Most popular guitar gear in the 80's?

genesis3

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotronic

View Post

Yeah, there's always gonna be someone that says, "Wait a second! I was playing a Fender in the 80's in my country band!". Blah blah blah, you were the minority, get over it. There is no doubt that both Fender and Gibson got the {censored} kicked out of them for several years. Fender has SRV to thank for keeping them from going the way of the dodo, Gibson has Slash to thank. Without those 2, they might have been gone. Hell, even Jeff Beck was playing a Charvel in the 80's.

that's just silly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsman

View Post

This idea that hair metal or other such atrocities were the only form of music being played is full of {censored}. A lot of us were into the punk or new wave, folk, country, or other such forms back in the 80s and paid little or no attention to all the glitz and glitter being spread around MTV...

Yes, no {censored}te!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bsman

View Post

This idea that hair metal or other such atrocities were the only form of music being played is full of {censored}. A lot of us were into the punk or new wave, folk, country, or other such forms back in the 80s and paid little or no attention to all the glitz and glitter being spread around MTV...

Yes, no {censored}te!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RogerF

View Post

Eddie Van Halen, aka the Pasadena Phaser, was probably responsible for the sale of every phaser pedal purchased in the 1980's. Practically every electric guitar player in North America purchased one.

Lots of people bought phasers because of other artists as well. Stones, Joe Walsh, Eagles, Johnny Winter, etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sammyreynolds01

View Post

Most people weren't listening to country back then. In the 80's I never saw anyone using a Les Paul until GnR came out. I'm sure they used them in the studio but live it was superstrat with some sort of locking tremolo. Amp wise it was in ADA MP-1 and Marshall but some including EVH were using Soldano.

how can a genre be so popular if no one is listening to it? What about George Strait, Randy Travis, Barbara Mandrell, Confederate Railroad, Travis Tritt, Oak Ridge Boys, Dwight Yoakum, Clint Black, Reba, Garth, The Judds, Eddie Rabbitt, Kenny Rogers, Lyle Lovett, Dirt Band, Larry Gatlin, Wilie and Julio, Hank Jr, etc, etc.

As for not seeing any Les Pauls? Were you blind? What about 38 Special, Molly Hatchett, Great White, Replacements, REM, Cinderella, Pat Travers, Charlie Daniels, Heart, Joan Jett, among many other?

And none of the most popular artists of the 80s used ADA or Marshall for amps. Springsteen used Fender, U2 and REM was mostly Vox, SRV was a blend of Fender/Marshall.

Same with guitars. Bruce was plain-jane Teles, Edge was a number of vintage Fenders, Gibsons, etc, Peter Buck was Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, etc. Brian Setzer was Gretsch mostly, I believe. Pretenders were mostly Teles and Fender amps. Mark Knopfler was mostly Strats plus a LP on MONEY FOR NOTHING.

Just because these weren't genres or performers you personally followed doesn't somehow magically erase them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by genesis3

View Post

Had to be....

250pxamplifier5.jpg

pop, rock...seems everbody used it a time or two....these are sheer guesses by the way, I have no way of knowing they actually used any of the Rockman devices in the videos below, but it sure sounds like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnegZzNZAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW_jfplZ8Bc

What does it do? I never heard about this device.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotronic

View Post

Yeah, there's always gonna be someone that says, "Wait a second! I was playing a Fender in the 80's in my country band!". Blah blah blah, you were the minority, get over it.

I was rocking a Gretsch Tennessean and a tweed deluxe. Yeah, I was in the minority, and damn proud of it.

Unfortunately, I lived in such a jerkwater place at the time (Rochester, NY), I was barely aware of anything contemporary that wasn't either crap dance music or hair metal other than the Chesterfield Kings, who were in their metaliod phase too.

WBER saved my life.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

that's just silly.

Is it? I worked in a guitar shop back then. You couldn't give Fender's and Gibson's away. As I said, sure there were some guys playing them. But that was absolutely NOT the trend. We couldn't keep Kramer's, BC Rich's, and Ibanez's in stock. We also were a custom guitar shop. What did we make in alarming numbers? Super-strats. I recall making less than 5 standard Fender-type guitars in the years I was there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

Big, heavy 2 x12 solid state amps were the order of the day. Randall made some cool gear like this Commander II. I still have mine:

$T2eC16F,!y8E9s2fjFN3BQ(onbT)JQ~~60_58.J

And these were everywhere:

jc120%20-0dd4c937814620cb60db6ffdb1b9396

Small practice amps like this sounded like total {censored} but looked cool at the time:

22421831_1.jpg

But Marshall made a very cool sounding Lead 12 that kicked total ass:

christmas2006018-2.jpg

Damn I have had 3 of those amps in the late 80

• Members

I think this thread just shows that a lot of people here were into metal/hard rock. I didn't know anyone with a phaser back then. Phasers were considered "passe" and CHORUS ruled, along with delay and reverb. Processed tones were "in" so effects were "in" - and "digital" wasn't considered "thin and sterile" it was considered CLEAN and HI-FI! smile.gif AND despite the efforts of every guitar manufacturer trying to slap Floyds and locking nuts on everything, a lot of people didn't really want that hardware. I remember that COMPONENTS seemed to be a big deal by the end of the 80's- racks, preamps, power amps, cabinets, etc... and Japanese guitars seemed to have come into their own, especially Ibanez. The backlash of all that was the neo-vintage trend of the 90's.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

As for not seeing any Les Pauls? Were you blind? What about 38 Special, Molly Hatchett, Great White, Replacements, REM, Cinderella, Pat Travers, Charlie Daniels, Heart, Joan Jett, among many others?

Just because these weren't genres or performers you personally followed doesn't somehow magically erase them.

Nope, those guys were hacks, nobody used Les Pauls until Slash, well, he invented the Les Paul didnt he???? smile.gif

• Members

When I think of guitars in the 1980s, I always think of the stratocaster, and particularly the position 2 and 4 in-between sounds, with dollops of reverb and chorus. Reverb on the drums, big hair (with highlights), headbands, leg warmers, shoulder pads, awful glaring colour combinations, winkle-pickers, trousers tight at the bottom, and karate shoes.

• Members

When I think of the 80s I think metal/Pop metal although New Wave made a splash as well.A lot of Pop/Metal guys had Floyd Rose systems. Didn't usually see them on a Gibson or Fender although I recall seeing Neal Schon of Journey on TV with a Les Paul fitted with a Rose. Everyone had a Super Strat ala Eddie (although Ed didn't have a neck pickup for most of the 80s) for awhile. Bob Bradshaw systems were pretty abundant with the big boys. There was some good stuff but all in all, a pretty generic decade IMO, at least from a Rock point of view. Grunge, despite being pretty depressing, was necessary.

• Members

I was looking for pics that would pop up in Guitar World every week of the stars 'refrigerator' sized racks....Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather I think were standing in front of theirs both were as tall as they were ...I don't recall talk of 'true bypass' either lol..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by genesis3

View Post

I was looking for pics that would pop up in Guitar World every week of the stars 'refrigerator' sized racks....Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather I think were standing in front of theirs both were as tall as they were ...I don't recall talk of 'true bypass' either lol..

Well, part of Pete's was a Leslie, wasn't it?

• Members

Why so many guys are getting their panties in a bunch is beyond me lol. Mainly all the new acts of the 80's were indeed using Super Strats- Floyds and Racks/ I believe Kramer was the top seller of guitars for most of the decade! Yes get back in style with younger players.were acts using Fenders and Gibsons but most were carry overs from the 70's and any new band that was making any noise coming up were not. It was not until SRV and Slash came along did the big two comeback in vogue with younger players. For as big a company as they became what recorded music or genre was dominated by PRS guitars? They must be behind Fender and Gibson in the sales department and a {censored} load of players own them but I really cant think of many if any great albums dominated by PRS guitars.

Archived