RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Members

The big stores are quoting almost two Gs for a 4003 now :eek:

Here's the press release from RIC.

As of today, the Rickenbacker product range has been adjusted in an attempt to allow further production increases to offset the growing, large order backlog.

Specifically:

- Pickup and vibrato options have been eliminated.

- Three pickup guitars have been dropped, except for vintage type and other select models.

- The model 350/12V63 has cycled out of the V Series as part of regular rotation within that range.

- Fretless basses have been placed on hiatus.

- The models 650S and 650D have been cut due to elimination of the oil finish process and in anticipation of updated models.

Effective today is a new price list which includes a significant increase. This directly reflects higher costs for oil-based products (such as the finish and plastic goods), steel parts, and imported components adversely affected by exchange rates (such as keywinds).

The price increase is also intended to help create a better balance between demand and capacity, ultimately allowing for faster deliveries, dealer store inventory, new designs, and current product enhancements.

Bound body and neck, full inlay, wired for stereo

$2159

4004Cii

"Cheyenne II", super contoured Maple and Walnut body, Bubinga fingerboard, gold parts, translucent

colors

$2729

4004L

"Laredo", super contoured hardwood body, Bubinga fingerboard, chrome parts

$2459

"New designs". Who are they kidding? :lol:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd be mad if I ever wanted to buy one. Sucks for everyone else though.

+1. In fact, this makes me even less interested in doing business with them.

Maybe they will reinvest the profits from the price increase to increase production capacity - we sure as {censored} know they won't be spending it on R&D.

Out of curiosity, is Rickenbacker a family run company?

• Members

+1. In fact, this makes me want even less interested in doing business with them.

Maybe they will reinvest the profits from the price increase to increase production capacity - we sure as {censored} know they won't be spending it on R&D.

Out of curiosity, is Rickenbacker a family run company?

This is what RIC should've done vice trimming their line (which is lean already). You don't sacrifice quality to boost quantity.

Build a factory somewhere else.

• Members

This is what RIC should've done vice trimming their line (which is lean already). You don't sacrifice quality to boost quantity.

Build a factory somewhere else.

I am not a ric fan, but it does seem like they have had issues with production for some time. Has this always been the case or has demand for their products seen a marked increase recently?

• Members

I am not a ric fan, but it does seem like they have had issues with production for some time. Has this always been the case or has demand for their products seen a marked increase recently?

Their factory is in the middle of a very expensive region in California. Chances are they won't be buying their neighbors out to make more floor space for machinery. Limited space, big backlogs going all the way to 2006 and the perceived rarity of their line (because of the backlog :mad:) probably finally caught up with them. They really need to just move to another place or open a satellite factory.

• Members

RIC is a family owned and operated business. RIC is doing what they can to bring down the backorder to a reasonable time frame.

Anyone who doesn't think a 4003 is worth what it is going for now, just doesn't see the quality that is put into one. I really doubt that the orders for 4003 basses will slow down by much. If anything, maybe the the orders within the USA will drop off a bit, but the way the dollar exchange rate is right with certain countries, overseas markets will continue to order 4003's and other RIC instruments by boat loads.

Someday the RIC factory will have to move. Not only just to meet the demands of orders, but also the area that RIC is in is changing from industrial to residential (condos).

• Members

RIC is a family owned and operated business. RIC is doing what they can to bring down the backorder to a reasonable time frame.

Anyone who doesn't think a 4003 is worth what it is going for now, just doesn't see the quality that is put into one. I really doubt that the orders for 4003 basses will slow down by much. If anything, maybe the the orders within the USA will drop off a bit, but the way the dollar exchange rate is right with certain countries, overseas markets will continue to order 4003's and other RIC instruments by boat loads.

I've had two go through my hands this year (both NIB) and I can appreciate the $1500 price of admission. The 4003 really is a nicely made bass with it's own unergonomic quirks that endear it to folks like me who like the look. But @ $2Gs they should offer a bit more than stock configuration. At least upgrade the hardshell case :freak:

• Members

Anyone who doesn't think a 4003 is worth what it is going for now, just doesn't see the quality that is put into one.

There is quality in just about any bass these days, and Ric's are nice no doubt. Whether they're comparatively 2K nice is debatable. There are much higher quality basses out there for less, and worse out there for more, but 2 grand is a LOT of money for an off the shelf factory bass. I'm just talking about build quality here, not tone, mystique or anything else. I haven't seen 2 thousand dollars worth of quality in any Ric I've picked up, especially when put in comparison to other much less expensive basses. Which BTW, is a bonus of living during a great era for bass builders.

• Members

Someday the RIC factory will have to move. Not only just to meet the demands of orders, but also the area that RIC is in is changing from industrial to residential (condos).

Fanboi.

First off: The overseas market aren't going to go up by much if A: no stores in Europe can get any of Rickenbacker's instruments. And B: No american stores are allowed to sell them abroad.

Secondly: While I dearly love my Ric a realistic pricing around here is ,in general, about twice the American price. This makes it bloody expensive here too even if anyone could get them.

Third: Like was said by others: There's no such thing (imo) as a factory made $2000, let alone $4000, bass.

• Moderators

A Ric is a nice bass. Is build quality any better than a stock G&L or a stock Stingray? Nope. I've never cared for the arrogance Ric marketing seems to spit. The price increase is really a means of attempting to create less demand, less back orders and yet maintain the same bottom line on the P&L.This increase won't or shouldn't stop an American from getting a Ric if they've always desired one.

Archived