Keyboard players - why so hard to find?

jplanet

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL! But give Wade credit for having an extremely wide appreciation for music and musicians- from the olde timey easy listening mood loungers to Triviam, whoever THEY are. I myself am pretty sure I'm closer to the polyester end of the continuum. I caught the tail end of the lounge days, way back before lounge or anything other than Totally_jammin_out.gif was cool. Still have a soft spot for that scene.

• Members

LOL! But give Wade credit for having an extremely wide appreciation for music and musicians- from the olde timey easy listening mood loungers to Triviam, whoever THEY are. I myself am pretty sure I'm closer to the polyester end of the continuum. I caught the tail end of the lounge days, way back before lounge or anything other than Totally_jammin_out.gif was cool. Still have a soft spot for that scene.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KeysBear

View Post

lots of truth in this. I've worked in a lot of bands that had one guitarist. Of course now we still make it as a four piece with two guitars because I play keys bass.

In some bands getting the guitar players to give up the keys solos is nearly impossible too, like the Santana tunes which they think are nothing but long guitar jams. I've had guitarists scream at me for taking the proper solo at the proper time saying it threw them off from what they were used to. Dude, uh, like why am I here?

See, that would never be a problem in my band. I am a guitarist who LOVES keyboards, and even the songs I compose, I compose with keyboards playing as prominent a role as the guitar, to the point that our keyboardist is relieved to have the few places he can rest that we have in our music...

Of course, we play progressive rock, where keyboard solos are one of the elements that defines the genre.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KeysBear

View Post

lots of truth in this. I've worked in a lot of bands that had one guitarist. Of course now we still make it as a four piece with two guitars because I play keys bass.

In some bands getting the guitar players to give up the keys solos is nearly impossible too, like the Santana tunes which they think are nothing but long guitar jams. I've had guitarists scream at me for taking the proper solo at the proper time saying it threw them off from what they were used to. Dude, uh, like why am I here?

See, that would never be a problem in my band. I am a guitarist who LOVES keyboards, and even the songs I compose, I compose with keyboards playing as prominent a role as the guitar, to the point that our keyboardist is relieved to have the few places he can rest that we have in our music...

Of course, we play progressive rock, where keyboard solos are one of the elements that defines the genre.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

Yeah, I can't hardly get through a set without people asking us if we play any "Trivium".... facepalm.gif

Do you have any chart-topping albums to your credit?

Does your band play to 50,000 screaming fans in the biggest arenas in the world?

Well, then you might want to STFU. Seriously. Just because you play cheese cover songs (as I've done and will do), doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at SUCCESSFUL bands in other genres.

I bet Trivium has outsold all prog rock bands COMBINED over the last 10 years, which honestly isn't that hard to do!

So if you want to make this into a popularity contest, you might want to start by insulting prog rock and jplanet's band. I mean seriously: who the {censored} wants to hear prog rock, right? CLEARLY the most important thing is what "people want to hear", right?

• Members

View Post

Yeah, I can't hardly get through a set without people asking us if we play any "Trivium".... facepalm.gif

Does your band play to 50,000 screaming fans in the biggest arenas in the world?

Well, then you might want to STFU. Seriously. Just because you play cheese cover songs (as I've done and will do), doesn't give you the right to look down your nose at SUCCESSFUL bands in other genres.

I bet Trivium has outsold all prog rock bands COMBINED over the last 10 years, which honestly isn't that hard to do!

So if you want to make this into a popularity contest, you might want to start by insulting prog rock and jplanet's band. I mean seriously: who the {censored} wants to hear prog rock, right? CLEARLY the most important thing is what "people want to hear", right?

• Members

There's plenty of room for guitar solos in cover bands! Sure, no one really wants to hear an extended solo, but those 10 seconds or so are your chance to speak. And people do appreciate those solos when they are done well and they bring back memories of the original song.

I mean, dude, there's a guy on this board who posted a clip of his band and the keyboard solo for Jump just wasn't right. Okay, who cares, right? Well when I played it for my girlfriend she noticed. She's not a musician. So if she notices, don't you think others do too? Every little bit of "close but no cigar" has a cumulative effect on the people in the audience! They know! They hear it! They don't know WHAT it is but they know what it ISN"T, and that's the intensity and the original experience they have in their memory of the song you are 'interpreting'. Weak guitar solos SUCK ASS. But cover bands get away with it because the moments are so fleeting.

• Members

There's plenty of room for guitar solos in cover bands! Sure, no one really wants to hear an extended solo, but those 10 seconds or so are your chance to speak. And people do appreciate those solos when they are done well and they bring back memories of the original song.

I mean, dude, there's a guy on this board who posted a clip of his band and the keyboard solo for Jump just wasn't right. Okay, who cares, right? Well when I played it for my girlfriend she noticed. She's not a musician. So if she notices, don't you think others do too? Every little bit of "close but no cigar" has a cumulative effect on the people in the audience! They know! They hear it! They don't know WHAT it is but they know what it ISN"T, and that's the intensity and the original experience they have in their memory of the song you are 'interpreting'. Weak guitar solos SUCK ASS. But cover bands get away with it because the moments are so fleeting.

• Members

And I'm gonna shoot straight.

I've heard 5, maybe 6 bands on this board post Journey tunes.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice. J. Paul in particular impressed me with his command of the vocal, excellent stage presence and tone: watching him for me is like listening to a session cat play an "easy" bass line. It just FLOWS and you know it's a CAT playing it. Like Neal did and does. Lyrical playing. Something tells me the people that hire him notice this difference too.

• Members

And I'm gonna shoot straight.

I've heard 5, maybe 6 bands on this board post Journey tunes.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice. J. Paul in particular impressed me with his command of the vocal, excellent stage presence and tone: watching him for me is like listening to a session cat play an "easy" bass line. It just FLOWS and you know it's a CAT playing it. Like Neal did and does. Lyrical playing. Something tells me the people that hire him notice this difference too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys

View Post

relax. I was just making the point that just because there are some prog rock bands that still exist and are popular within that sub-genre doesn't mean long solos are "making a comeback". I wasn't criticizing the band or saying I was better than them or any such nonsense.

I didn't even know they were prog rock. I've never even heard of them. My point was---don't tell me that "guitar solos are coming back" by naming bands no one's even heard of. Doesn't really support your argument very well, ya know?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys

View Post

relax. I was just making the point that just because there are some prog rock bands that still exist and are popular within that sub-genre doesn't mean long solos are "making a comeback". I wasn't criticizing the band or saying I was better than them or any such nonsense.

I didn't even know they were prog rock. I've never even heard of them. My point was---don't tell me that "guitar solos are coming back" by naming bands no one's even heard of. Doesn't really support your argument very well, ya know?

• Members

Piano and organ player? That's me. For a Southern rock/country band, that's all I need to be. My inspiration for that is Eddie Harsch with the Black Crowes- his B3/Wurlie/piano textures added alot to a guitar-driven band in spite of not doing alot of soloing.

RE prog rock: I have never been that much into it, but I predict alot of people will be listening to jplanet's music, which IMO is very commercial and accessible. The excellent singer is a HUGE plus. Congrats to jplanet on the score of the excellent keys player!

• Members

Piano and organ player? That's me. For a Southern rock/country band, that's all I need to be. My inspiration for that is Eddie Harsch with the Black Crowes- his B3/Wurlie/piano textures added alot to a guitar-driven band in spite of not doing alot of soloing.

RE prog rock: I have never been that much into it, but I predict alot of people will be listening to jplanet's music, which IMO is very commercial and accessible. The excellent singer is a HUGE plus. Congrats to jplanet on the score of the excellent keys player!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore

View Post

Thanks, PW! I'll be sure to pass your comment on to our singer!

As for the opinions of what music is "in" or "out", the good news is the same as the bad news: Nothing is in our out anymore. It's all in. Which is good, in that any genre can find its audience nowadays, no matter how remote. The bad news is, because tastes are so personal and varied, there is not any one culturally relevant genre that everyone will get behind. You can't even just say your into electronica, you have to specify "progressive trance" or "dub step". You can't just be into metal, you have to specify "Viking metal" or "retro death rock". So, there aren't enough fans (who are willing to pay for music) for any one of these niches to provide even a minimum wage to some of the best artists out there. It's also impossible to find something good in a universe of too many choices. There are probably a thousand bands out there that would be your next favorite band, but good luck finding them.

So, since the advent of audio production on home computers, and unlimited distribution possibilities via the web, everyone is in the game now - not just the artists selected by the gatekeepers at the major labels. Sure, there will always be the teenage girl market for Lady Gaga, and classic rock bands rule the tour circuit. But that's just about all that's left of anything that's "in". The music world is officially in a state of anarchy. 20 minute solos are probably just as relevant as British Reggae. :-P

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore

View Post

Thanks, PW! I'll be sure to pass your comment on to our singer!

As for the opinions of what music is "in" or "out", the good news is the same as the bad news: Nothing is in our out anymore. It's all in. Which is good, in that any genre can find its audience nowadays, no matter how remote. The bad news is, because tastes are so personal and varied, there is not any one culturally relevant genre that everyone will get behind. You can't even just say your into electronica, you have to specify "progressive trance" or "dub step". You can't just be into metal, you have to specify "Viking metal" or "retro death rock". So, there aren't enough fans (who are willing to pay for music) for any one of these niches to provide even a minimum wage to some of the best artists out there. It's also impossible to find something good in a universe of too many choices. There are probably a thousand bands out there that would be your next favorite band, but good luck finding them.

So, since the advent of audio production on home computers, and unlimited distribution possibilities via the web, everyone is in the game now - not just the artists selected by the gatekeepers at the major labels. Sure, there will always be the teenage girl market for Lady Gaga, and classic rock bands rule the tour circuit. But that's just about all that's left of anything that's "in". The music world is officially in a state of anarchy. 20 minute solos are probably just as relevant as British Reggae. :-P

• Members

View Post

There are a lot of bands that sell 100's of thousands of records that "no one has ever heard of". idea.gif

It's funny how Rush gets lumped into the "unpopular" category when the fact is they have outsold many of today's top pop acts.

Same thing seems to be happening here a little bit. Just because it ain't "pop" music doesn't mean there is no market for it!

• Members

View Post

There are a lot of bands that sell 100's of thousands of records that "no one has ever heard of". idea.gif

It's funny how Rush gets lumped into the "unpopular" category when the fact is they have outsold many of today's top pop acts.

Same thing seems to be happening here a little bit. Just because it ain't "pop" music doesn't mean there is no market for it!

Archived