Talking Guitars-what's the most blasphemous mod you can thing of?

bjcarl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the mid 70's I modded a Gibson Les Paul "Black Beauty" to shoot sparks and smoke just like Ace Frehley's. Let me tell you... It messed up the guitar

Then there is this:

In the mid 70's I modded not one but two Gibson Les Paul's because I read that John McLaughlin played a scalloped fingerboard so I went at a 1975 Les Paul Artisan with a dremel tool and really messed up the neck. Since I was unhappy with the outcome after a few months I decided to do the same thing to a 1973 Les Paul Recording model that I picked up at a Pawn Shop...

Young and dumb comes to mind now but back in those days these guitars were cheap!

• Members

Ask Bbreaker...back then, they didn't know what they had
:)
We have an awesome vintage shop here in Northern VA where I've actually seen a '59 Junior routed out and fitted with a Dimarzio super distortion ;(

In the late '70s, when I first started playing, I had an SG Junior (don't know the year) that had a P90. I removed it and routed the body for a Dimarzio super distortion.

The guitar was later stolen, so maybe that was a dope slap from karma.

• Members

Even though the whole "guitars are just tools" argument is probably true, I find it infinitely annoying whenever someone brings it up in these types of threads. Obviously the OP and the people wanting to throw out their opinions don't hold to that, and when people say that, they come off sounding like elitist snobs. So please stop pissing in other people's Cheerios, and go start a thread about how your guitar and the power strip you plug into hold the same value to you as a means to an end.

And to answer the OP's question for me, I think that the only blasphemous thing you can do is borrow a guitar from someone and then mod it. That's low. I am not keen on routing things or doing major mods, but for all the modded 60's Strats, in the 70s, that's like modding a Strat from '00 or so. Even if it's a USA, no one would complain much, and I'm sure it was the same back then.

• Members

Ask Bbreaker...back then, they didn't know what they had
:)
We have an awesome vintage shop here in Northern VA where I've actually seen a '59 Junior routed out and fitted with a Dimarzio super distortion ;(

Where in northern VA? I used to be in Alexandria but last week moved to Falls Church. Been here a whole year (in January) and still know very little about the area.

• Members

Where in northern VA? I used to be in Alexandria but last week moved to Falls Church. Been here a whole year (in January) and still know very little about the area.

Action Music in Falls Church-212 N.West St...right past the 7-11...if you haven't checked it out, you owe yourself...I think it's one of the best shops in the entire country-they do repairs on guitars and amps, always have an assortment of guitars for cheap and vintage stuff that's WAY out of reach, but nearly everything's quality...the owner's name is Matt, tell him Carl sent you!

• Members
It all depends on how you view a guitar. If it is a tool to make music then what ever modifications you need to get the job done are perfectly fine. If you for whatever reason believe a guitar is an investment like gold or silver anything you do to that guitar that changes it from the way it left the factory is unacceptable.

I think it's safe to say there's a certain element of humor/sarcasm intended in this thread...no need to take it seriously.

• Members

A

Action Music in Falls Church-212 N.West St...right past the 7-11...if you haven't checked it out, you owe yourself...I think it's one of the best shops in the entire country-they do repairs on guitars and amps, always have an assortment of guitars for cheap and vintage stuff that's WAY out of reach, but nearly everything's quality...the owner's name is Matt, tell him Carl sent you!

Awesome! I actually googled guitar shops last night and this was the first one that came up. I think i live less than 2 miles from it. Will check it out. Thanks Carl!

• Members

I've spent so much time taking something rough and making it look the best I can that

I just can't imagine taking something nice and making it look like crap.

When I see reliced I think of words like fake. phoney and wanna be

The thing that bothers me the most about relics is the "economics". I can see folks wanting a relic'd guitar to get that same sense of comfort as a worn pair of jeans. But since most relics are higher end, the economics of having a nice guitar and then paying substantially more to have the finish, metals and p'ups scratched, chipped, dinged and tarnished just doesn't add up for me.

That being said, I do have 1 Road Worn Telecaster Custom, but I bought that guitar for the lighter finish and build quality used on that particular guitar vs the other MIM builds. I was also tempted by the Joe Strummer telecaster, (especially when it was clearance priced) but never did get up enough GAS to make that leap.

But I can only rationalize the economics of a relic if it comes with some other enhancements in the deal AND it only adds a nominal amount to the cost. Really, the "poser" aspect doesn't enter into it for me. It's purely the aesthetics and economics that bother me. The comfort of not cringing each time you gently knock a relic guitar accidentally against another object is enough to out-weigh (for me) the poser concern.

The odd part, is that most of us here, myself included, generally rail against Relics, but yet the new guitar market is still chock full of them. Fender Relics & Gibson VOS models. Someone must sure love them but they're not fessin up. ;)

• Members

Just in general for me, it's folks yanking good pickups out and replacing them with pickups that IMO are inferior.

The Gretsch in the OP isn't something I'd do either. But when I first saw it I also thought, well, at least it's only an Electromatic.

• Members

Just in general for me, it's folks yanking good pickups out and replacing them with pickups that IMO are inferior.

The Gretsch in the OP isn't something I'd do either. But when I first saw it I also thought, well, at least it's only an Electromatic.

Yeah I keep thinking of a guy I knew who played a Gretsch Country Club with Dimarzios. Ick.

• Members

People pay me to do that to their guitars. It's their guitar and their money. I'll take it from them and give 'em back an axe that sounds like {censored}. Don't bother me none.

• Members

Um... nothing.

It's just some bits of wood and metal. Do whatever you want to it. Reverence towards guitars = dumb.

This sucks and really depresses me. I feel so foolish-as should everyone-for wasting so much time talking about guitars on an internet forum when, really, all they are is bits of metal and wood. :(

• Members

The odd part, is that most of us here, myself included, generally rail against Relics, but yet the new guitar market is still chock full of them. Fender Relics & Gibson VOS models. Someone must sure love them but they're not fessin up.
;)

I'll happily 'fess up. :wave: The biggest argument for relics is the necks: worn in just the right places to give it a very comfortable feel.

And I find the quality control on relics - whether through a Custom Shop or a small builder like Nash or Danocaster - are more consistent than the original 50's and 60's Fenders and Gibsons. I've played vintage guitars that were heavenly and some that were good only for firewood. $1,500 for a Nash strat copy versus $30,000+ for a genuine '56 Strat? Hmm . . .

And yes, Fender knocked one out of the park with the Road Worn series. The Tex-Mex pickups aren't the greatest but the necks are excellent and fit & finish are phenomenal.

Archived