Liberalism is a mental disorder.

dragon9666

• Members

FACT: Bush did {censored} ALL over the crisis in Lebanon last summer

Wrong. What he did 1) didn't make the papers and 2) didn't go through political channels.

Lebanon is a pretty complex situation. It isn't like there are clear bad guys and good guys. What exactly did you expect him to do anyway? What would you have done if you had the keys to the White House?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How is the legislative branch being blackmailed. I think they're being called on what they're doing, which is using a backhanded approach to disrupting the war in Iraq. Losing passage through Turkey for supplies and such would be a tremendous setback to the war effort. I can't see any other reason why congress would pick this particular moment to address the genocide that took place a century ago. First off, we already condemned the killings once in the 70's and again in the 80's. It's been done. Second, didn't this thing just come out of the blue? You can't tell me there's been a huge uproar amongst Armenian-Americans to get some sort of resolution passed. There hasn't been. Occam's razor definitely applies in this situation. You don't have to think the Iraq war was a good idea or support Turkey to see what's happening.

• Members
How is the legislative branch being blackmailed. I think they're being called on what they're doing, which is using a backhanded approach to disrupting the war in Iraq. Losing passage through Turkey for supplies and such would be a tremendous setback to the war effort. I can't see any other reason why congress would pick this particular moment to address the genocide that took place a century ago. First off, we already condemned the killings once in the 70's and again in the 80's. It's been done. Second, didn't this thing just come out of the blue? You can't tell me there's been a huge uproar amongst Armenian-Americans to get some sort of resolution passed. There hasn't been. Occam's razor definitely applies in this situation. You don't have to think the Iraq war was a good idea or support Turkey to see what's happening.

The impish side of me says that this is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

• Members

And all eight living former secretaries of state sent a signed letter to Pelosi warning her of the consequenses of proceeding with this action at this time and Pelosi intends to go ahead anyway.

• Members
I'm not a right-winger. I rail against stupidity no matter what color it wears.

I'm also not commenting on the "strategy". What I told you was the simple truth that as long as we have airbases, Turkey isn't going to get any bitch-slappin' from the US. I also told you it was hypocrisy, didn't I?

Exactly right! Woops, correct!:D

• Members

I hope Bush doesn't try to appease the Turks. They'll pipe down soon enough. They have an awful lot to lose from doing something retarded. France called it a genocide a while back and guess what? They bitched and moaned about it for like a week and then shut up. They still want to join the EU and haven't frozen relations with France or anything.

So don't worry. They won't do anything overly stupid. They're NATO members, after all.

But on the other hand, would you want allies who would behave in that manner? Over an issue that has no actual significance? Just because it'll make them look bad? They don't like being reminded of what happened. It's like they're in denial, or something.

Again, I'm very biased on this issue so I'm not capable of giving a balanced view, but it's something to think of.

• Moderators
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7046445.stm

Too... much... irony....... head... about... to explode....
:freak:

It's not ironic at all. We've (US/China) been pissing each other off every now and then over Taiwan and other things, since Mao defeated Chiang Kai-shek. They're not going to get that pissed. If we needed China for troop support in Iraq, there's no way Bush would be going to visit the DL. The Chinese need our economy to sell their goods a lot more than we need them at the moment. Remember, we brought North Korea to the multi-nation table for nuclear talks. The last thing China wants is a nuclear threat from North Korea.

• Members
A couple of right-wingers having to be told that appeasement is a losing strategy, whilst they insist the media is full of it and not to be trusted...has the world gone topsy-turvy or something?
:confused:

I agree that appeasement NEVER works.
And I could care less if a country is offended by historical events being condemned.
OTOH, Congress should not be interfering in foreign policy.

Regarding the "News", I was merely pointing out that the "News" is seldom delivered without being spun around some agenda.

• Moderators
OTOH, Congress should not be interfering in foreign policy.

This is a critical point here. I couldn't agree more. Remember Pelosi overstepped her bounds by a great margin and went to the Middle East to basically undermine the Administration's policies. This isn't really any different.

• Members

Different scale. WW2 killed 100 MILLION people. 10-12 million of those were civilians whose only offense was to be ethnically, religiously, morally, or developmentally not what the Nazis wanted. OBL is a very bad man, but he is in no way on the scale of a Nazi. To make him the sole focus of our efforts, when the whole strength of AQ is the fact is doesn't need him, would be stupid. AQ is a financing, training, and motivating organization. It doesn't run operations in the tradtional sense of a chain of command, etc. Decentralized, networked, it operates much more like a band fan club, or royal watchers than a military organization.

I think your figures might be a little off there ;) The accepted figure tends to be more like around 60 million dead, including about 6 million Jews (not that that makes it any more acceptable, of course!). And I don't think he should be the 'sole focus of our efforts'. But the point is, to disregard him so completely and insouciantly is an insult to the victims and their families.

• Members

It was common in communist USSR to classify any political opponents as mentally disturbed and then sending them away for treatment.

It doesn't work that way in the USA. Declaring something an illness here qualifies it for health insurance, federal aid and its own bill of rights.

Archived