4 hour gigs and stamina

cromulent

• Members

We do 4x45min. sets with 15 min breaks, covers a lot of ground!

I stop eating two and a half hours before a gig, and hopefully that meal is not too heavy, from then on it's water untill gig time, and some coffee before hittin' the stage. In between sets I go for water and more coffee before starting.

Beer and or liquor only from the third to fourth sets because usually they are the most upbeat/fun ones with patrons intoxicated and jumping like crazy, I like to relax a bit by then and enjoy the gig myself but no more than one or two or else it may affect my performance.

We build our sets as four different mini-gigs so we can exchange their order depending on the audience, if the crowd peaks early, so do we, and then ease the end of the night. Set list building is an art and to me, the most challenging part of a long gig! The four separate lists have been working well for us so far but we always end up tweaking them any way...

Rest and healthy lifestyle are essential here as well as practing a lot so your body gets used to it, I am healthier today at 36 than I was at 22 (less abuse) that is probably part of why I sing better now then I did then.

Rod

• Members

I like to eat a big heavy, greasy meal about 30 minutes before showtime, then toss back some vinegar or cod liver oil to make me puke it all back up. Then I hit the bar and slam about 5 shots of Wild Turkey and a couple Jaegerbombs. After that, a pitcher of beer and I'm good to go.

That's how I rock! :thu:

PS I never crap before I go onstage, that danger element keeps me on edge...

• Members

We generally play 3 - 1 hour sets with a 20 minute breaks. Often, we go over a bit on our sets (not our breaks), so sometimes the last set is shorter. I have always felt that I play for free, but get paid to haul the gear!

• Members

from a medical perspective, generally muscle cramping in a basically healthy person indicates dehydration or an imbalance with the calcium/potassium chemical complex. note that i said ... basically healthy.

note that you should start hydrating 6-8 hours prior to your heavy exertion, with a mix of 2:1 water to a hydration drink like Gatorade or Powerade.

in my case, muscle cramping is a direct result of my later-onset diabetes, which is why i said basically healthy earlier. IF ... you do all these things and still have cramping then you have one of two issues - (1) you put on a show too energetic for your body. Stop that. Now. You are making the rest of us look bad. or (2) you have a metabolic malfunction - go to an endocrinologist, not a regular doctor. you may have a variety of unfortunate medical conditions which need treatment.

i used to think i was just "tough" because i didn't feel pain like most of you ... now i know it is neuropathy caused as a side effect of diabetes - it will really suck if i get an infection and they have to cut off my foot, but i waited to get diagnosed. figure it out, this life thing is FINITE.

• Members

Why would you drive 8 hours round trip for a gig? I hope it paid well. I won't drive more than an hour each way.

We have family in Atlanta and got a paid trip....usualy though no we would drive that far. . Unless it pays well.....

• Members

I like to eat a big heavy, greasy meal about 30 minutes before showtime, then toss back some vinegar or cod liver oil to make me puke it all back up. Then I hit the bar and slam about 5 shots of Wild Turkey and a couple Jaegerbombs. After that, a pitcher of beer and I'm good to go.

That's how I rock!

YES! I love it!!YOU TRULY ARE MY HERO!

• Members

Unloading at home after a 2 hour drive back and all the adrenalin has run out is the biggest PITA there is to gigging.

While I wouldn't recommend going out and getting a some just for this purpose - I'm all for using the ones I got since they're just laying around the house anyway... I'm happy to say that I've turned pre-gig and post-gig vehicle load and unload at home into a spectator sport. I simply have to yell at my two kids (ages 16 and 19) that I want the van loaded. Now I have to tell you, sometimes they object to this ... at which point I simply hand them the phone and tell them to call somebody in charge of an activity they enjoy (hockey, girlfriends, buddies, whoever....) to let them know that they won't be attending the next event. They were a little slow to understand at first, but they finally came around to understand that the extra $$$ Dad's gigs bring in are what make some of these extras possible. Although they grumble a little - my gear gets loaded and unloaded at home without me lifting a finger. When I'm real lucky and the gig is nearby - I occasionally have a child roadie or two for the load-in at the gig as well.

• Members

That's how I rock!
:thu:

Wow... and to think, I just drink Gatorade (which REALLY works well)

Stefan

coverbandbook.com

• Members

I played 4 set nights, 5-6 nights a week for 10 years straight. I had a fake ID when I was in high school and was in the house band of a biker/Marine bar all through my senior year.

4 sets was standard. Some things I learned quick...

Set 1 is warmup. Easy singing, simple and deep grooves.

Set 2 starts the blood pumping

After 2nd set break was where I'd have my first beer.

Set 3 you give it all you got till you can't give anymore.

Have another beer.

Set 4... see Set 3.

My experience exactly, doing 6 night a week road gigs for years.

When I did Oregon gigs, they were 9-2. My drummer had been in Alaska in his previous band and did 10PM to 4 AM.

• Members

We play over a four hour period but we have come up with a bit of a different set arrangement that works great for us.

Start at 10

1st set = 1 hour

2nd set = 1 hour 20 minutes

3rd set 45 minutes

I'm 44 and have played around 200 shows a year for nearly 20 years. These are sweaty, smokey rock shows with plenty of energy.

The thing that seems to effect me the most before a show is what I eat. Carbs about an hour to an hour and a half before a show work best for me. A medium bowl of pasta is my preference but even some toast or crackers will work. I work out with weights three to four days a week but I don't do any cardio. Believe it or not as I got older it seems that I had more stamina at shows when I STOPPED doing cardio on my days off.

• Members

All of our gigs are 4/45" sets. Usually 9 to 1, Friday and Saturday nights. At my age (46) I know I have to stay in fairly decent shape to make it through all four hours. I run 4 miles three days a week. I also agree with the "lot's of water and small meals" before shows. As the singer I also avoid all dairy products and greasy food the day/weekend of a show. I drink a Red Bull or RockStar on the drive to the gig - because I'm usually tired from the regular 8 to 5 - and tons of water and gatorade durring the show. We do a lot of Journey, Styx and ac/dc type tunes, so I have to stay hydrated!

• Members

Just had my first 4 hour gig and at the middle of the 3rd set I was feeling it. Legs were crampy, arms were weak and I was pooped out. Drank lots of water during the sets, so I know I wasn't dehydrated. Maybe needed more food beforehand. I was all excited and jumping around the first set, but slowly my stamina went down after that and at the 3rd set, I looked and felt like a zombie.

Any advice how to keep the stamina up while also keeping up the performance energy? I don't want to take any stuff like red bull cuz that stuff makes me super jittery while playing.

Lots of musical variety and a fair amount of instrumental sequences. I think everyone gets exhausted playing 4 hours of upbeat pop tunes. It goes a long way to slow things down a bit, and it's important to give your voice a rest especially if the sound man isn't 100% on that night, so instrumentals, solos, and jams do a good job of serving that purpose.

But, no doubt about it, four hours is a long gig and you'll probably be pretty pooped at the end of it, no matter what.

• Members

....so instrumentals, solos, and jams do a good job of serving that purpose..

They also do a good job of losing the crowd's enthusiasm. While there's a place for solos -- even extended solos -- jams and instrumentals are not a good idea for a cover-band audience. Save that for the jam-band set.

Archived