RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least they're honest about it.

But yeah, seriously time to relocate their factory. There's so much space in America, what's the big problem?

Well moving the factory will, at the very least, also involve moving the experienced workers. Some may not want to move. It can get complicated.

• Members

Well moving the factory will, at the very least, also involve moving the experienced workers. Some may not want to move. It can get complicated.

The problem is that RIC is located in what evolved into one of the most expensive area of the USA. When it first got set up there, it was a growing promising, reasonably priced area. Now prices are completely out of control in Southern California. It is not that easy to find the skill of the workers needed to make these guitars at a wage that people can comfortably live there. Many skilled luthiers that once lived in SoCal, now live in the states of Oregon or Washington.

Even if RIC were to move the factory 25 miles away from where it is located now, quite a few of the workers may have difficulty getting to work.

• Members

Wow, that is quite a price hike. Oh well, we have (relatively) free market economy here in the United States and they can charge whatever the heck they want. If they can get two grand for a 4003, more power to them. As has been said before, there are plenty of Rickenbacker enthusiasts willing to pay high price tags.

I love the 4001/4003 basses, but they've never had a five string model that I've really cared for. I was strongly considering purchasing one about five years ago, and at that time I'd had a price of $950 shipped quoted to me. Those days are long gone!

• Members

The problem is that RIC is located in what evolved into one of the most expensive area of the USA. When it first got set up there, it was a growing promising, reasonably priced area. Now prices are completely out of control in Southern California. It is not that easy to find the skill of the workers needed to make these guitars at a wage that people can comfortably live there. Many skilled luthiers that once lived in SoCal, now live in the states of Oregon or Washington.

Even if RIC were to move the factory 25 miles away from where it is located now, quite a few of the workers may have difficulty getting to work.

They could move the factory. There are skilled luthiers and techs everywhere and spaces for rent everywhere. There would be a lag with production, but since they can't keep up now anyway it's not a big deal. It wouldn't be easy but they could. I doubt 25 miles would make a difference in Cali..everyone commutes. It would definitely take some planning and good management but it could be done. Although with their current situation they might need to bring in outside management to handle the move:D:poke:

Dan

• Members

They could move the factory. There are skilled luthiers and techs everywhere and spaces for rent everywhere. There would be a lag with production, but since they can't keep up now anyway it's not a big deal. It wouldn't be easy but they could. I doubt 25 miles would make a difference in Cali..everyone commutes. It would definitely take some planning and good management but it could be done. Although with their current situation they might need to bring in outside management to handle the move:D:poke:

Dan

+1. If they were able to increase production by 50% over the course of a year, it would make it worth the move. Something tells me that they're fine with having a backlog and artificially valuing their product instead of filling orders.

It just baffles me that they could be selling 3 times the number of instruments than they do, but they're not doing anything to do it. So instead of pricing their basses commensurate to what they're actually worth, they're choking off the supply to increase demand, and then raising their prices to curb further demand, while still hitting their bottom line. Why on earth should the bass buying public choose Rickenbacker over basses that are the same quality, same price, but are readily available? I think Ric's are a {censored}ing joke.

C7

• Members

Do tell. The joke must be on me.
:D

its the same mentality that the People who want a Les Paul and cant afford one have.

I cant afford it so it must be crap! QC issues, over hyped guitars

:blah::cry::rolleyes:

I am glad I got mine when I did. I wouldnt want to have the Bass of my dreams be out of reach either but thats no reason to slam the business practices or the quality of a proven leader in the industry

• Members

its the same mentality that the People who want a Les Paul and cant afford one have.

I cant afford it so it must be crap! QC issues, over hyped guitars

:blah::cry::rolleyes:

I am glad I got mine when I did. I wouldnt want to have the Bass of my dreams be out of reach either but thats no reason to slam the business practices or the quality of a proven leader in the industry

The same mentality exists among people who want to justify to themselves overpaying for an particular product.

This is a "$2000 bass", it is the best evar!!

• Members
The same mentality exists among people who want to justify to themselves overpaying for an particular product.

+1. I've played several Rics and I never thought they lived up to the hype. But hey, it's a bass that apparently makes the owner way cooler than other bass players, so I suppose it's worth paying too much for.:idea:
C7

• Members

thats true too

it is not the price of the equipment that makes a good player.....its the talent

My Ric doesnt make me play any better than the $160 SX I have.

but the Ric is a much better feeling instrument to me

Archived