Talking Guitars-what's the most blasphemous mod you can thing of?

bjcarl

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Um... nothing.

It's just some bits of wood and metal. Do whatever you want to it. Reverence towards guitars = dumb.

We agree here bigtime. When it comes to electric guitars I have no love for something that is not playable. If that means changing up a new instrument to make it a great player or hacking a vintage piece within an inch of its life to make it sound its best then I am all over it.

Yea... I am that guy that would take a 57 strat, rip out the pickups and put in rails and then route it for a floyd. Then my friends... We would have a great guitar. ;)

• Members

This sucks and really depresses me. I feel so foolish-as should everyone-for wasting so much time talking about guitars on an internet forum when, really, all they are is bits of metal and wood.
:(

huh? Could you not put words into my mouth?

I never said anybody here was dumb for liking guitars. I'm saying that there's nothing that you could do to one which would be 'blasphemous'. It's a {censored}ing tool for making music, end of story. People who spend all their time making sure their guitars are spotless and as near-original spec as possible are the ones you should pity; not that there's anything wrong with keeping your guitar stock - most of mine are and those that aren't have reversible mods. That being said, if I had an LP Studio you can bet I'd route that mofo for a Kahler faster than you can say 'Floyd Rose'.

• Members

huh? Could you
not
put words into my mouth?

I never said anybody here was dumb for liking guitars. I'm saying that there's nothing that you could do to one which would be 'blasphemous'. It's a {censored}ing tool for making music, end of story. People who spend all their time making sure their guitars are spotless and as near-original spec as possible are the ones you should pity; not that there's anything wrong with keeping your guitar stock - most of mine are and those that aren't have reversible mods. That being said, if I had an LP Studio you can bet I'd route that mofo for a Kahler faster than you can say 'Floyd Rose'.

Agree with you! Guitars are a tool for making music. I don't understand why people get so offended if someone mods their own guitar to better make the music they want to! The whole it's a sin attitude when someone puts a bucker in a strat or tele makes no sense to me. If you like single coils use them. If you don't change them. I don't care much for tattoo's, but if I see someone covered in them I don't get offended and say that it is wrong and not the way the body was meant to be.

• Members

I guess if it's your guitar you're free to {censored} it up any way you want. Ya know, all you tool guys out there.:lol:

But I get the heebie-jeebies when I see a vintage Strat routed for a FR or a Gretsch fitted with EMG's (for that matter I don't like anything with EMG's :lol:). Here's an idea: if you want something with such a radically different sound than what you have why not find a guitar that's made to sound that way in the first place? :idea:

• Members

I managed a guy who was an amazing musician; could literally pick up anything and be competent on it within hours. He was primarily a guitarist, and a very good one (both technique and inventive). He looooooooooooved his nice gear (60's Fenders particularly JM's, older Marshalls, Oranges), and purchased a one-off 12-string Mosrite from the 60's, thinking he was going to get into 'that sound.'

Except. 12-string refuse him. For some reason he just couldn't play it the way he could play everything else, and this angered him.

Went over to his place about an hour after he had "changed the 12 string to a 6 string" ... by sawing off the top half of the headstock with a circular saw. Didn't even slop any shellac on there - just the raw wood that Semie had lovingly carved. I threw up a little in my mouth. After rinsing down the bile with a beer, I asked him "why didn't you just light a few thousand dollars on fire?"

• Members

I guess if it's your guitar you're free to {censored} it up any way you want. Ya know, all you tool guys out there.
:lol:

But I get the heebie-jeebies when I see a vintage Strat routed for a FR or a Gretsch fitted with EMG's (for that matter I don't like anything with EMG's
:lol:
). Here's an idea: if you want something with such a radically different sound than what you have why not find a guitar that's
made to sound that way in the first place
?
:idea:

I don't know! Why did Eric Clapton tear apart three Strats to put together his number one? Maybe because he was looking for something he could not get from just one of them! What an idiot. Why do so many people on this forum change the pickups on their guitars after they get them? What a bunch of fools! Then there are these losers that change the tubes in their amps to get a different sound from them.

• Members

Even though the whole "guitars are just tools" argument is probably true, I find it infinitely annoying whenever someone brings it up in these types of threads. Obviously the OP and the people wanting to throw out their opinions don't hold to that, and when people say that, they come off sounding like elitist snobs. So please stop pissing in other people's Cheerios, and go start a thread about how your guitar and the power strip you plug into hold the same value to you as a means to an end.

And to answer the OP's question for me, I think that the only
blasphemous
thing you can do is borrow a guitar from someone and then mod it. That's low. I am not keen on routing things or doing major mods, but for all the modded 60's Strats, in the 70s, that's like modding a Strat from '00 or so. Even if it's a USA, no one would complain much, and I'm sure it was the same back then.

I answered the OP's question and explained the reasoning behind my opinion; I hardly think that counts as pissing in anyone's Cheerios.

• Members

I answered the OP's question and explained the reasoning behind my opinion; I hardly think that counts as pissing in anyone's Cheerios.

It's all good...but really, I was hoping to see some fugly-ass guitars and that's what I've gotten :D

• Members

I don't know! Why did Eric Clapton tear apart three Strats to put together his number one? Maybe because he was looking for something he could not get from just one of them! What an idiot. Why do so many people on this forum change the pickups on their guitars after they get them? What a bunch of fools! Then there are these losers that change the tubes in their amps to get a different sound from them.

Yeah, uh...here's the thing, genius. Clapton used Strat parts to make.....a Strat. See how that works? Usually (granted, not always but usually) when people swap out pickups it's like for like, ie humbuckers that sound better than the ones that came in your Les Paul. And sure, swap a 12AT7 for a 12AX7, why not.

But I'm talking about taking really nice guitars that are built to make a certain sound and hacking them up to try to make a completely different sound. Or taking a beautiful vintage instrument and hacking it up for a FR or some such {censored}.

But what the heck, I did say that YOU can {censored} up YOUR guitar if that's what you want to do. And I did say that it gave ME the heebie-jeebies to see that stuff done.

So, don't get yer knickers in a twist, dearie.

• Members

Yeah, uh...here's the thing, genius. Clapton used Strat parts to make.....a Strat. See how that works? Usually (granted, not always but usually) when people swap out pickups it's like for like, ie humbuckers that sound better than the ones that came in your Les Paul. And sure, swap a 12AT7 for a 12AX7, why not.

But I'm talking about taking really nice guitars that are built to make a certain sound and hacking them up to try to make a completely different sound. Or taking a beautiful vintage instrument and hacking it up for a FR or some such {censored}.

But what the heck, I did say that YOU can {censored} up YOUR guitar if that's what you want to do. And I did say that it gave ME the heebie-jeebies to see that stuff done.

Plus...Clapton was a heroin-junkie. Doesn't mean we should all run off and start doing smack, does it? ;)

• Members

My point was genius that not everyone finds what they want out of a guitar off the shelf! I am not sure what difference it makes what kind of pickups a person swaps out for if they are still swapping them out. I am more worried about how a guitar plays and sounds then if it looks vintage correct. Mind you I just use them to play music. I save my emotional attachments for people not objects. I don't cry when I see footage of Jimi burning a Strat or Pete smashing a guitar, just like I don't when I see footage of Frank Zappa making amazing music on one of his heavily modified vintage guitars!

So, don't get your panties in a knot, sweetheart.

• Members

Plus...Clapton was a heroin-junkie. Doesn't mean we should all run off and start doing smack, does it?
;)

Wow really someone in the music business with a drug problem! That has got to be a rare thing. Surely anyone like that could never do anything usefull.

Archived