Any Yamaha THR10 owners around?

steve_man

• Members

I've seen these online before, but actually tried one out today.  I was pretty surprised at the quality of the tone, and the volume that it would acheive, especially for how small it is.

DV016\_Jpg\_Large\_H81861\_angle.jpg

DV016\_Jpg\_Large\_H81861\_top.jpg

Just curious about how you like them after owning them for a while?  Were they worth the money?  $299 is pretty expensive...but my local shop said they'd do one for 10\% off...   I was tempted, but resisted for now. 

• Members

I've been playing through a Yamaha DG80 since they first came out so the THR amps do not surprise me at all.

I think it might have something to do with the D/A conversion but I have always found Yamaha digital products had a slightly "warmer" and more natural sound than some of the other brands.

• Members

A lot of us were talking about the THR when it first came out. I've had mine for over a year and I still enjoy it. I bought a Kemper Profiler last spring so I don't record with the THR ( although I prefer the recorded tones over the amp's 2" speaker tones) but I still use it for practice sessions while sitting in front of the TV etc. The THR Editor allows you to customize and save stuff not on the amp like compression. I've become addicted to the Crunch/Vox channel. The heavier/gainy channels are a tad too trebly for me. Great little portable box, much better ( to my ears) than the Micro Cube I've since sold.  The reverbs are stellar.

• Members

nuke_diver wrote:

Pretty sure Jkater has one and loves it.   I'm sure he'll chime in when he can

Yes, and it's right under my nose as I type this. :)

For me, it has become my main recording interface and I hardly use it as an amp (seeing that... I rarely use amps at all). It records everything very well notably thanks to the three additional "models" (not sure that's how I 'd call them) bass, acoustic and the excellent "flat" for line instruments like keys ot drums. For microphones it is decent but that's not what's it's designed for, though it would do the job. I like the two controls "guitar" and "usb/aux" when recording because with those, you can balance the playback and recording signal to your liking without affecting the level of what's recorded. The THR is an example of quality vs quantity : few models, few effects but they're good. I was most pleased at how, as an interface, it just worked flawlessly and installed with no bug whatsoever. The Editor is great and allows a few more things to be added like compressor and cabs which you can store in the user memory so you don't have to be plugged to a computer to get back at those when playing at the coffee table.

Comparatively, I tried to use the Fender mustang III as an usb interface and it was so full of bugs, I just gave up.

As an amp, I find the THR to be useful at very low volume. If I want to be loud and sound really full, I have a couple of bigger amps for that. This is where the Mustang III has the edge.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I love the the THR10 and some of the configurations I've been able to come up with using the editor. So much so that I want to use it on stage. Before taking it out of the house for real, I've been putting it through my Bose PA system via the headphone out. It sounds fine to my ears. Any reason why I shouldn't be able to use this setup in a performance setting? And don't you all think Yamaha is missing an opportunity by not taking the THR technology to a combo-sized amp?

• Members
I have a THR10C' date=' my only gripe is that it has the tendency to make average guitars sound very good[/quote']

That's funny, because they can indeed do that.

I've long had a "love/with a bit of hate" relationship with my '93 (IIRC) Gibson Nighthawk SP-3. I love its 10 switch setting versatility and lightweight size and feel, but it's limited on its inner soul and vibe. But for sometime, it and my THR10 have been my constant bedroom amp/guitar rig. And the THR10 does indeed mask a good deal of that guitar's "limitations"

And yeah, the $300 price point is a bit off-putting, but it's sort of like paying bigger bucks for a Bose clock radio. They manage to get bigger sound out of the box than you would think. It's like a fairly full sound achieved at lower volumes. If you crank it up too much, it does get woofy sounding, but at moderate volumes it's hard to beat. I would whole-heartedly endorse that product for your bedroom, or as a BeanoBoy said above, it would be a great little practice amp if you just want to noodle a bit on your guitar while catching a bit of TV too. That's a "double-tasking" activity I enjoy, far more than my wife does smiley-wink but the THR10 is great for those type of activities where you want a good practice tone, but want to minimize footprint space and don't care to be cooking a set of tubes.

I'd say, get the best discount you can (I know my discount wasn't that much) and then "bless and forgive" the cost of admission. It's just a convenient practice amp for either the bedroom, office or, as mentioned, when squeaking in some playing time during commercial breaks, or when your wife turns on Rachel Maddow. :D

I like mine well enough that I've been seriously considering getting the THR10C as well. I've also been tempted to get the THR5 since the 10 is a bit too wide for my cluttered desk top.

But yeah, I'd love to see a better price deal before buying any more, but I don't regret getting the THR10

Based on the THR10, it has raised my curiosity about their new line of SS modeling amps, i.e. THR100H

• Members

I think it's one of the more perfect toys one MUST have! Search on Feebay, I got mine for 200 shipped. For quick ideas, thrown into the computer, it's perfect. A great monitor for my laptop, and, if needed, it's battery powered for little outside trips. it won't replace my Roland, but it's damn good.

• Members

I have one. I wanted to love it, I really did. Even got the carry bag for playing at my normal venue, the beach in the morning.

This is what put me off:

1. on batteries, if you push it just a hair too far, it shuts down and you have to switch off, then on. Other battery powered amps I have don't do this, and they also run on fewer batteries.

2. On the fly adjustment of effects: not linear, just slightest touch leads to huge differences. I like a little chorus now and then, but good luck on getting that without frustration.

3. The acoustic selection has developed an annoying hum I don't get with the other channels. I live in Thailand, so taking in for service is "problematic"

I usually like Yamaha products quite a bit. Usually very good value (I have AC-3R git I love, an APX-T1 travel that punches well above weight and an older Yamaha VA10 amp that I find superior in many ways, and only cost me $70)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe Thr10 is a great tool for low volume playing/practicing. One negative thing I will concur with, hi-gain settings are quite trebly, maybe they got it better in the Thr10x the hi-gain version? Lead channel is its best,.plays classic rock incredibly well. I tend to use the acoustic channel for clean playing, I can not say I got the most brilliant clean sounds out of the.Thr, but it is still fine enough I think. Although much praised for its headphone output in the forums, I didn't get good results there.either. But it can well be the best thing for low volume playing with its small speakers, so it makes up for it. Recommended.

• Members
on batteries' date=' if you push it just a hair too far, it shuts down and you have to switch off, then on. [/quote']

I never had such problems until I tried using rechargeable batteries once. I knew immediately what the problem was -- too low of a voltage. Fully charged NiMH D-cell batteries don't produce 1.5 volts, it's more like 1.2 volts.

Nonetheless, I went back to using fresh alkaline Eveready or Duracell batteries and have never had the over-current shutdown problem again.

Archived