New Gibson 2013 models at Sweetwater - whoa!!!

cbh5150

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by thozzman

View Post

Just picked up my 2013 SG Standard from local GC after I had ordered it online. Got home, and damn, the neck pickup doesn't work! WTF...so much for Gibson QC. Tomorrow it's back to the store and will order a new one that hopefully will work. And next time I'll try it before leaving the store. Very disappointing, to say the least.

What do you think of the new neck shape? I'm hoping it is the same neck shape as the 61 Reissue SG. I don't like the old SG standard neck shape.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by deanmass

View Post

The SG needs locking tuners cause the Klusons, while cool looking, slip.

I severely doubt it. Gibsons tend to have inherent tuning stability problems, but it's not the fault of the tuners. In fact, tuning machines have essentially nothing at all to do with tuning stability, unless they're worn to the point of physical deformity. If your Gibson has tuning stability issues, it's almost certainly the nut.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this myth that tuning issues are the fault of the tuning machines themselves really needs to be squashed.

• Members

My LP Traditional has the stock klusons and they work fine. And even though I hear the strings ping in the nut when tuning it sometimes, it holds its tuning really well. I like that the 2013 SG standard looks like a '61 reissue and comes in white.

• Members

Wow, really surprised to see all the hate in here! hah

If you ask me, I'm actually quite impressed. Yes, they're the same old Les Pauls and SGs, but they're finally affordable. A USA Gibson under $1k? That was "fairy snuff" a few years ago. I gotta applaud them on that, at least.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grape

View Post

Ah yes, the "telecasters, stratocasters, les pauls, SGs, ES-335s and all other well known popular electric guitars, as well as D-28s and most known acoustic guitars, are terrible and you're an idiot of you like any of them" argument.

But it can sure fire up a mob in a hurry.

angry-mob-at-frankenstein-castle.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MatteK

View Post

My LP Traditional has the stock klusons and they work fine. And even though I hear the strings ping in the nut when tuning it sometimes, it holds its tuning really well. I like that the 2013 SG standard looks like a '61 reissue and comes in white.

So might just be the nut? Easy enough. It is my only non-loking guitar.

• Members

Previously, there have been the Les Paul Traditional Pros, with affordable solid body (not the weight-relieved thing), slim tapered neck and coil splitting.

OK. Now they still continue coil-splitting with the Standards and the Studios. but where is the Traditional?

On the middle-price wing, they continue the Les Paul Classic Plus lineup. But they discontinue the Classic Customs.

Moreover, Gibson seems to discontinue producing the plain-coloured guitars largely. Almost only a few ebonies at Traditionals, Standards, Studios and Classics.

Then, there is this Tribute Studio thing.

IMHO, 2012 was a better year for the Les Paul guitars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by beter pan

View Post

previously, there have been the les paul traditional pros, with affordable solid body (not the weight-relieved thing), slim tapered neck and coil splitting.

ok. now they continue coil-splitting with the standards and the studios. but where is the traditional...

on the middle-price wing, they continue the les paul classic lineup. but they discontinue the classic customs.

moreover, the gibson seems to discontinue producing the ebony coloured guitars largely. no ebony at traditionals, standards, studios and classics...

imho, 2012 was better for the les paul lineup.

the Traditional was the answer to demand for the company continuing the "Old Standard", when the design changed to a chambered body. Gibson's new fan chambering backs off from the near hollow design the went with to more of a logical progression from the weight relief of the Standard/Traditional line.

the Classic Custom was Gibson's temporary solution to their rosewood and ebony issues. now that the situation has been resolved, that part of the line is no longer needed.

as for black guitars, i'm sure they'll be out there. Gibson needs to do something with their stock of ugly wood that needs to be painted over.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

View Post

the Traditional was the answer to demand for the company continuing the "Old Standard", when the design changed to a chambered body. Gibson's new fan chambering backs off from the near hollow design the went with to more of a logical progression from the weight relief of the Standard/Traditional line.

True. But the Les Paul Traditional Pro with the split coil was better than the Studios and cheaper than the Standards.

Anyway.... A Les Paul above the Studio lineup is generally quite a good guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by beter pan

View Post

True. But the Les Paul Traditional Pro with the split coil was better than the Studios and cheaper than the Standards.

Anyway.... A Les Paul above the Studio lineup is generally quite a good guitar.

you can always add split coil. if Gibson uses the same 4 wire pickups (not sure on that one) then it's the cost of two push/pull pots.

the Studio seems to have returned to it's roots as a spec-identical Standard, without the trim. both now have the long tenon w/ fan chambering.

• Members

That's what I would do with this guitar if they go on sale next Christmas when they are being blown out again like the Tributes this year. I'd probably go with real EMGs even though I like the look they have, just not a fan of the 490R/498T set. I have heard if you swap the magnets between them, they become a much better sounding and better balanced set and no idea why Gibson sticks with the magnets in them the way they do. the 498 T has an alnico 5 which makes it sound thin in the bridge. The 490R has a Alnico 2 in the neck making it sound muddy. Adding the warmer A2 to the 498T in the bridge makes it better and adding the punchier A5 in the neck makes the 490R much less muddy and more fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy

View Post

ah i didn't see they were 490/498's. Yeah they are good pickups. It could have almost done with black bridge as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

Looks a lot like "more of the same" to me. Gibson is either stuck with the tried and true, or they go ape-{censored} and make some weird, ridiculous thing no one would ever want. I guess "more of the same" is their best bet.

Usually two posters fight that Gibson is 1. "stuck with the tried and true" and 2."go ape-{censored} and make some weird, ridiculous thing"...you covered them both and YES I do know there is a middle ground...but seriously I am starting to get the idea that Gibson just can't win no matter what they do?

Archived