Chambered Gibson Les Pauls

animalwithin

• Members

I have one of the DC p90 Goldtops and a 90s Classic with Burstbuckers. The experience of playing them is different - the GT is lighter, vibrates much more and is balanced quite differently - the Classic has that wonderful LP solidity, but they both sustain about the same. The most striking thing about them is how similar they sound. The GT has a little more bite and a more pronounced bottom end, but fundamentally they are remarkably close.

• Members

Maybe the prognosis is that more people like the sound of a hollowbody than they would admit.

Lol I do, I love my semi-hollow. I brought up this question because I really want a Zakk Wylde Gibson Les Paul but they go for around $3500 used, if I can find a used one. Gibson has a chambered version of the ZW Les Paul that I can get for around $1500, but I dont know much about chambered LP's. I'd still like the standard Zakk Wylde LP, but for $3500 oh man, that probably wont happen haha.

• Members

I think that for the reason gibson does chambering (so they can use cheaper heavier cuts of mahogany) it's a good thing. If they were to make solid LP's with the mahogany that they use they'd all be 13 pounds and sound like {censored}. So in that sense it has made modern factory USA Les Pauls much more consistent than the 70's/80's.

But having said that...I personally think they aren't the same as a proper solid LP. Better or worse is an opinion, and in mine they aren't as nice. But to each his own.

• Members

Lol I do, I love my semi-hollow. I brought up this question because I really want a Zakk Wylde Gibson Les Paul but they go for around $3500 used, if I can find a used one. Gibson has a chambered version of the ZW Les Paul that I can get for around $1500, but I dont know much about chambered LP's. I'd still like the standard Zakk Wylde LP, but for $3500 oh man, that probably wont happen haha.

Cheaper ZW? Are you talking about the BFG models? Just a word of warning - they have a maple neck so they can be neck heavy! Well the ones I played were anyway...

May I suggest you get a white Edwards LP custom and get the bullseye decal painted on it? :thu:

67hf8fp.jpg

• Members

I play a 2007 Les Paul Classic Antique and the thing that really sold me on it when trying different Pauls was the weight. I've got a bad rib which affects the nerves in my left shoulder and a really heavy Les Paul is not something I can do these days. The Classic Antique is probably about 7.5 lbs and very comfy when I'm playing it. As far as sound I don't hear anything but classic Les Paul crunch and sustain.

• Members

Cheaper ZW? Are you talking about the BFG models? Just a word of warning - they have a maple neck so they can be neck heavy! Well the ones I played were anyway...

May I suggest you get a white Edwards LP custom and get the bullseye decal painted on it?

Yea Gibson has a ZW BFG (chambered) and it's cheaper than the Standard ZW les paul, used I found for $1500. I love the standard one but its soooo expensive. I love that it has an unfinished neck, weight isn't a big concern. I'll check out the edwards, looks great. Too bad the ZW Gibson costs so much, maybe someone will be selling a used one a year from now that's much cheaper somewhere in the world?

• Members

Yea Gibson has a ZW BFG (chambered) and it's cheaper than the Standard ZW les paul, used I found for $1500. I love the standard one but its soooo expensive. I love that it has an unfinished neck, weight isn't a big concern. I'll check out the edwards, looks great. Too bad the ZW Gibson costs so much, maybe someone will be selling a used one a year from now that's much cheaper somewhere in the world?

Just find a nice Les Paul with an ebony fretboard, put some EMGs in it, and Scotchbrite the neck to taste. Call it a stealthy ZW. You're paying a premium for the bullseye on those sigs. :D

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Like many other posts I agree that it's up to the player and their ear.

However, after playing a "boat anchor" 79 Gibson Custom for nearly 30 years, the weight relieved ones do not have the round tone or sustain. The chambered ones are pretty similar in lack of balls. Good effects and a decent amp can overshadow this lack in tone, but not completely. Levi makes a wide elastic strap that makes a huge difference for me in delaying/combatting fatigue for long gigs or practice.

I also bring a tele or SG, and keep it nearby for those times when I feel like The Hunchback, and giving myself wings from the Beast. But the trade off is obvious in sound. Nothing beats a solid LP, or kicks your butt like one.

:smiley-cool11:

• Members

drvee1 wrote:

Like many other posts I agree that it's up to the player and their ear.  
:smiley-cool11:

I bet that boat anchor of a 79 Gibson Les Paul Custom doesn't possess the same level of boat-anchorism that an 79 Antoniotsai geetar has.  No way.  By the way, I own a rare pre-war '34 Les Paul Custom.  Heavy as hell, coz they made 'em to last back then, and it has.  Str8 Pimpin

• Members

I accidently did a trade for a chambered 90s Standard. It was decent, but it didn't sound anything like a LP - more like an SG. Not a fan.

Played a Historic Cloud 9 and it was one of the more authentic 'Burst' sounding guitars I have played.

• Members

animalwithin wrote:

Why do chambered ones cost less though? Doesnt it take more time and work to hollow out a guitar? 

I think the price of a Les Paul has a lot more to do with marketing and what people are willing to pay than it has to do with what it costs to build them.

The Studios from the early 90s were every bit a Les Paul but they were "dumbed down" in order for Gibson to be able to sell them a bit cheaper to compete with other brand but not with their own product.