Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

kayd_mon

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because the hip kids(read nerds with no lives that use musical taste as some sort of personal label) and the sheep that desperately want to be part of the in crowd that follow them have determined it is cool to hate Nickelback, and it is the opposite of cool to like them.

The main reason is because nickelback came out hard and heavy and fans dug them, then they releases a couple of sappy ballads and mode a ton of money and became this huge, massively produced band that a lot of the early fans viewed as sellouts.

Why Nickelback has become the pistachios for this sort of hatred as opposed to the hundreds of other bands that do the exact same thing and get away with it with far less criticism, Im not really sure. Maybe timing, maybe just the perfect storm of this particular band getting so huge so fast with massive sounding big budget production with songs that sound very formulaic, almost too contrived for the sole purpose of selling as many units as possible which a lot of people associate with cheese, along with a healthy sprinkling of media coverage of the lead singer, some of the douchey things he has said, who he dates, amd the big deal the poparrazi has tended to make over him at times, maybe it was all these things happening at the perfect time together which made nickelback the modern day go to band to despise. You know, if you buy into what the cool kids are telling you which bands to like and which ones to hate.

Personally, I don't hate them, don't love them, they are not really my thing but what they are to me, is a really good band with some pretty cool songs, a massively produced overall sound and a very diverse wide range of heavy type music, usually executed as we'll as about anyone else out there doing it, so yeah, just based on music alone, as a band, musically, it makes no sense that a band that good should be that hated.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Members

No, that would actually be Crowded House.
:mad:

You take that back!! :mad:

Yeah I never got the rabid hate. I think they are very overplayed and Kroger has an annoying voice, but yeah, it does seem to be very fashionable to hate them- all of the cool kids are doing it anyway :idk:

• Members

To me they remind me of the same kind of crap the copy cat hair bands were doing in the 80s. Generik rock/metal showcasing catchy songs with a hook and dont forget the ballads. I think the Kroeger hate is because he seems like a whiny bitch and also a douche.

I went to a show once in 2001 with a chick because her 12 year old daughter wanted to go. During a trip to get another drink, I hear the music stop and Kroeger was whining and yelling at some young girl to give his cowbot hat back and then threatened that if he didnt get it back the show was over. He was whining like a little girl TO a little girl. This went on for 5 minutes or so and I was laughing but in embarrassment for this douchbag. After that I still shake me head as to how this cheesy crapola band ever made a dime.

• Members
eh... Howabout some Limp Bizkit then?

Or even Matchbox 20. I worked with a guy in the late '90s who was a big Matchbox 20 fanboy. Finally broke down and listened to some. Put me to sleep. Sounded like every other generic bar band I'd heard that whole decade. Who knows? Maybe they were all playing Matchbox 20 covers. :idk:

• Members

I would argue that that's
exactly
what they are.

let me expand on that comment. I grew up listening to bands who started out as mates either in school or early adulthood that would practice, go do some gigs, and at some point a record exec saw them, signed them and they became known as what they are. My 12 year old daughter is into bands like One Direction, who have been put together by music moguls because they can sing and look nice. A lot of these bands come from those Idol/X Factor/Voice types of rubbish that are more interested in a tv show that uses music than actually finding and nuturing a band. They hire someone to write their songs, a stylist, publicist etc then they start pumping it out to the kiddies who eat it up and they start bringing in the millions for their bosses. Nickelback is a band like what i grew up with, so regardless if i like their music, i will respect them for being an actual band that write their own stuff and aren't at risk of getting fired by their boss.

• Members

In reality, I don't know Nickelback's music enough to hate them. I've actually noticed that I seem to have more trouble with Avril Lavigne's music, so maybe Nickelback is just easier for me to ignore.
:idk:

I don't listen to radio very often. I'm guessing I could probably find a few NB tunes that have some cool hooks. Overall, if I listened to them a lot, I'd probably get tired of the sameness...because popular bands tend to repeat themselves. But, enough people like them that they must be doing something right.

At the very least, NB seems to provide a service for those who need to hate. Haters gonna hate.

And this is just funny. See, I don't buy the hate, or think that they're at the top (or is it bottom?) of the suck heap, but the jokes are good fun.

Archived