a high end product

Suhr_Classic_T_black_12592_headstock.jpg
XV820_headstock.jpg
:rolleyes:

I've never quite understood what's so offensive about Suhr's headstock (it's simple, clean, and balanced, is it just too boring or something) but beyond a resemblance in shape when you actually look at the finishing and wood of the Suhr versus the Xaviere it's pretty clear which guitar is the high end one

• Members

I've never quite understood what's so offensive about Suhr's headstock (it's simple, clean, and balanced, is it just too boring or something) but beyond a resemblance in shape when you actually look at the finishing and wood of the Suhr versus the Xaviere it's pretty clear which guitar is the high end one

from what i've seen over the past 10 years of arguments on the subject, it's not a Fender headstock, therefore it is ugly. that's really all there is to it.

• Members

I personally think the headstock is pretty sleek, but I really don't like their logo. YMMV.

• Members

I personally think the headstock is pretty sleek, but I really don't like their logo. YMMV.

i dont like the logo and I dont think the shape is sleek. Its simple but not elegant. Its boring, plain jane, generic.

Hahn has a nice shape but terrible logo

headtsock2.jpg

I like my Flatine-cool shape and logo

grace4.jpg

• Members

Better tuning stability too. They may not be as asthetically pleasing, but they are functionally better.

Very true. The straighter the string path, the better IMO. I have developed a nut cutting technique for the Gibby type headstocks that involves a straight cut followed by a slightly angled cut on the back side of the nut that greatly improves tuning stability. My acoustic customers are happeh!

• Members

I like Suhr's headstock as well, oh well.

Archived