Have you ever bought a guitar from a known guitar player

Northstar

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I sold Jimmi Hendrix his first guitar and gave him free guitar lessons with it. You should have heard him. Poor thing had no natural ability and no talent. He had no chance to go anywhere. He was awful. I felt so bad for him. Good thing the whole lighting the guitar on fire thing caught on or none of us would ever heard of him otherwise.

• Members

In 1975 I bought a 1963 SGjr from Rick Kemp, then bassist in Steeleye Span, and in 1979 a 1977 Telecaster from Joe Strummer. Sad to say, I no longer own either.

Both were bought, and sold, as utility instruments rather than collectors' pieces.

What was Uncle Joe's Tele like to play? I always loved that white Esquier he had (which I think was only used live? as a back up to his main Tele).

• Members

What was Uncle Joe's Tele like to play? I always loved that white Esquier he had (which I think was only used live? as a back up to his main Tele).

It was the black maple-neck '77 which CBS gave him during gthe sessions for the first album when his #1 was off getting fixed. He used it a few times as a live backup (you can see it in the Victoria Park Rock Against Racism clips from Rude Boy) but he never liked it much -- he preferred vintage rosewood-board models (like the white Esquire), which is what he bought for his backups when he made some money.

My main recollection of it was that it was the TREBLIEST Tele I've ever heard. Some one told me that after ol' Leo sold Fender to CBS and they retained him as a consultant, he was starting to lose the high end of his hearing and instructed them to voice the pickups toppier and toppier to compensate, because he found them too dark -- but this could simply be an urban myth.

• Members

I remember the bass player in my band went to buy an Ampeg bass cab from an ad in the Recycler and it was apparently the guy from Warrant.. haha!

I've owned things from guys in smaller touring bands. The one thing I miss about being in a band was the sweet deals I could get on gear from guys that toured a lot. They'd sell {censored} for cheap because they didn't want to hassle with classifieds or ebay.

• Members

When I was 14 our local community center used to have "sock hops" on a weekend night. No alcohol, chaperones, no smoking - that kinda thing. The BIG local band was called The Windy City Syndicate. I was awe struck. A buddies older brother knew the band and said guitar player was selling his guitar for $35. I bit. Worst piece of Tiesco {censored}e I'd ever laid hands on. Cheese grater action, noisy, etc.

That's about as close as I've come and, based on that experience, prolly won't do it again.

Archived