4 hour gigs and stamina

cromulent

• Members

Just had my first 4 hour gig and at the middle of the 3rd set I was feeling it. Legs were crampy, arms were weak and I was pooped out. Drank lots of water during the sets, so I know I wasn't dehydrated. Maybe needed more food beforehand. I was all excited and jumping around the first set, but slowly my stamina went down after that and at the 3rd set, I looked and felt like a zombie.

Any advice how to keep the stamina up while also keeping up the performance energy? I don't want to take any stuff like red bull cuz that stuff makes me super jittery while playing.

• Members

I recommend much less jumping around until later in the night. Pace yourself, and save the air splits for the 3rd or 4th set. :D

Seriously, though, you just have to get used to it, especially if you're taking the rock-out athletic approach. You absolutely have to eat right before a long, high-energy gig. My gigs have never been that high-energy, and I still have to be well-fed to keep alert for four hours.

• Members

Back to back nights give me the same problem sometimes. A good nights sleep is crucial but that can be hard when you get in at 4:30 AM. I like to go for a long run around my lake or a grueling mountain bike ride during the week to build up my stamina. This way I can rock full-on all night and never let up.

• Members

Corbind, where do you play?

In my neck of the woods bands are expected to play from 9:00 - 1:00. If you stop playing at 12:00 the bar will just empty out and they will stop making money. Long breaks also cause people to leave. Breaks should never be longer than 15 minutes up here in the pacific northwest.

Max

• Members

Four hour sets are pretty much standard for all the country rooms I've played in over the years. 45 minutes on, 20 off. I'm not a drinker or a jump-around kind of player, so I usually don't have a problem making it through the night. Of course, when it comes time to load out, I'm suddenly very whipped! :D

• Members

Four 45 minute sets with 20 minute breaks between is pretty much what we've always played (neatly covering any 4 hour stretch - i.e., 9:00 - 1:00, 9:30 to 1:30, etc.) I usually don't have a problem with getting through the performance unless I'm sick or something out of the ordinary like that.

I feel my most energetic when I can get set-up out of the way well prior to the start of our actual performance. Given that most of our work is on Saturday evenings, if the gig is nearby - I'll happily do setup in the morning so that I have the afternoon and early evening to myself. I absolutely LOVE gigs that I can arrive at 45 minutes before start time - freshly showered and rested from a good nap - then simply flip on the PA and instruments, tape my set lists in place, grab a cold one and table hop for awhile before starting.

• Moderators

I played 4 set nights, 5-6 nights a week for 10 years straight. I had a fake ID when I was in high school and was in the house band of a biker/Marine bar all through my senior year.

4 sets was standard. Some things I learned quick...

Set 1 is warmup. Easy singing, simple and deep grooves.

Set 2 starts the blood pumping

After 2nd set break was where I'd have my first beer.

Set 3 you give it all you got till you can't give anymore.

Have another beer.

Set 4... see Set 3.

• Members

Well we didn't really do a good job on making the set list so it ended up being 3 sets, 1st and 2nd were around 1 hour, and the 3rd was about 1.5 hours, with 15min breaks in between.

I think I just frontloaded all my "awesome" moves in the 1st set, and my legs just tired out at the end.

I think next gig (couple weeks) I will go a little crazy at the first couple songs, then chill for the rest of the set until the final song of the set, then repeat with the other 2-3 sets. Also drink the water, and have a good dinner beforehand (and poop) and maybe a nap.

• Members

I still don't get it. Most bar gig should be 3 one hour sets with long breaks in between. Four sets? No way.

I would be fricking awesome if I only had to play for 3 hours. Padding the set with enough songs to stretch 4 hours is the main reason i hate it. If I played 2 hours, people would spray paint "cephus is god" on garages across america. If I only had to play for one hour, there's be rumors that I died in a car accident so they gave a look alike plastic surgery to take my place.

I do like gigging, so I usually don't notice it until the next day. But man, my knees and ankles really hurt. I don't drink anymore when I gig because I taped the last set a few times and heard what my drunk voice sounds like. I was also told to stay away from caffeine because it's bad for your voice. If anything, my ears get tired. I never can stand listening to music in the car on the way home.

• Members

Also drink the water, and have a good dinner beforehand (and poop) and maybe a nap.

I don't eat for like 6 hours before a gig. I have had too many nights where i was belching or not feeling 100% because of eating on the way there or after sound check or whatever.

• Members

We play 3 one hour sets with 20 minute breaks. I don't like to eat before a gig, either, and I definitely like to be well rested before I show up to play. I like to have a beer and a shot before we start, and then it's all water after that. I usually don't have a problem tiring out when I'm playing, but I can't say that I look forward to loadouts.............................why does all that gear get heavier when it's in use? :D

I'll eat when I get home, have a few cocktails, and call it a night.

• Members

I like to eat before a gig, but not less than one hour before go time. Make sure you get lots of protein and drink plenty of water, after taht it's just a matter of getting your body used to your stage moves, kinda like when you start going to the gym, all those stranges motions are hard on a body that isn't expecting them....

• Members

We always play four sets...45/15 from 9:00-1:00. I like to set up in the afternoon, then go home and eat/nap/shower. I'm fairly active onstage, but I don't blow my wad in the first set, either.

It probably helps that I don't drink when playing, too. I go to the bar and get a pitcher of ice water and a glass, which keeps me going pretty good. I run out of water by the end of the 2nd set, and just get the bar to refill the pitcher. A few times I've had to refill earlier, but that's usually because my drummer stole some out of my pitcher when I wasn't looking.

• Members

Before last year I did five years straight of two to three nights a week four sets a night. I used to play six nights from 11 pm to 6 am. Music is work. It does depend a lot on what's in your set list. Too much high energy material will wear you out first set.

• Members

We do (3) 1:10 sets most Fridays and Sats. I could play all night, but now that I've attained Full Geezerhood, hauling the gear is the part that knocks me out. A recap on the good advice already posted: Rest and nutrition before, and pacing during the gig are the way to go. I'm 25 years older than our lead singer, but I'm probably the most animated person in the band. But not in a pogo, windmill, kind of way. No one wants to see a Geezer do splits and duckwalk the bar unless said Geezer is Chuck Berrry.

Finding the right moves and pacing is part of the deal.

• Members

but now that I've attained Full Geezerhood, hauling the gear is the part that knocks me out.

I work 7am to 7pm. Next wednesday I have to go straight from work to a second floor gig. 9-1. That is about 8 trips up and down the stairs plus helping whoever shows up after me.

And we are having a house full of guests on thursday. I will get not time to sleep it off. Yay! Thanksgiving!

I should try and think of someone I can ask to come out and roadie for $40.:idea:

• Members

Hauling the gear isn't too bad at load-in. I'm fresh and looking forward to playing. Hauling it all back out at the end of the night isn't something I look forward to at all, but after tons of gigs, it's all just about on autopilot.

In a perfect world, I'd show up, warm up, kick asses for 4 hours, have a few drinks and take the limo home..........................

Reality can be a cruel mistress. :D

Tired ears were mentioned and I agree. I don't listen to music on the way home.

• Members

Loading in at the start of the night falls into the ok category.

Loading out at the end of the night falls into the slight pain category.

Unloading at home after a 2 hour drive back and all the adrenalin has run out is the biggest PITA there is to gigging.

Archived