New Gibson 2013 models at Sweetwater - whoa!!!

cbh5150

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates View Post
I kind of hate these. SGs without pickguards look ridiculous.
Yeah. The new SG Standards are certainly nothing to shout about. And at $1,300 they are nothing to make you go "Wow, I'm getting one."

Best move is to buy a blown out SG Standard right now for just $800. We are talking five hundred dollars saving!

$1,300 -- you get '57 pickups with a lousy half pickguard
$800 ---- you get great 490/498 pickups, cool full batwing pickguard, and choice of great finishes (Natural Burst, Vintage Burst, Vintage Cherry)

This one is a no brainer. I went and bought me an SG Standard for just $800 and saved myself FIVE HUNDRED dollars!
Got it two days ago (won't open till Christmas).

PICT0747crop.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grape

View Post

Ah yes, the "telecasters, stratocasters, les pauls, SGs, ES-335s and all other well known popular electric guitars, as well as D-28s and most known acoustic guitars, are terrible and you're an idiot of you like any of them" argument.

Its pretty persuasive, right? lol

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Carbohydrates

View Post

I kind of hate these. SGs without pickguards look ridiculous. Some of these finishes look awful (alpine white burst?) and a lot of the changes appear to be made just for the sake of changing something.

So buy one with a pick guard and a finish you like. There are plenty of options.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner

View Post

So these are fixing what's been broke? Fairy snuff.

Huh? I'm not sure what you are saying, but the one thing that a lot of players disliked about the SG Standard was the neck shape. The smaller guard is a nice change of pace too, and the unnatural color of most of the baked maple boards along with the fact that it impacts the tone has been problematic for Gibson, so they are responding to consumer preferences. Even though a lot of players love the 490/498's, I'm sure that even more players preferred something else, so the ubiquitous 57's should make them happy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jpnyc

View Post

I feel a lot better about the 70s Tribute Goldtop Studio I just bought for $509 seeing that the 2013 Goldtop Studio is 1549 and the 2013 70s Tribute Goldtop is $1349. Binding is pricey!

506 cherry , returned the vintage burst after playing on it all day. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flintc

View Post

What in the world is a "decent pick guard"? If you NEED a pick guard, you haven't learned how to pick, and you should practice. If you don't, then pick guards are cosmetic, and ALWAYS ugly. If the pick guard can be removed, you're in luck. If it can't (because all the electronics are mounted to it), you have a poorly designed guitar and you should burn it immediately.

I don't agree but I don't think you expected me to.

• Members

I grabbed that 60's Tribute SG off Sweetwater a couple weeks ago. Played it last night. Needs locking tuners badly, otherwise, for $449 shipped, no gripes. After 2 sets with the Reverend Flat Roc on, it was a nice break, cause it feels like it weighs 4 lbs less. These new models don't really compel me to 'want'. i still have my eye on a Lifeson someday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just picked up my 2013 SG Standard from local GC after I had ordered it online. Got home, and damn, the neck pickup doesn't work! WTF...so much for Gibson QC. Tomorrow it's back to the store and will order a new one that hopefully will work. And next time I'll try it before leaving the store. Very disappointing, to say the least.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

Looks a lot like "more of the same" to me. Gibson is either stuck with the tried and true, or they go ape-shit and make some weird, ridiculous thing no one would ever want. I guess "more of the same" is their best bet.

That's not really true. They've had lots of subtle variants of their regular models in the past and continue to make some today. What would you like to see from Gibson?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thozzman

View Post

Just picked up my 2013 SG Standard from local GC after I had ordered it online. Got home, and damn, the neck pickup doesn't work! WTF...so much for Gibson QC. Tomorrow it's back to the store and will order a new one that hopefully will work. And next time I'll try it before leaving the store. Very disappointing, to say the least.

Fuck, you should just buy Chinese. Goddamn Gibson pinkos.

Archived