RIC price increase.

Undead Sycip

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

There comes a point when you start BS'ing yourself...this is that point. You brought neck through into the picture as a point of justifying a higher value. When we contradict you, you come back with something else. It's simple. Ric wants to make more money the basses they already make without changing a {censored}ingthing. WHICH I AM COOL WITH! As long as they grab a pair of balls and don't try and pin it on solder or brass or oil or whatever. They want more cash...good for them. Don't try and pretend you are in the 2K range for basses because of your build quality..because you aren't.

Oh and by the way..Have I mentioned how much I love my Ric? I really do. It's an amazing bass.

And the Cort A5 is neckthrough..wording be damned it is neck through as I played one in person and was impressed as all hell. Playability and ergonomics beat the Ric to all {censored}ing hell..but still it wasn't a Ric and didn't play or sound like a Ric.

Dan

No BS at all. I brought it up because it is a more expensive technique. No one has contradicted that. What has been done is that it's been pointed out that other companies do it for less. Who said otherwise? I also haven't justified the higher price. I've simply pointed out things that might be used to do so. So far, I've pointed out neck-through construction and that they're made in America. The high quality of the finishes is another. Build quality is yet another, although several people have claimed that Ric's build quality isn't what it's cracked up to be. Whether or not any of that justifies the price is a personal decision. For instance, Made in America is a big thing for some folks, but means nothing to someone else. In general, though, it makes an item more expensive.

• Moderators

$400 buys a nice neck-thru ESP LTD. Made in Korea, but still very nice. Even Rondo has had neck-thrus for $225. The whole neck-thru thing is kinda unimportant compared to many other things.

It all depends on what is important to the buyer. For some people, the fact that it says Rickenbacker is all that matters.

• Moderators
It all depends on what is important to the buyer. For some people, the fact that it says Rickenbacker is all that matters.

Yep. That's why I stated earlier that an American that really wants a Rickenbacker will still buy one, even if it is overpriced. I just wish they would do the G&L thing and have a Korean model, but that mustn't be in their business model.

• Members

No BS at all. I brought it up because it is a more expensive technique. No one has contradicted that. What has been done is that it's been pointed out that other companies do it for less. Who said otherwise? I also haven't justified the higher price. I've simply pointed out things that might be used to do so. So far, I've pointed out neck-through construction and that they're made in America. The high quality of the finishes is another. Build quality is yet another, although several people have claimed that Ric's build quality isn't what it's cracked up to be. Whether or not any of that justifies the price is a personal decision. For instance, Made in America is a big thing for some folks, but means nothing to someone else. In general, though, it makes an item more expensive.

Neck through isn't more expensive as far as I know. It takes more time but it isn't necessarily more expensive. But it seems as though they have been doing neck through basses forever so that can't really justify any kind of price increase at all.

As far as their finishes being quality...I beg to differ. Their finishes are known to be thin and my bass in paricular is finished horribly around the bridge..it feels like they cut corners with the finish IMO. And their build quality isn't any better than any bass mentioned here. What's so great in your opinion about the build quality that makes it any different from anyone else's?

Dan

• Members

Neck through isn't more expensive as far as I know. It takes more time but it isn't necessarily more expensive. But it seems as though they have been doing neck through basses forever so that can't really justify any kind of price increase at all.

As far as their finishes being quality...I beg to differ. Their finishes are known to be thin and my bass in paricular is finished horribly around the bridge..it feels like they cut corners with the finish IMO. And their build quality isn't any better than any bass mentioned here. What's so great in your opinion about the build quality that makes it any different from anyone else's?

Dan

Y'know I always figured RIC's had good finishes. I've seen them in stores from a few feet away but never held or played one. :idk:

It doesn't surprise me that their quality control has slackened. It seems to have happened to one or two of the big names. Gibson for example, I've seen some terrible crap bare their name recently. They get comfortable behind their name and reputation of past glory.

As has been said before, if Rickenbacker tightened up ship and followed along the lines of Lakland and G&L and had an offshore production too then they would be able to fill orders quicker and better.

Some of the people who are buying RICs probably don't want to pay that much for them, they want the vibe and look for less of the price. Here's where the MIK or even MIJ? comes in. Some of the other peeps want their RIC to be 100% made in the you ess of ay! So give 'em that.

I dunno, what can I say. I don't play RIC's and primarily play MIJ basses. :idk:

• Members

It doesn't surprise me that their quality control has slackened. It seems to have happened to one or two of the big names. Gibson for example, I've seen some terrible crap bare their name recently. They get comfortable behind their name and reputation of past glory.

I think there's some valid points in this thread but Ric is nowhere near in the decline as Gibson is.

People pay over $2K for a CNCed Jazz or Precision copy so what do I know about quality?

• Members

As has been said before, if Rickenbacker tightened up ship and followed along the lines of Lakland and G&L and had an offshore production too then they would be able to fill orders quicker and better.

Some of the people who are buying RICs probably don't want to pay that much for them, they want the vibe and look for less of the price. Here's where the MIK or even MIJ? comes in. Some of the other peeps want their RIC to be 100% made in the you ess of ay! So give 'em that.

That's not what Ric is about and is the one thing I respect the most about Rickenbacker. A bass with Ric on it's headstock is a known commodity the world over, and they all were built in the same place. It's too bad for those that can't afford one, but import lines just for the sake of selling cheaper basses only dilutes what Ric views themselves as. I love that at least one manufacturer still holds to their beliefs about their product, and is not willing to sell out production just because it's cheaper. That is going to keep Ric's worth a lot more as well down the road. If you want a Ric, you get the real thing or nothing, and that's the way it should be for all the bass builders.

• Members

I keep clicking on this thread. It is the law of supply and demand. What really gets me is making the rickenbacker so exclusive. I mean, if I'm a teenager, there's no way in hell I'm gonna raise 1900 bucks to get the tone from a ric.

I wouldn't be so mad if the copies were readily available. Anyone can go out and find a j or p copy, so those tones are pretty easy to achieve. Rics sound like, well, rics. This price increase, and the inability to find a cheap alternative, make it almost impossible for anyone who isn't a trust fund baby or an old skeever with a lot of money to own one.

Hats off to all you folks who bought them before the price went off. If I ever decide I need one in my arsenal, I'm going to wait until a friend who speaks japanese (I have several) goes there, and get them to buy me one. No way I'm shelling out $2000 for an actual one.

• Members

I wouldn't be so mad if the copies were readily available. Anyone can go out and find a j or p copy, so those tones are pretty easy to achieve. Rics sound like, well, rics. This price increase, and the inability to find a cheap alternative, make it almost impossible for anyone who isn't a trust fund baby or an old skeever with a lot of money to own one.

You sound like you feel you're entitled to have a copy bass because you can't afford a Ric. You're not, and every player's personal financial situation is irrelevent in this discussion. Ric does not allow their instruments to be copied, and rightfully so. You've said it yourself, Ric's sound like Ric's, and there are few alternatives to find that sound. That is exactly how a product manufacturer should act, protect what's their's and not allow others to rip off their designs and under sell them. You getting mad at the cost and at Ric has nothing to do with anything. Now, I still think Ric's are over valued, but I do agree with their protection of what's theirs, and their refusal to let others steal pieces of their pie. Save up some more gig money and get one someday, but don't complain about Rickenbacker because you are not able to afford one right now.

• Members
Y'know I always figured RIC's had good finishes. I've seen them in stores from a few feet away but never held or played one.
:idk:

I dunno, what can I say. I don't play RIC's and primarily play MIJ basses.
:idk:

Their finishes look good from a few feet away..and even up close they look good but on my bass you can tell it's a pretty shoddy job by the bridge. When you start charging two grand I start looking for any imperfection..because there should not be any. Based on my experience with my bass, they don't fall into the 2K catagory based on their build quality.
This isn't to say their QC isn't good or the bass isn't an excellent piece of gear, because it most certainly is. This thread isn't about how Ric's quality is lesser or in the decline. They are great basses and I love mine to death, but 2 grand is steep on this bass IMO based on the versatility, quality, and in all the general areas like ease of adjustability or design characteristicts.

Dan

• Members

You sound like you feel you're entitled to have a copy bass because you can't afford a Ric. You're not, and every player's personal financial situation is irrelevent in this discussion. Ric does not allow their instruments to be copied, and rightfully so. You've said it yourself, Ric's sound like Ric's, and there are few alternatives to find that sound. That is exactly how a product manufacturer should act, protect what's their's and not allow others to rip off their designs and under sell them. You getting mad at the cost and at Ric has nothing to do with anything. Now, I still think Ric's are over valued, but I do agree with their protection of what's theirs, and their refusal to let others steal pieces of their pie. Save up some more gig money and get one someday, but don't complain about Rickenbacker because you are not able to afford one right now.

I don't want one. They don't feel good in my hands. I came really close to buying one of the $1079 rics this year because I COULD afford it, and didn't because it wouldn't get played. In theory, if I wanted one, then I'd pursue the copy route.

I understand the legal ramifications, and I just think it's bogus that old farts and trust fund babies are the only ones that can get them. Sorry, but that's what's happening now.

• Members

I don't want one. They don't feel good in my hands. I came really close to buying one of the $1079 rics this year because I COULD afford it, and didn't because it wouldn't get played. In theory, if I wanted one, then I'd pursue the copy route.

I understand the legal ramifications, and I just think it's bogus that old farts and trust fund babies are the only ones that can get them. Sorry, but that's what's happening now.

Well, that's life in all things besides basses. Everything has a price, and everyone can't always afford what they want. I'm sure it's probably just how it comes across on a forum, but don't be bitter. Ric wants their products to be genuine Rickenbackers, and they want the profits for their design. It's not fair that the ultra-rich people that employ me, who have no understanding of or appreciation for the jets they buy can get one but I can't either, but that's life. No use complaining, but we can do things to improve our own sitch.

• Members
Old farts usually have jobs, yes.
:p

Seriously, if you can afford it, more power to you. Enjoy. I just wonder why these people are deciding to buy it now and not five years ago, when rics averaged around $600?

young people have jobs too unless they are lazy. i got my ric a million years ago and the price was almost criminal. i don't personally think that they are worth anywhere near 2k but if i wanted one, just like any piece of gear, i would start saving my money and i would buy it.

• Members

Well, you
can
get a fairly good jazz tone out of them IF you

-get a fretless

-play solely with the neck pickup

-turn the tone knob down

which is basically the opposite of most rick user's preferences!

Yes yes yes yes.

Not what I do at all but what the hell.

Complete bull{censored} too imo but what the hell.

Another prime example of a person stating opinion as fact, as well, but what the hell.

C7 is not the only one that does that.

• Members

Old farts usually have jobs, yes.
:p

Seriously, if you can afford it, more power to you. Enjoy. I just wonder why these people are deciding to buy it now and not five years ago, when rics averaged around $600?

That's just an excuse, they arn't *that* expensive, i've owned one in the past...

I was 20 when I got a 4003... I sold it shortly afterward because it didn't suit me.

• Members

Ric should imo go find a nice import maker for their main line and just do custom jobs and some reserved colors for the american line. Like ESP LTD, Schecter, BC Rich, jackson, and others have done. Theirs plenty of makers who can essentially equal past Rick qaulity at great prices. Perhaps useing a std high qaulity poly finish instead of Rics other american kind and very good single truss rod like most qaulity basses use instead of the double one in american Ricks. Theyd sell more instruments this way and lotsa pros would use the imports too just as with ESP LTD, Schecter, Jackson, Ibanez etc today.

Archived