RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Members

Which ever way you look at it, doesn't change what the demand has done to the prices.

Really, tell me what's in a USA made Lakland that makes it command the prices that it does. I'm not knocking them. I think they are great basses. But what justifies the price?

The USA Laklands are better overall basses than Ric's IMO. Even the Skylines are on par with Ric's in my opinion.

The fit and finish on the USA models is superior in just about every way from fret dressing to the finish.

Once again I love my Ric. Nothing sounds or feels like a Ric. It's a great bass even through it's flaws it is a great bass. You are right about the price gouging and that Ric should get in on it..this is why I said it's a good business decision.

Oh and BTW- What's that Ric in your sig? That thing is sexy as hell!

Dan

Dan

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a difference between value as an investment and value as an instrument. Their value as an instrument has now been far exceeded by their value as a collectible piece.

Amen.

The 2K mark is also the beginning point of the custom bass builders as well. I almost bought a custom ordered Peavey Cirrus for less than these Ric prices and that bass exceeded Ric standards in every way I can think of. I find nothing wrong with Ric uping the price, not wanting to grow or move production etc. I also don't put any value on statements like 'they just took instruments out of the hands of those without a lot of money' either, it's business. Still, arguing that the quality of these instruments is what makes them worth their asking price is something only blind fan's or people who have never seen and played a truly high quality bass would say. Stating that the market only is what is setting the price is right on. As long as people will pay the money, they should charge it, and they do. Can't fault Ric at all for that, but anyone willing to pay two large for a 4003 had better know what they're getting and why.

• Members

The USA Laklands are better overall basses than Ric's IMO. Even the Skylines are on par with Ric's in my opinion.

The fit and finish on the USA models is superior in just about every way from fret dressing to the finish.

Once again I love my Ric. Nothing sounds or feels like a Ric. It's a great bass even through it's flaws it is a great bass. You are right about the price gouging and that Ric should get in on it..this is why I said it's a good business decision.

Dan

Dan

I won't dispute your opinion on why you feel a Lakland is worth what it is. Now with that being, you really cannot dispute what some see in Ricks as as to why they are worth what they are.

The worst part of it all to me and I will agree with Kindness, to some degree as that many of these Ricks just go into collections. They never get played live for audiences to enjoy. They are put in closets, become case queens and just get looked at every so often. I do know a couple of serious collector that do gig with their Ricks however, even their most prized ones.

The Rick that you see when you click on the link in my sig is a 75th Anniversary 4003 DCM on the start page of my website. It's the same 4003 that's in my avatar.

• Members

But if people are willing to pay it, then whatever.

Dan

Yeah, that's the problem. My wife and I went to an ice cream shop a coupe of years ago, a well known name brand. $5 for a tiny little cup of ice cream. Barely a whole scoop, no cone. Why are they getting away with selling so little for so much? Because people are paying for it.

• Moderators

Dan

Dan

The Lakland list prices are all over $3K. Most are $4K or better. They'd damned well better be better basses. Additionally, they're bolt-ons, from what I can see. Whether or not one thinks that neck-through is superior, it is a more expensive technique.

• Moderators
you really cannot dispute what some see in Ricks as as to why they are worth what they are.

Right, because those people don't understand how basses are constructed, setup and maintained. :idea:

No one disputes that Rics are in the upper tier of production basses, but the players market values instruments of that quality at or near 1k. This price increase makes buying a Ric as a players instrument a poor decision.

• Members

Right, because those people don't understand how basses are constructed, setup and maintained.
:idea:

No one disputes that Rics are in the upper tier of production basses, but the players market values instruments of that quality at or near 1k. This price increase makes buying a Ric as a players instrument a poor decision.

Yup. I'm glad I got mine two years ago. Even then the price seemed slightly insane, but what can I say... the thing spoke to me... but since then it's gone up by 33% or so around here... Can only speculate what this will do to the prices here...

• Members

Isn't a bolt on neck actually slightly more complicated to actually get right?

Not when the milling is done on a CNC machine. I'd think the neck on a neck-through design is more expensive simply because the neck blank is more expensive. Good quality, void and knot free instrument-grade wood ain't cheap.

• Moderators

LOL That's pretty funny. Come to the Rick Resource forum and say that. Many there, including two of the best luthiers in the world would like a laugh!!

Their own customer service department is very open about it if you call and talk to them. They simply are decades behind in these areas. This is hardly a matter of opinion.

• Members

Their own customer service department is very open about it if you call and talk to them. They simply are decades behind in these areas. Spend some time in a shop doing this work and then form an opinion that matters.

I talk to the guys in their dept.

The opinion that matters is the opinion of the people that appreciate Ricks.

Gotcha before you edited!!

• Members

Joey,

the pictures in the link to your site are great.

nice to put a face to some the names from the other site. seeing Paul, Jingle Jangle explains a lot! lol

Thanks!!

Many, including those not are not into Ricks can learn A LOT from Paul W (jingle_jangle). Not only is he an amazingly skilled craftsman/luthier with tons of knowledge and info, he's a pretty cool guy also.

• Members

LOL That's pretty funny. Come to the Rick Resource forum and say that. Many there, including two of the best luthiers in the world would like a laugh!!

Pete Hanewinckel frequents the Ric forums? Seriously, who decides who the best luthiers in the world are? Was there a poll that I didn't know about?:D

But yeah the Ric's aren't constructed any better than a Musicman, G&L, or Warwick. They are all well made basses but there is no obvious reason why a Ric is worth 2 grand. A musicman actually plays better for me and I think the quality is as good if not better. Having owned both now and have the Ric set up perfectly I can honestly say that.

There are a lot of things about the Ric that I don't like, but I love the way they sound and feel. A Ric is like the ugly/fat girl who dresses nice and gives great BJ's. Sure she has her flaws but there's something special about her:D.

Dan

Archived