The Boss

Prince

The Police

The pretenders

The WHo

The Rolling Stones

The Cars

The Clash

all these bands ruled the 80s...with the exception of ac/dc, madonna, and MJ these were the biggest acts.

oh, and country was HUGE in the 80s... hello? alabama, garth brooks, dwight yoakam et al...its bigger now but it was huge back then too, especially country rock ala The Eagles.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Tele

View Post

telecasters

why?

The Boss

Prince

The Police

The pretenders

The WHo

The Rolling Stones

The Cars

The Clash

all these bands ruled the 80s...with the exception of ac/dc, madonna, and MJ these were the biggest acts.

oh, and country was HUGE in the 80s... hello? alabama, garth brooks, dwight yoakam et al...its bigger now but it was huge back then too, especially country rock ala The Eagles.

I'll give you Prince, Bruce, the Police, and pretenders but...

Easton wasn't an exclusive "tele" player. He played everything. Les Pauls, Strats, super strats, and a tele...so you don't get him.

And the Clash "ruled" the 80's? lol...come on.

and nobody really cared about the stones and the who at that point. (pete was playing a tele??)

those three were most certainly not "ruling" the 80's.

Bands you missed that 'ruled' the 80's WAY more than those three could even dream of...would be U2, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, INXS.....

Here's the top 100 albums by sales in the 80's...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syl.../385I1ATRSODTZ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syl.../2CMEO3LES66EL

As you can see....the stones BARELY make the list with tattoo you at 99...no who, and the clash aren't even on there.

As for the country thing.....well...yeah..garth brooks, and alabama are up there once each.....I personally wouldn't call that huge...country may have been popular for people INTO country...but it wasn't cracking the mainstream charts at all.

• Members

Yep, even the GAS Man, had only one electric guitar in the '80s. Well, actually, I had one from the '70s but sold it after I got number 2. Hard to imagine there was a time in my life when I thought I should only own 1 electric guitar.

But I still have it. A 1983 that I bought new in '84

A Custom Shop Edition Studio Standard - from the first of the Studio production line.

Lester65.jpg

Norlin era with all the faults, but I still love it. wink.gif

Quote Originally Posted by genesis3

View Post

Had to be....

250pxamplifier5.jpg

Oh, and I still have one of those but never warmed up to it. But I've never used it for anything other than a headphone amp. I know that others had success with it as a dirt box, but for a headphone amp, I moved on to Pocket Rockits.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

Yep, even the GAS Man, had only one electric guitar in the '80s. Well, actually, I had one from the '70s but sold it after I got number 2. Hard to imagine there was a time in my life when I thought I should only own 1 electric guitar.

But I still have it. A 1983 that I bought new in '84

A Custom Shop Edition Studio Standard - from the first of the Studio production line.

Lester65.jpg

Norlin era with all the faults, but I still love it. wink.gif

Cool! Does it have Tim Shaw pickups?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fuzztone

View Post

Cool! Does it have Tim Shaw pickups?

Believe it or not, I don't know yet. I've read a bit about that and understand that was a bit more common on the Studio Custom of that time. But the next time I change the strings on that guitar (which should be soon) I'll be lifting them up to take some pics of the back of those p'ups. But whatever they are, I've never really been that fond of them. The neck is a bit muddy and the bridge is a bit hard sounding, like knocking on wood. So if I open it up and they are Shaw, I'll be happy to have "collectable pickups" in it, but OTOH, I'd also then leave them in there when what I really want to do is get a set of Duncan Antiquities for that guitar. So if they are not Shaw p'ups, I get to continue on with plan A.

The part that I love about that guitar is mostly that it truly plays like buttah and the sentimental value I have attached to it. I bought a set of SD Anniversary Edition inscribed Seth Lovers for it years ago, but then realized that putting shiny engraved chrome pickups in a guitar with all aged nickel hardware would mess up its vintage vibe a bit, so we shall see.

Maybe that can be a project for today? idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

Believe it or not, I don't know yet. I've read a bit about that and understand that was a bit more common on the Studio Custom of that time. But the next time I change the strings on that guitar (which should be soon) I'll be lifting them up to take some pics of the back of those p'ups. But whatever they are, I've never really been that fond of them. The neck is a bit muddy and the bridge is a bit hard sounding, like knocking on wood. So if I open it up and they are Shaw, I'll be happy to have "collectable pickups" in it, but OTOH, I'd also then leave them in there when what I really want to do is get a set of Duncan Antiquities for that guitar. So if they are not Shaw p'ups, I get to continue on with plan A.

Did you ever try changing the pots? I think those came with 300k volumes and 100k tone pots.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

Big, heavy 2 x12 solid state amps were the order of the day. Randall made some cool gear like this Commander II. I still have mine:

$T2eC16F,!y8E9s2fjFN3BQ(onbT)JQ~~60_58.J

And these were everywhere:

Small practice amps like this sounded like total {censored} but looked cool at the time:

22421831_1.jpg

But Marshall made a very cool sounding Lead 12 that kicked total ass:

christmas2006018-2.jpg

My first amp that I kept was a Sunn Stinger 60

Funny, now it's sold as a "Vintage amp", but I bought mine for $150 and was happy to sell it for $50 to someone at work once I had enough money to buy myself a decent Fender amp.

img_13376704759102.jpg

Oh, and when my stepson (and of course his momma love.gif) moved into my house, he came equipped with a Kramer and a little Gorilla amp.

I acquired a Roland JC-120 which I still have, but not until the early '90s. I still have a love/hate relationship with the Roland. wink.gif

Those Lead 12s are rather sought after these days. Selling for decent chunks of change. I look at them from time to time on ebay and come close to pulling the trigger. But I have a newer Zak Wylde version which despite being MIC does a fairly good job and doesn't have the concern of worn out pots that could come with tracking down a Lead 12 off of flea-bay.

• Members

OMG, THAT is a Crate.

I remember when I bought that Sunn I posted above. It was down to either the Sunn or a Crate at the music store. Ah, a time period before MF and the rest changed the way we shop for gear. I also remember another store in town carried Peavey which is what I should have chosen for my first amp considering the budget I had to work with back then. {censored}, even for $150 I caught a lot of {censored} when I came home with that amp. Silly wife started saying nonsense like we needed a clothes dryer more than I needed an amp. What the heck was that BS idn_smilie.gif I mean, hell, I'd already bought her a deluxe collapsible wooden drying rack.

icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

his first album was huge as well.

His first single didn't even make the top 40. His first album in the first year sold 2 or 3 million not bad that's for sure. But he didn't become GARTH until his second album and most notable his first television special on NBC. That is TRULY what made Garth, Garth. And you want to be honest Clint Black in 1989 was bigger than Garth but after No Fences and that TV special hit it was all over.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sammyreynolds01

View Post

His first single didn't even make the top 40. His first album in the first year sold 2 or 3 million not bad that's for sure. But he didn't become GARTH until his second album and most notable his first television special on NBC. That is TRULY what made Garth, Garth. And you want to be honest Clint Black in 1989 was bigger than Garth but after No Fences and that TV special hit it was all over.

Clint was very big in the last part of the 80s, which is the era listed in this post. He is, BTW, a very good guitar player.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sammyreynolds01

View Post

it had country song of the year THE DANCE on it. It reached #13 on Billboard and #2 in Country.

• Members

In my dim memory of those years I really remember headless bass guitars & locking trems more than anything - seemed like everyone had or wanted one. I also agree that despite the popularity of hair bands there was a lot of other stuff around at the time as well. I was never into hair bands but still found lot's of other music to listen to at the time. If that made me 'in the minority', I can live with that. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fuzztone

View Post

What about Rickenbackers?

rem-1983-corbis-530-85.jpg

johnny_marr.jpg

petty-corbis-530-85.jpg

120627-replacements-2.png

F5PG8NIYGnox0fr6n6fJM6BRo1_500.jpg

2176835489_2a6314e059_o.jpg

4823588589_6ede7646ab.jpg

Kinda.

Rickenbackers tried to do some different things in the eighties, like a bolt-on solid model. I think a lot of those players were into Rickenbackers because they were affordable used (Peter Buck's famous 360 was a used model), and it's what their heroes of the sixties used. Rickenbacker didn't receive a huge commercial resurgence until the later nineties and recent years (They're extremely backordered, mainly thanks to nostalgic Beatles/Byrds/Who fans, and yuppies).

Archived