Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

kayd_mon

• Members

I would argue that that's
exactly
what they are.

Close...Chad kroeger has made no attempt to hide that he has always sought to write hit songs for commercial success. But hey - if the people like it - and clearly many do - who cares?

The *hate* comes from musicians who despise their lack of originality and fans who consider them NKOTB with guitars.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am quite happy to say that I have never heard a Nickleback song or even know the name of one.
:idk:

I simply do not listen to that radio music.

Why would that make you happy?

You know...actually ADMITTING to being happy about being ignorant about music you've claimed to have never heard before?

Are you that closed minded about ALL music you've never heard before?

• Members

Why would that make you happy?

You know...actually ADMITTING to being happy about being ignorant about music you've claimed to have never heard before?

Are you that closed minded about ALL music you've never heard before?

I am quite happy about being ignorant to all {censored}ty pop music because I simply have way better taste in music than that. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities...:lol:

The butthurt is intense in this thread...lolz

troll-face-you-mad-bro-faded-tshirt-3R4P

• Members

I am quite happy about being ignorant to all {censored}ty pop music because I simply have way better taste in music than that. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities...
:lol:

troll-face-you-mad-bro-faded-tshirt-3R4P

Angry? lol...either you don't know how to read....or the logic of my post left you so desperate for a reply to suitably "put me in my place" and that "are you mad/butthurt" was the best you could come up with.

I'm guessing the later...but either way...you don't look good.

Oh and congratulations on your impeccable taste for things you've never heard before.....that's quite a neat trick!

And don't worry about my sensibilities...with reasoning such as yours...it would be impossible for you to offend them.

• Members

I am quite happy about being ignorant to all {censored}ty pop music because I simply have way better taste in music than that. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities...
:lol:

Just remember pops, your music was once considered to be the same thing by previous generations :)

• Members

Just remember pops, your music was once considered to be the same thing by previous generations
:)

I has nothing to do with age. Bad music has been around for as long as good music.

Is it so hard to imagine that there are people who just don't find a lot of substance in what Nickelback does? Is it so hard to imagine that some people lack respect for their music because they feel it's more fluff than substance? Is it so hard to believe that there are people still consider music a form of artistic expression, and something that is to be enjoyed with your ears?

Some people just don't like Nickelback, or much else that falls into that pre-packaged, overly derivative, unimaginative, empty, created solely to make a buck...drivel. Period. If you enjoy it. Great! I can accept that. Can you just accept that some of us don't?

• Members

I has nothing to do with age. Bad music has been around for as long as good music.

Is it so hard to imagine that there are people who just don't find a lot of substance in what Nickelback does? Is it so hard to imagine that some people lack respect for their music because they feel it's more fluff than substance? Is it so hard to believe that there are people still consider music a form of artistic expression, and something that is to be enjoyed with your ears?

Some people just don't like Nickelback, or much else that falls into that pre-packaged, overly derivative, unimaginative, empty, created solely to make a buck...drivel. Period. If you enjoy it. Great! I can accept that. Can you just accept that some of us don't?

Id say its a safe bet that almost every generation thumbs its nose at the music & culture of future generations. Ive witnessed it so much its almost impossible to deny. Sure, some people can dismiss music based on pure personal taste - but his attitude was very indicative of generational snubbing.

• Members

Its music. Its subjective. Who said music has to be anything? Nickleback is as easy to listen to for me as most current radio fodder. I have a selected dicography I normally listen to bit I don't go diving for the dial when NB is on in the car.

• Members

Because the hip kids(read nerds with no lives that use musical taste as some sort of personal label) and the sheep that desperately want to be part of the in crowd that follow them have determined it is cool to hate Nickelback, and it is the opposite of cool to like them.

The main reason is because nickelback came out hard and heavy and fans dug them, then they releases a couple of sappy ballads and mode a ton of money and became this huge, massively produced band that a lot of the early fans viewed as sellouts.

Why Nickelback has become the pistachios for this sort of hatred as opposed to the hundreds of other bands that do the exact same thing and get away with it with far less criticism, Im not really sure. Maybe timing, maybe just the perfect storm of this particular band getting so huge so fast with massive sounding big budget production with songs that sound very formulaic, almost too contrived for the sole purpose of selling as many units as possible which a lot of people associate with cheese, along with a healthy sprinkling of media coverage of the lead singer, some of the douchey things he has said, who he dates, amd the big deal the poparrazi has tended to make over him at times, maybe it was all these things happening at the perfect time together which made nickelback the modern day go to band to despise. You know, if you buy into what the cool kids are telling you which bands to like and which ones to hate.

Personally, I don't hate them, don't love them, they are not really my thing but what they are to me, is a really good band with some pretty cool songs, a massively produced overall sound and a very diverse wide range of heavy type music, usually executed as we'll as about anyone else out there doing it, so yeah, just based on music alone, as a band, musically, it makes no sense that a band that good should be that hated.

You nailed it.

I might add that we might be still seeing the hangover from the 'it's ok to be a {censored} and a loser' grunge metal hate towards the rock guys..

....these guys hate what they can't do....pull chicks and play guitar...

• Members

If it wasn't "fashionable" to hate Nickelback then would everyone confess to loving them?

When you consider that they have thousands of fans it could be argued that it's far more fashionable to be dickhead.

• Members

Well, I've changed my mind about Nickleback. Just now. Just in the last 3 minutes. It's not because of their music as I wouldn't know a Nickleback tune if it were played in an elevator. It's because of their name. Nickleback? Really? Is that the best they can come up with?

Cashier: OK, that'll be 95 cents.

Customer: Alright, here's a dollar.

Cashier: And, here's your Nickleback.

Seriously dumb. And another band with a dumb name is Smashing Pumpkins. I used to like them but as of right now I don't. Smashing Pumpkins? I've seen them live. I've seen their videos. There were no pumpkins. There was no smashing. Now if Gallagher been up on stage with his sledge-o-matic and a few pumpkins, that would have been cool. That would have made a good show. But I feel I got jilted by not seeing any pumpkins getting smashed so I don't like them any more.

:mad:

• Members

Well, I've changed my mind about Nickleback. Just now. Just in the last 3 minutes. It's not because of their music as I wouldn't know a Nickleback tune if it were played in an elevator. It's because of their name. Nickleback? Really? Is that the best they can come up with?

Cashier: OK, that'll be 95 cents.

Customer: Alright, here's a dollar.

Cashier: And, here's your Nickleback.

Seriously dumb. And another band with a dumb name is Smashing Pumpkins. I used to like them but as of right now I don't. Smashing Pumpkins? I've seen them live. I've seen their videos. There were no pumpkins. There was no smashing. Now if Gallagher been up on stage with his sledge-o-matic and a few pumpkins, that would have been cool. That would have made a good show. But I feel I got jilted by not seeing any pumpkins getting smashed so I don't like them any more.

:mad:

lol

• Members

I think I'm qualified to answer this as I do hate them myself.

They are a faux heavy band.

They try to sound heavy and come across like Winger meets Billy Ray Cyrus.

I like commercial music when it's good and isn't pretending to be something else.

Smug faced, hackneyed, cowboy outfits, humourless, sexless, dirtless, lyrically banal, and truly as heavy as REO Speedwagon.

I disagree with bands being bottled off stage but the youtube clip of Nickelback getting it has entertained me a few times.

You make excellent points.

I don't really hate them, I just don't really care about them. I like some songs, like "rockstar". They make fun radio rock songs and a whole bunch of {censored} too, just like Bon Jovi did in the 80's.

A band I really really hate would be U2, Limp Bizkit, Green Day or Blood.

• Members

I just hate modern rock, and they're the pop flagship of the genre...at least as far as I last thought about it a good while ago. Before now.

Honestly the "pants around your feet" song is my least hated song they do, and sure enough, EVERY song they've released I've thought less and less off. Then again, I think Nickelback has a successful plan, and have admirably lasted a long time and have prospered at it. I just think the songs are increasingly garbage. I can be hooked by a catchy song like any honest guy, and I dig some songs most would laugh at. They are just boringly average, and they SOUND like they've worked at it for years. Van Halen were tight, but sounded like they were shot out of a cannon.

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woQeCShM54w

In reality, I don't know Nickelback's music enough to hate them. I've actually noticed that I seem to have more trouble with Avril Lavigne's music, so maybe Nickelback is just easier for me to ignore. :idk:

I don't listen to radio very often. I'm guessing I could probably find a few NB tunes that have some cool hooks. Overall, if I listened to them a lot, I'd probably get tired of the sameness...because popular bands tend to repeat themselves. But, enough people like them that they must be doing something right.

At the very least, NB seems to provide a service for those who need to hate. Haters gonna hate.

• Members

I don't hate Nickelback, in fact I think a few of their songs are catchy pop-rock tunes.

I will say this, though. I watched a concert film and the main thing I noticed was how little they did with two guitars. They could have done so much more than have both guitars play the same part for a couple of hours.

Archived