Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

kayd_mon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you meant, 'why do other musicians/guitar players hate Nickleback' I would think, because they do sell a lot of records and pack concert halls so they have fans obviously....When Kroger writes the uber-cheesey lyrics about being a rock star, even I winced at the hokiness of it. :D ..... I like the production on their CDs, but the guitar is typical 90's/2000's metal...perty banal with a lot of unimaginative 1 finger dropped tuning chords. I think it turned off a lot of hard rock/metal dudes, because if you don't have an element of authenticity for that heavy style, it comes out hokey and fakish.

• Members

I've always despised the sound of that Womans voice. I actually enjoy some of the songs and her musical take on it, but that ultra raspy voice alone would suck to me if that is as bad as it got, but add in that freeking vibrato that sounds like a billy goat getting assessors by a jackhammer, and I would rather listen to an entire SYMPHONY performed by the entire orchestra scratching their nails on a chalk board than listen to that voice that could only come from hell itself.

Has to be the absolute WORST voice in the history of recorded music and how she even has one single fan, not to mention legions of adoring fans boggles my pea of a brain.

God that bitch blows.

I'd still mail her though, but I'd have to shove a sock in her mouth first.

• Members
I've always despised the sound of that Womans voice. I actually enjoy some of the songs and her musical take on it, but that ultra raspy voice alone would suck to me if that is as bad as it got, but add in that freeking vibrato that sounds like a billy goat getting assessors by a jackhammer, and I would rather listen to an entire SYMPHONY performed by the entire orchestra scratching their nails on a chalk board than listen to that voice that could only come from hell itself.

Has to be the absolute WORST voice in the history of recorded music and how she even has one single fan, not to mention legions of adoring fans boggles my pea of a brain.

God that bitch blows.

I wouldn't even give her the satisfaction of ATM!

• Members

Nickelback just seem kind of disingenuous. That may not be the right word. Just a sense of prefab corporate rock, with awful cheesy lyrics. Dumbed down at the very least! Some of their songs aren't bad, like "Saving Me", so I can't call them complete crap. I think we musicians are harder on them, since we know they could be a lot better if they wanted to! Same thing with Creed, first cd pretty good, then got too schmaltzy imho. Coldplay, I disliked at first, but I find them tolerable now. Generally, anything new that comes out, I'm already prejudiced against, since 99% of what ends up becoming popular these days IS crap! -Adam

• Members

Nickelback just seem kind of disingenuous. That may not be the right word. Just a sense of prefab corporate rock, with awful cheesy lyrics. Dumbed down at the very least! Some of their songs aren't bad, like "Saving Me", so I can't call them complete crap. I think we musicians are harder on them, since we know they could be a lot better if they wanted to! Same thing with Creed, first cd pretty good, then got too schmaltzy imho. Coldplay, I disliked at first, but I find them tolerable now. Generally, anything new that comes out, I'm already prejudiced against, since 99% of what ends up becoming popular these days IS crap! -Adam

• Members

Seeing Mark Tremonti on the front page of Harmony Central got me thinking about Creed, and since in my mind Creed and Nickelback are the same band, and everyone seems to hate them, I wonder... why?

They seem to sound exactly like bands like Three Days Grace and Linkin Park, both groups that don't seem to get as much hate as Nickelback. So what is it about them that's so hateful?

I don't particularly like the aesthetic of that sort of rock, but I don't think I hate them (though the jokes are funny sometimes).

Because they are hugely successful despite being terrible. And every other band you mentioned is not quite as successful despite also being terrible, so I hate them too.

• Members

The Doctor has nailed it. It is the unsolicited repetition. I used to work in a warehouse and they played the same damn radio station day after day. I think it was B101. Anyway, I was guaranteed to hear the Nickel{censored} song du jour at least a few times a day, they would mix in other Nickel{censored} songs as well. Two for Tuesday was the WORST! It drove me crazy! That and hearing John Mayer whining about waiting for the world to change. I heard that about twice before lunch and twice after. I was waiting for him to release another {censored}ing song that they would play on the radio.

I have not turned on am FM station in over 5 years because of that experience.

• Members

Where would you send her?

;)

I've never really understood the hate. They had a couple of good songs but failed to create much after that. However their cover of Sharp Dressed Man was fantastic, and with the right songs it seems that can sound great.

Maybe they should become a covers band.

• Members

I kinda like ol' Stevie Nicks, but she does indeed sometimes really over-work the vibrato. If you listen to really good singers, they can bring those characteristics in and out of their music. Pop singers just seem to take their signature traits, like putting a cinder block on the gas pedal, and never let up. I remember years ago when they were doing the celebrity mix Christmas albums. I thought Stevie Nicks' version of Silent Night had her sounding like one of the sheep in the manger.

serta-sheep1.jpg

Oh, and I don't necessarily dislike Coldplay, I just don't see the draw and have to turn away. Wait, maybe that is "dislike"? :idk:

• Members

I believe that many of the people who "hate "them don't even have a reason too or think about why. Culturally, its cool to "hate" them and sheeps follow. I can't feel sorry for them with their bank accounts and I'd love to nail Avril Lavigne.

That's interesting. It could be just as easily said that many of the people who love them don't even have a reason to or think about why. Culturally, it's cool to love them and sheep follow.

And I think that's the crux of why so many bands like that are hated. Not everyone laps from the trough of {censored}ty music that is pre-processed, promoted, and marketed to the point of saturation that it becomes defacto "popular." There is a lot of undiscovered music out there that is every bit as good (or better) than what is peddled as main stream, and it's always been that way.

And comments as to what "red blooded American doesn't like ______" is proof that it's easier to be a complete sheep and follow the herd as to "what we're supposed" to like than to use our own {censored}ing brain to decide what we're going to listen to on our own.

What makes it even worse, is when something truly unique, original, and artistically pure comes along, and then along comes a line of {censored}ty "johnny come lately" bands trying to cash in on a particular "sound" and it's obvious that they just don't get it.

For example, bands like Creed, Linkin Park, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd...mostly all bands that came along on the heels of the grunge/Seattle/alternative success of the '90s. Most every one of them sounds like bands that dropped their pointy metal guitars in mid-song, and jumped ship to what was "popular" without any sense of originality, and poorly executed a decent genre.

Not everyone likes the same thing. There are some bands and some genres that I just don't care for, and I pass it off as differences in taste. There are other bands for which it goes beyond just taste. I don't like people who try hard to be something they aren't, and I equally dislike bands who clearly sound like they're cashing in. For me, Nickelback fits that mold so to speak.

• Members

Actually at 42, I do think I'm a bit beyond the "it's cool to hate them so I must hate them" part of my life, that ended sometime around puberty. I don't like Nickelback - I didn't like them before I even knew they were Nickleback, I just didn't like "that band" that I heard on the radio. Why?

Why are they so "hated"? I don't know. I think their music sounds like A beer commercial whenever it comes on and I really dislike the vocals/voice. Truthfully, if the singer's voice doesn't capture me, I have a tendency to not really get into a band. Sometimes a singer will "grow on you" but Nickelback always sounds like "complaint rock" to me :idk:

Creed never affected me that badly. :idk: although I wasn't a fan and never bought an album or anything.

Archived