RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rics are very good quality hand made American basses. That alone puts them in a very select group, and demands a big price tag. Add to that the fact that they have a unique feel & sound unlike anything else and you begin to see justification for an elevated price. Also, they are not concerned about production quantity, so they don't have to price them to sell to the general masses. There are plenty of Ric enthusiasts out there who will pay any amount they ask.

• Moderators

Anyone who doesn't think a 4003 is worth what it is going for now, just doesn't see the quality that is put into one.

Or does see the quality, understands the market equivalents and isn't a deluded fanboi! Rics are great instruments whose design, quality and support put them on par with other instruments in the $900-$1,200 range. (US Fender, MusicMan, Lakland Skyline, etc.) Scarcity alone makes them worth slightly more. Nothing makes them worth what they will now sell for.

• Members

RIC is a family owned and operated business. RIC is doing what they can to bring down the backorder to a reasonable time frame.

Anyone who doesn't think a 4003 is worth what it is going for now, just doesn't see the quality that is put into one. I really doubt that the orders for 4003 basses will slow down by much. If anything, maybe the the orders within the USA will drop off a bit, but the way the dollar exchange rate is right with certain countries, overseas markets will continue to order 4003's and other RIC instruments by boat loads.

Someday the RIC factory will have to move. Not only just to meet the demands of orders, but also the area that RIC is in is changing from industrial to residential (condos).

A Ric is not on par with other 2K basses, I'm sorry. I absolutely love mine but they can't compete. When they were selling for 1200.00 they were worth it, and even at 1500.00 it was worth it. for 2 grand they need to build their instruments better and with better configurations.

I think EB makes a better more versatile bass. It isn't a Ric, but it's a better bass from fit to finish and a design aspect.

You want an example? OK well how about the finish on my Blue Ric is bubbling up around the bridge a little bit. There are traces of glue on the neck as well as other little things throughout the bass. IT's nitpicky for sure...but if I'm paying two grand..there is no way that would stand for me.

Dan

• Members

Fanboi?...that's Fanboy to you guys and I'll take that as a compliment rather than an insult. :cool:

Speaking of costs, consider these facts:

Solder increased 116% in the last 15 months alone.

Case costs have risen 20% in the last 12 months.

Copper has almost doubled since 2005, affecting brass components as well.

The price of zinc is up about 59% this year although large quantities of Chinese zinc is helping to keep the price down.

I don't have to tell anyone what's happened with oil, which directly affects cost of the coatings and plastic we use.

The good news is that quality Maple has held very solid, although charactered premium Maple has become overly expensive, mainly through the manipulation of specialty wood brokers.

With these facts in consideration, I'm sure RIC is not the only guitar manufacturer hit with these costs. Wait for the rest to follow suit, then tell what you think about the RIC price increases.

• Members
Fanboi?...that's Fanboy to you guys and I'll take that as a compliment rather than an insult.
:cool:

With these facts in consideration, I'm sure RIC is not the only guitar manufacturer hit with these costs. Wait for the rest to follow suit, then tell what you think about the RIC price increases.

Those costs are enough to raise the cost of each bass 300 bucks? You are kidding yourself. They are making a good business decision though I guess. It might slow the demand, whilst increasing their profit.

• Members

Those costs are enough to raise the cost of each bass 300 bucks? You are kidding yourself. They are making a good business decision though I guess. It might slow the demand, whilst increasing their profit.

Dan, I know it seems crazy. Don't think my eyes didn't pop out of my head when I saw the prices jump like that.

I've spoken to a few serious guitar collectors over the past few days, these people seem to think that RIC guitars are worth even more....so go figure?? This also brings on the price increases.

My personal view on this is, I think that the last time RIC increased their prices it should have a bit (not a lot) more than they did and not quite so much this time. However there's nothing anyone can do about it and it ain't worth complaining about.

I'd been telling people on this forum with the user name bassmaniac, to buy Ricks for the past six and a half years because I saw this all coming. No one believed me, not even the other Rick enthusiasts here.

• Members

Originally Posted by Posted by John Hall on another forum:

Speaking of costs, consider these facts:

Solder increased 116% in the last 15 months alone.

Case costs have risen 20% in the last 12 months.

Copper has almost doubled since 2005, affecting brass components as well.

The price of zinc is up about 59% this year although large quantities of Chinese zinc is helping to keep the price down.

I don't have to tell anyone what's happened with oil, which directly affects cost of the coatings and plastic we use.

The good news is that quality Maple has held very solid, although charactered premium Maple has become overly expensive, mainly through the manipulation of specialty wood brokers

If they increased their production volume / introduced easier to build designs (at less than 4004 prices) the price increase for raw materials will be spread out more.

WTH, they sell what they build so I guess he is comfy with that. It sucks for broke, young folks who want a RIC though.

• Members
Dan, I know it seems crazy. Don't think my eyes didn't pop out of my head when I saw the prices jump like that.

I've spoken to a few serious guitar collectors over the past few days, these people seem to think that RIC guitars are worth even more....so go figure?? This also brings on the price increases.

My personal view on this is, I think that the last time RIC increased their prices it should have a bit (not a lot) more than they did and not quite so much this time. However there's nothing anyone can do about it and it ain't worth complaining about.

I'd been telling people on this forum with the user name bassmaniac, to buy Ricks for the past six and a half years because I saw this all coming. No one believed me, not even the other Rick enthusiasts here.

Believe me I love my Ric..it's my favorite bass. I can't see why anyone would think a Ric is worth 2 grand. It's not..but then again I'm glad I got mine before all this because the prices aren't going to go down. I wonder what this will do to the used prices on Ric's now. Can you say 1800.00 used??:eek:

But like I said, this is a good business decision on their part, one that I knew was coming. They can't handle the current demand, they don't want to grow larger to meet production demand, so they increase prices which slows demand, or puts the basses out of reach of some people, and it creates a larger profit marging for doing nothing. Good business..pure and simple. That is until their popularity wanes.

Dan

• Members

If you think about what is going on, on ebay and what some dealers are charging for a new Rick, everybody has been making much more money on them than RIC. Time for the maker to get in on that. There are some sellers on ebay really gouging people, waiting for suckers to give in and buy them, which does happen, which makes it bad for everyone else. But from what I understand, some of these gougers supplies are gonna dry up very soon.

• Moderators

I've spoken to a few serious guitar collectors over the past few days, these people seem to think that RIC guitars are worth even more....so go figure??

There is a difference between value as an investment and value as an instrument. Their value as an instrument has now been far exceeded by their value as a collectible piece.

• Members

There is a difference between value as an investment and value as an instrument. Their value as an instrument has now been far exceeded by their value as a collectible piece.

Which ever way you look at it, doesn't change what the demand has done to the prices.

Really, tell me what's in a USA made Lakland that makes it command the prices that it does. I'm not knocking them. I think they are great basses. But what justifies the price?

Archived