Do you own more than one of the same kind, or similar guitar ?

Buttcrust

• Members

Mostly i go for different models . I did get 3 lps. Similar enough 2 should go. I'll keep a backup strat or 2 because different wood. Fun to mod and cheap. Oh and one is lucite.. Got 4 teles. 1 can go. 1 is insane bling inlaid for decoration. Add in the lpjr p90 and an sg and a hb superstrat. Then acoustics

• Members

Three LP types: one a cheap epiphone that I picked up to try to postpone my GAS (didn't work), one a 60s tribute with p90s, the last an alpine white studio with ebony board and humbuckers.  They all sound and play differently.

What's a bit ironic is that I'm more of a strat kind of guy, and I only own one of those. 

• Members

PurpleTrails wrote:

Three LP types: one a cheap epiphone that I picked up to try to postpone my GAS (didn't work), one a 60s tribute with p90s, the last an alpine white studio with ebony board and humbuckers.  They all sound and play differently.

What's a bit ironic is that I'm more of a strat kind of guy, and I only own one of those. 

Knucklehead!....cause the Strat is it for ya!

• Members

Four strats which I use almost exclusively.

An SC

A fat strat

And one with action set a bit high with whatever open tuning I am horsing around with usually E or Em

Also a strat like Westone Thunder which is all factory  HB nice for Jazz

I have many other guitars but they feel like using someone elses tool box, the stuff is all there but you can't find what you need as easily .

• Members

Chordite wrote:

Four strats which I use almost exclusively.

An SC

A fat strat

And one with action set a bit high with whatever open tuning I am horsing around with usually E or Em

Also a strat like Westone Thunder which is all factory  HB nice for Jazz

I have many other guitars but they feel like using someone elses tool box, the stuff is all there but you can't find what you need as easily .

I know what you mean.  I used to base my guitar choices loosely on a book I took out of the library (Guitar for Dummies) when I decided to give it another stab (had a guitar I never really learned to play when I was a kid) when I was still a young pup (47).  Anyway that book lists the guitars every budding guitarist should have in his/her arsenal (Strat, Superstrat, Tele, LP, SG, 335, 135, Ric, Gretsch, etc., etc.).  So I went about filling categories (loosely) until one day I woke up and said "I don't have enough damn money", spending more time hunting for deals and modding guitars than playing.  And then I noticed that most really good players tend to settle in to one type of guitar.  So a couple years ago I got rid of every guitar that felt foreign and kept the ones I could live with and kinda made a small commitment to Strats as my default guitar.  And now I'm playing better than ever and I still get all the different guitar toanz I could ever want or need.

• Members

I don't own any of the same style, but that's not because I don't want to. My favourite guitar is a Fender Mustang, I own a 65 reissue and it just feels so right in my freakishly tiny hands. I imagine I'll buy at least one or two more in the future, hopefully vintage. 

I don't think there's any shame in sticking with a certain style if it's what you're comfortable with.

Archived