Beginners amp!

thecornman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say the mustang 1 MIGHT be a good beginners amp, but maybe NOT. Same goes for the thr for the same reason. I would think it might be too complicated and distracting.

For a true beginner, something like a peavy bandit would probably be a better fit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman

View Post

A buddy's daughter is just starting out on guitar and he has asked me advise on getting her a amp with a headphone jack! I have no idea what to suggest to him, because it has been a long time since I have looked into these kind of things. Doubt he wants to spend a fortune on something, but I am sure he would want to get her something new, because it would be a christmas present. Probably would be good to get her something with some built in effects as well. So what say you?

Vox VT20+.

• Members

Well I talked to buddy again tonight a bit about where his daughter was at! They bought the Rocksmith game last year and I gave him a Yamaha EG guitar I got for 40 bucks at a garage sale a while back so they didnt have to buy something to just try the game out. For a basic starter kit guitar it actually is not to bad to start out with. I replaced the pickups with some extra stuff I had around and gave it a good setup and it played and sounded pretty damn good for what it is. He says she doesn't play with the game at all anymore and has just been playing it unplugged with stuff she is finding on the net. He says she has been picking it up all the time so to him it seems like she has soon interest to push herself to learn. I have to agree with him on that! When someone does something on their own without being pushed there is a better chance they will follow through. Anyways after looking up some of the stuff you guys have thrown out there and explaining what they were about somewhat he likes what the Mustang I has to offer. I am sure that the Vox ones probably offer a better sound for someone who has been playing a while and cares about tone more, but for now something that offers lots of sounds appeals for him more so he doesn't feel the need to have to pick up more pedals untill he knows she is in for sure. You guys have got me curious though on trying some of these starter Vox amps out even though they are something I have no need for.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
I'd say the mustang 1 MIGHT be a good beginners amp, but maybe NOT. Same goes for the thr for the same reason. I would think it might be too complicated and distracting.

For a true beginner, something like a peavy bandit would probably be a better fit.
I totally agree that a Bandit would be a great amp to start with! Hell they are just good amps period really. If I was to want to get a solid state amp again I would pick up a used one. For him though he is looking for something new and cheaper like low 100's that can cover alot of sounds for her. She is 14 years old I am sure she can figure {censored} on an amp out way easier then me.

• Members

I love my THR5 for what it is. A desktop AMP.

I am going to be looking for a starter amp for my daughter next year and would choose the Mustang I or the Vox VT20+. If she is into technology, like a lot of kids are, the Mustang would be a good choice, plus it has a lot of good stock tones.

• Members

Another vote for the Roland Cube 15x if on a budget and the Yamaha THR10 if more funds are available. Both have built in tuners, aux inputs, and effects. The Yamaha has amazing tone a low volume levels in a very small package. It's the ultimate practice/bedroom/portable amp.

• Members

4 choices : a vox pathfinder 15R (Great amp!), one of the 15 watt - Line6 (there not as bad as you think!), Roland MicroCube (again not bad for the money etc) and a one of 15 watt little marshalls (they sound good). Gives you enough choice, all have a wide range of sounds, head phone jacks and can be made to sound great at LOW VOLUMES!!

• Members

I agree with the Pathfinder suggestion. Relatively simple, very unfussy to tweak, but a lot of useful bells and whistles and some flexibility for a beginner's amp. Wish I had one as my first amp.

Another idea, a bit more pricey: ZT Junior. Dead simple. Not as flexible in sounds but if it's like the full-sized Lunchbox you have to really try to get a really bad sound. Current promo pack includes a carry case, battery pack, and pedal-powering daisy chain for $180. Good for portability and if pedals are a certainty.

• Members

I'm not a beginner and I still get bored at times and break out the fx pedals. I'll say the Mustang or something similar with at least some fx or features. I also have to mention the Vox amplug (I have the AC-30), it's the best headphone amp I have ever used and is well worth the price.

• Members

The Vox and Mustang 1 are both good for the reasons stated.
I'm not much of the fan of the micro cube but the 20w and even more so the bigger ones are fine amps. Love the JC clean muself Decent tube OD emulations, chorus, reverb.
Not as many sounds as the Mustang series but simple to operate. Looper on the big one is a nice feature.
Also I was impressed when I played thru an little Orange Crush 20, sounded great to me with a little of its own character. 8" speaker, aux in and headphone out, tho I didn't use em.

• Members

Good to hear. I keep forgetting that we're in a new era of "beginner" player these days. A USB interface and modeling software won't make it confusing, it will make it more fun! Heck I'm surprised they haven't added SMS (texting, lol) to amps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thecornman

View Post

He picked up the Mustang I for her today! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

That's awesome! It's a great era for beginners. My first amp was this god aweful crate 15 watt SS amp. Sounded terrible. Amazing you can get an amp like the Mustang I these days for just a little more than that crappy crate cost.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim View Post
Mustang 1 is a great choice. Its what I'm using.
Bassman and Twin settings are great at really low practice volumes.
Ask wangdog for his Deluxe reverb settings. I tweekeked the settings he posted and use that model a lot now. Never used it befor he posted his settings.

Archived