Keyboard players - why so hard to find?

jplanet

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jplanet

View Post

I have the entire set list programmed on my laptop - all the keyboard player would have to do is plug in any 88-key controller, and step on a pedal once to move to the next program. I've programmed all the splits and the sounds are what was used on the album. The studio even has 88-key controllers already, they could walk to rehearsals with one hand in their pocket and the other smoking a cigarette...I would even be happy to customize sounds to their tastes if they had some ideas...

All I can do is increase the odds by offering creative input and some pay, and flexibility - but at some point, we need someone who is interested enough in the music to make a phone call and find out what the situation is...I can't account for people who are completely oblivious to the fact that prog is a commercially viable genre, don't bother to Google us to see what kind of press we get, or assume that they will have no help with the technical aspect...

That is a HUGE selling point. You need to stress all of this to your prospects.

I hope you find someone, I dig the songs.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi

View Post

That is a HUGE selling point. You need to stress all of this to your prospects.

I hope you find someone, I dig the songs.

Thanks! My hope is that players will recognize there's some good music here!

I will update the ad to put to rest any concerns about the technical requirements...

• Members

You guys might be directly responsible for us finding a keyboard player - just heard from a Berklee grad, very enthusiastic about the music, appreciated the technical convenience I could offer as Luigi mentioned - basically all advice that has been mentioned, and the icing on the cake is, he's not a mercenary, enjoys composing prog himself, and looks forward to being in a band with creative input...

Cross fingers, and knock on wood that it works out!

• Members

I hope the person who answered your ad works out, but, if not, two things come to mind. If you can't find a keyboard player in NYC because the music won't have a venue, WHERE WILL it have a venue? If you can't find a keys person, in the long run you might possibly need to change your songwriting style and write songs that you can play and sing and that are based mainly on guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rich4Once

View Post

Your music is very impressive! I agree with others that say you should just play the keys and get a guitarist. Enough guitar players like that type of music that you shouldn't have any trouble getting someone good, especially in NYC.

Thank you for the kind words baout the music - I will definitely keep that option open!

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail

View Post

... If you can't find a keyboard player in NYC because the music won't have a venue, WHERE WILL it have a venue? ....

Lots of venues - clubs and promoters contacting me for the past two years to play shows...Some people who posted thought that maybe some keyboard players aren't aware of the demand for this genre - prog is actually becoming quite mainstream again; just look at the bands headlining the High Voltage festival (ELP, Marillion), and how popular Muse, Opeth and Dream Theater are...And Trans-Siberian Orchestra are the highest-grossing concert act in the country.

• Members

View Post

Thanks, man, hope you continue to enjoy it!

Keyboard naysayers take note - this music really is marketable! smile.gif

I'm a bar band guitar player that couldn't do this stuff on my best day, but I'm on my second listen, and I'm really digging it! Right now I'm burning it to a disk so I can listen in the car later! love.gif

• Members

It is very hard to play keyboards. If you make a mistake it is noticeable. You have to be on your game all the time. Not only that, I can't even get a sub for the band I am in because we are all so busy. I have to travel to Buffalo NY to play Reggae music for someone because he can't find a good player there locally except for a college kid who is new to playing. We are not a dime a dozen. It takes a lot of dedication and really chops to be where most bands want someone to be when they think of taking on a keyboard player.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Outkaster

View Post

It is very hard to play keyboards. If you make a mistake it is noticeable. You have to be on your game all the time. Not only that I can't even get a sub for the band I am in. I have to travel to Buffalo NY to play reggae music for someone because he can't find a good player there locally. We are not a dime a dozen. It takes a lot of dedication and really chops to be where most bands want someone when they think of taking on a keyboard player.

Agreed - which is why I prefer to stick to the guitar role myself - I am only self-taught on keys for a few years, and it took a great many takes and edits to achieve what went into this album...If I missed a day or two of practice, it was VERY evident at rehearsals, and we're talking about stuff I wrote myself...But then, I didn't let myself off easy on guitar, either, many guitar parts in our set can't be taken for granted without practice...

• Members

View Post

Agreed - which is why I prefer to stick to the guitar role myself - I am only self-taught on keys for a few years, and it took a great many takes and edits to achieve what went into this album...If I missed a day or two of practice, it was VERY evident at rehearsals, and we're talking about stuff I wrote myself...But then, I didn't let myself off easy on guitar, either, many guitar parts in our set can't be taken for granted without practice...

So what you are saying is that you cant reproduce this stuff live, and you wrote it? Man good luck. You might want to just sell it and skip the live performance. It worked for the beatles.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by rhat

View Post

So what you are saying is that you cant reproduce this stuff live, and you wrote it? Man good luck. You might want to just sell it and skip the live performance. It worked for the beatles.

LOL, don't throw me under the bus so fast! I was just supporting Outkaster's point that it's a tough job, and that I'm better at guitar...But I can, and have, played all of the keyboard parts on these songs, and played them well - it's just not easy. Playing live is what I love - anybody can put out a CD these days, it's when you play live that you have a chance to set yourself apart...

• Members

View Post

LOL, don't throw me under the bus so fast! I was just supporting Outkaster's point that it's a tough job, and that I'm better at guitar...But I can, and have, played all of the keyboard parts on these songs, and played them well - it's just not easy. Playing live is what I love - anybody can put out a CD these days, it's when you play live that you have a chance to set yourself apart...

Good luck to you ,,, like cooter says, ya got some good stuff. Hopefully one of these keyboard players will pan out and you can get a tour off the ground. For sure playing live is where its at.

• Members

Now the inquiries are rolling in - basically, i was playing down what the band was really able to do, thinking that it might intimidate people who are in it for the fun of it - in that process, I was selling us short and keeping the quality players away.

It also came as a huge relief to those who responded that I had all the sounds ready to go for them - which i never mentioned, figuring it might appear that I was too controlling of the sounds they used.

So, thanks to all who called these things to my attention. Hopefully my next post here will be about what wireless guitar system I should take on the road. Thanks, also, to those who listened to the music and had kind words to say about it.

BTW, if anyone else wants to buy the download or CD through our website, we are donating every dime of every sale to Haiti charities until the end of the month! (There, that was my only spam in the whole thread!)

• Members

^ This is the kind of outcome that gets me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Nice job man - I'm gonna go check out your music right now. thumb.gif

Listening....

You guys have got it going on: look forward to reading about you in the future, when you break through.

Catchy arrangements and damn interesting vocals - great production.....

Dream Theater ought to take you cats out on the road: this is the most kickass {censored} I've ever heard on this forum - seriously - stellar work guys. thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys

View Post

Listening....

You guys have got it going on: look forward to reading about you in the future, when you break through.

Dream Theater ought to take you cats out on the road: this is the most kickass {censored} I've ever heard on this forum - seriously - stellar work guys. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Wow! Thank you! Can I hire you to bring on the road to build up my esteem when I need it?! smile.gif

Funny you should mention going on the road with Dream Theater - somebody on the Mike Portnoy forum started this thread a while back, aptyly titled "Shadow Circus!!! MP check them out for the next PN tour!": http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm....433953&mpage=1

...and I honestly don't even know the guy who started the thread! I chimed in later, and the suggestion didn't pick up steam, but going out on the ProgNation tour would be precisely the kind of "quantum event" we would need to quit our day jobs!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys

View Post

Listening....

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

View Post

Hopefully my next post here will be about what wireless guitar system I should take on the road. Thanks, also, to those who listened to the music and had kind words to say about it.

Yes the music really is stellar with fantastic use of sounds, dynamics, panning and levels. Is refreshingly retro a term?

There's no discussion about the wireless systems, obviously you'll be using the top end Shure stuff like any other pro level band.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ggm1960

View Post

Yes the music really is stellar with fantastic use of sounds, dynamics, panning and levels. Is refreshingly retro a term?

There's no discussion about the wireless systems, obviously you'll be using the top end Shure stuff like any other pro level band.

"When The Morning Comes" has a serious Simon & Garfunkel flavor - especially in the vocals.

"Coming Back Home To You" has a hint of Lennon.

At other times, I'm hearing Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

But somehow it doesn't sound like a ripoff or derivative.

That vocalist is a keeper - don't let him get away.

• Members

View Post

It is very hard to play keyboards. If you make a mistake it is noticeable. You have to be on your game all the time. Not only that I can't even get a sub for the band I am in. I have to travel to Buffalo NY to play reggae music for someone because he can't find a good player there locally. We are not a dime a dozen. It takes a lot of dedication and really chops to be where most bands want someone when they think of taking on a keyboard player.

Are you dong this because you have to, or because you want to?

Perspective makes all the difference in the world if a thing is hard or not.

Just sayin'.

• Members

View Post

It takes a lot of dedication and really chops to be where most bands want someone when they think of taking on a keyboard player.

I think you're right. The key phrase is "thinking about taking . . " How many bands are thinking about taking on a guitar, bass, or drums?rolleyes.gif This creates all kinds of musical and political imbalances and explains why a lot of keyboard players go solo or hang it up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Root

View Post

I think you're right. The key phrase is "thinking about taking . . " How many bands are thinking about taking on a guitar, bass, or drums?rolleyes.gif This creates all kinds of musical and political imbalances and explains why a lot of keyboard players go solo or hang it up.

Yes, because a lot of bands 'add' a keyboard player, making the keyboard player adapt to playing music that is mostly guitar based. When you have a band that has had nothing but guitars bass and drums for awhile, it can be rough to fit a keyboard in without stepping on guitar lines, bass parts, and drummer's timing. A lot of bands don't get that they have to change what they're doing to make the keyboards work, not just 'add' one to what they're doing. I think that's why so many keys guys get frustrated, in my experience.

Archived