RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, this is pretty stupid.

"Too many people want to buy our stuff, our backlog is out of control! Well we could make an effort to produce more, open another factory or expand the one we have...

...nah {censored}it, let's just make everything more expensive so fewer people buy it. Less effort!"

• Members

If anything, maybe the the orders within the USA will drop off a bit, but the way the dollar exchange rate is right with certain countries, overseas markets will continue to order 4003's and other RIC instruments by boat loads.

I bet that's it. Internationally the price would stay relatively the same due to the weak dollar.

• Members

I bet that's it. Internationally the price would stay relatively the same due to the weak dollar.

I already addressed this: Stores here can't get them. Stores in the US aren't allowed to sell them abroad. To buy a Ric here you need to go on ebay or similar. As such higher prices in the us will mean higher prices in th EU.

• Members

A Conklin GT7 came to me this year for $500.

A 4003 was on my future purchase list. A reasonable increase would have been OK.... but those increases knocked me off the wagon. Much as I would enjoy owning & playing a 4003, I can't see ANY circumstance (beside a Lotto win) under which I'd now consider ordering one.

• Members

By the way, I occasionally hop on the Ric forums for fun. I did again tonight. Always a good laugh.

Have you ever visited the Ric newsgroup, alt.guitar.rickenbacker? It's absolutely insane, and even the CEO John Hall posts there from time to time. There are guys who scour the internet classifieds and eBay specifically looking for Rickenbacker copies to report. I love Rickenbacker instruments, but they've got a huge wacko fan base.

• Members

A 4003
was
on my future purchase list. A reasonable increase would have been OK.... but those increases knocked me off the wagon. Much as I would enjoy owning & playing a 4003, I can't see ANY circumstance (beside a Lotto win) under which I'd now consider ordering one.

Same here. I would've liked owning a Ric at some point in the future, but 1500 euro? They're special, sure, but not that special, and now the only way I'd get one is used.

• Members

They won't care. They sell everything they make and I have the impression that their constituents in their forum are made of money. Except for me.

It's sad that they are not committed to investing in the next generation of musicians. EB hosts those punk rock festivals and Fender gives {censored} away to many young players.

• Members

It's sad that they are not committed to investing in the next generation of musicians. EB hosts those punk rock festivals and Fender gives {censored} away to many young players.

Yup. I think they realized that their basses aren't that versatile, so the younger players that need an axe that sounds good for anything aren't going to want to play a Ric. They're going after the 35+ crowd that has more dollarz than centz, and thinks Chris Squire is god.

C7

• Members

While I agree that some of the people who love Rics are a little obsessed but you will find that with the likes of the Gibson and Fender fans also.

Before I got my Ric I had no Idea of the Mystique behind them. I never saw one hanging in a music store untill november of 2000 so I never really thought about them. the Mystique is odd since they dont stay stocked in stores for very long nor is there much of an advertising campaign.

I was remembering my early days as a kid seeing a Ric for the first time when I saw one in a store. I wasnt even really playing at the time. I played the used one in the store and ordered a newone on the spot. I was 36 at the time. as soon as I ordered it I joined this forum and the Ric resourse page shortly thereafter.

thats when I found out about the "Special club"

I love the Ric I have and do not need another...........

• Members
While I agree that some of the people who love Rics are a little obsessed but you will find that with the likes of the Gibson and Fender fans also.

You sure do. I just don't understand the complete loyality to one maker of instruments, and close mindedness to anything different. Mystique is for collectors, nothing more. This is kind of the same as the whole 'Leo was right' crap too. I wish more people would go out of their way to play more different basses, including Ric's, and broaden their bass horizons a bit. There are more great and affordable basses than ever before right now, and most are not Ric's, Fender's or Gibby's. A little change is good for the soul.:cool:

• Members

Maybe they'll start an import series too, open a new factory in Mexico or Korea or something. Introduce new models with simpler finishes, maybe even set-necks instead of thru-body, but same/similar design and electronics. I'd snatch one of those up in a heartbeat. That, coupled with the new price increase, seems like it would really be the most profitable business move for them.

• Members
Maybe they'll start an import series too, open a new factory in Mexico or Korea or something. Introduce new models with simpler finishes, maybe even set-necks instead of thru-body, but same/similar design and electronics. I'd snatch one of those up in a heartbeat. That, coupled with the new price increase, seems like it would really be the most profitable business move for them.

God I would love that. I'd go park myself on their forum and watch the purists freak the {censored} out. :D
C7

• Members

I'd be very surprised in Ric ever moves off-shore. You're right---the purists would howl in protest. I think Rickenbacker and Martin are the last two major US makers who don't offer a budget import line.

Having said that, I'd pay money for some Korean to make me another 4003S/8, and the purists can pound sand. :D

• Members
You sure do. I just don't understand the complete loyality to one maker of instruments, and close mindedness to anything different. Mystique is for collectors, nothing more. This is kind of the same as the whole 'Leo was right' crap too. I wish more people would go out of their way to play more different basses, including Ric's, and broaden their bass horizons a bit. There are more great and affordable basses than ever before right now, and most are not Ric's, Fender's or Gibby's. A little change is good for the soul.
:cool:

If you think Musicians are closed minded about certain brands you should visit a Smith and Wesson gun board. if it aint S&W it doesnt exist or is worthless scrap metal

now I agree there is nothing like my Model 29 .44 magnum but I also have a few Taurus handguns which really flips out the S&W folks

• Moderators

Yup. I think they realized that their basses aren't that versatile, so the younger players that need an axe that sounds good for anything aren't going to want to play a Ric. They're going after the 35+ crowd that has more dollarz than centz, and thinks Chris Squire is god.

C7

Oh, bull{censored}.

I've played jazz, country, funk, rock and pop with my Rics, and never once has a lack of versatility been a problem. Rics sound good for anything.

• Members

Oh, bull{censored}.

I've played jazz, country, funk, rock and pop with my Rics, and never once has a lack of versatility been a problem. Rics sound good for anything.

I wasnt even going to reply to that. My Ric was the only bass I had/wanted to have for nearly 5 years before I bought a beater. I played Country, Rock and metal on it:bor:

• Members

Oh, bull{censored}.

Yeah I agree with this. The guy that owned it before me played reggae/dub to judge from the stickers on the case and I've since used it for just about whatever. And in my case it's just the one with stock pickups. C7, while a funny guy, seems never to have grasped the concept of people having different tastes. Or at least that anyone's taste, if it differs from his, can be anything but wrong. His tastes are always stated as objective facts.

Archived