Keyboard players - why so hard to find?

jplanet

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys View Post
And I'm gonna shoot straight.

I've heard 5, maybe 6 bands on this board post Journey tunes.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice. J. Paul in particular impressed me with his command of the vocal, excellent stage presence and tone: watching him for me is like listening to a session cat play an "easy" bass line. It just FLOWS and you know it's a CAT playing it. Like Neal did and does. Lyrical playing. Something tells me the people that hire him notice this difference too.
I'll have to see if I have any recordings of my band doing Journey. Our guitar player does it justice. So does our singer.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
And I'm gonna shoot straight.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice. J. Paul in particular impressed me with his command of the vocal, excellent stage presence and tone: watching him for me is like listening to a session cat play an "easy" bass line. It just FLOWS and you know it's a CAT playing it. Like Neal did and does. Lyrical playing. Something tells me the people that hire him notice this difference too.
I'll have to see if I have any recordings of my band doing Journey. Our guitar player does it justice. So does our singer.

• Members
There's plenty of room for guitar solos in cover bands! Sure, no one really wants to hear an extended solo, but those 10 seconds or so are your chance to speak. And people do appreciate those solos when they are done well and they bring back memories of the original song.
Of course. Where did I imply that by saying "nobody cares about guitar solos anymore" I meant that "the ones you DO play can suck"? Of COURSE you have to play well and make your 10 seconds or so speak.

I mean, dude, there's a guy on this board who posted a clip of his band and the keyboard solo for Jump just wasn't right. Okay, who cares, right? Well when I played it for my girlfriend she noticed. She's not a musician. So if she notices, don't you think others do too? Every little bit of "close but no cigar" has a cumulative effect on the people in the audience! They know! They hear it! They don't know WHAT it is but they know what it ISN"T, and that's the intensity and the original experience they have in their memory of the song you are 'interpreting'. Weak guitar solos SUCK ASS. But cover bands get away with it because the moments are so fleeting.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice.
"Speaking" with your solo in a cover band doesn't mean you have to play stuff note for note. Just play it well. Nobody gives a {censored} if the solo in Jump or Don't Stop Believin' isn't note for note unless maybe you're a tribute band. There's no 'cumulative effect'.

Seriously....that bit of my band playing DSB I posted in another thread yesterday? I don't know if the guitarist played the solo note for note or not. I didn't pay attention. It didn't matter. What he played sound fine. You really think if he 'missed' a note or two it would have ANY effect on that audience? Really? You think they cared about the guitar solo?

No. They didn't. There was no 'fail' at that gig in any way, shape or form. We went out there and nailed the gig and delivered to the audience what they wanted. "Perfect" solos that do the original players "justice" wasn't what it was about. That's not what being a good cover band is about.

• Members
There's plenty of room for guitar solos in cover bands! Sure, no one really wants to hear an extended solo, but those 10 seconds or so are your chance to speak. And people do appreciate those solos when they are done well and they bring back memories of the original song.
Of course. Where did I imply that by saying "nobody cares about guitar solos anymore" I meant that "the ones you DO play can suck"? Of COURSE you have to play well and make your 10 seconds or so speak.

I mean, dude, there's a guy on this board who posted a clip of his band and the keyboard solo for Jump just wasn't right. Okay, who cares, right? Well when I played it for my girlfriend she noticed. She's not a musician. So if she notices, don't you think others do too? Every little bit of "close but no cigar" has a cumulative effect on the people in the audience! They know! They hear it! They don't know WHAT it is but they know what it ISN"T, and that's the intensity and the original experience they have in their memory of the song you are 'interpreting'. Weak guitar solos SUCK ASS. But cover bands get away with it because the moments are so fleeting.

Consume's band and J. Paul's are the ONLY TWO where the guitar players did Neal Schon even half a bit of justice.
"Speaking" with your solo in a cover band doesn't mean you have to play stuff note for note. Just play it well. Nobody gives a {censored} if the solo in Jump or Don't Stop Believin' isn't note for note unless maybe you're a tribute band. There's no 'cumulative effect'.

Seriously....that bit of my band playing DSB I posted in another thread yesterday? I don't know if the guitarist played the solo note for note or not. I didn't pay attention. It didn't matter. What he played sound fine. You really think if he 'missed' a note or two it would have ANY effect on that audience? Really? You think they cared about the guitar solo?

No. They didn't. There was no 'fail' at that gig in any way, shape or form. We went out there and nailed the gig and delivered to the audience what they wanted. "Perfect" solos that do the original players "justice" wasn't what it was about. That's not what being a good cover band is about.

• Members
There are a lot of bands that sell 100's of thousands of records that "no one has ever heard of". idea.gif

So what? Andrea Bocelli sells 100s of thousands of records too. Amazing singer he is, without a doubt. Nobody requests his songs at our gigs either.

Back in the 80s, it was really cool to play long guitar solos in clubs. Guys dug it. Chicks too, if the guitarist was cute enough and showy enough. That was then; this is now. At least for the time being, long guitar solos are out-of-fashion and considered boring by all except for afficienandos of the genre. Which, unless you're one of those bands who sells "100s of thousands of records", are going to draw enough afficienados of the genre to make playing those songs a worthwhile effort.

Just because it ain't "pop" music doesn't mean there is no market for it!
True. What means there is no market for it is the fact that nobody pays the cover bands that do it any money for doing it. "money in exchange for product or services" IS the definition of "market". If you ain't getting PAID well to do it, you might be able to call the interest in what some people have in waht you do many things, but "a market" isn't one of them.

• Members
There are a lot of bands that sell 100's of thousands of records that "no one has ever heard of". idea.gif

So what? Andrea Bocelli sells 100s of thousands of records too. Amazing singer he is, without a doubt. Nobody requests his songs at our gigs either.

Back in the 80s, it was really cool to play long guitar solos in clubs. Guys dug it. Chicks too, if the guitarist was cute enough and showy enough. That was then; this is now. At least for the time being, long guitar solos are out-of-fashion and considered boring by all except for afficienandos of the genre. Which, unless you're one of those bands who sells "100s of thousands of records", are going to draw enough afficienados of the genre to make playing those songs a worthwhile effort.

Just because it ain't "pop" music doesn't mean there is no market for it!
True. What means there is no market for it is the fact that nobody pays the cover bands that do it any money for doing it. "money in exchange for product or services" IS the definition of "market". If you ain't getting PAID well to do it, you might be able to call the interest in what some people have in waht you do many things, but "a market" isn't one of them.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I thought I would follow up on this thread since I originally started it. The keyboardist we found did a fine job on the new album, which we have streamed in its entirety here:

http://shadowcircusmusic.com/audio

Reading through this thread has shown me why keyboard players are so hard to find for a band like ours. It's because it's hard to find anyone - on any instrument - who is in this for the music, and not the money.

It used to be that having something to say musically made money, though. It wasn't always this way.

• Members

I thought I would follow up on this thread since I originally started it. The keyboardist we found did a fine job on the new album, which we have streamed in its entirety here:

Reading through this thread has shown me why keyboard players are so hard to find for a band like ours. It's because it's hard to find anyone - on any instrument - who is in this for the music, and not the money.

It used to be that having something to say musically made money, though. It wasn't always this way.

• Members

I used to be a keyboardist back in the '80s and early '90s. I enjoyed the prominent role keyboards had in music of that era and playing those kinds of songs was a lot of fun (Journey, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Cutting Crew, Night Ranger, Billy Idol).

When popular rock music changed in the early '90s, I was already changing myself a few years before that (1988). I became more interested in guitar. When I joined bands in 1989-1992 because I *could* play keyboards, it would cause friction whenever I tried to incorporate my guitar playing as well. They just saw me as a keyboardist, doing a very limited role. A lot of the songs I loved years before were no longer being featured. Now I was limited to playing background swells or barely-heard melodies. Certainly not the focus of the band sound as time went on. I realized I needed to play a more prominent role in whatever band I was in to be happy and playing background keys was not going to fulfill me. Playing lots of keyboards in your style of music would be a lot of fun!

You could very well be right that people just don't care about music as much anymore, but I doubt that. I just think that progressive rock is only going to attract certain people and you have to work within that pool of talent. Finding a way to compensate such talent is the tough part, but also important.

• Members

I used to be a keyboardist back in the '80s and early '90s. I enjoyed the prominent role keyboards had in music of that era and playing those kinds of songs was a lot of fun (Journey, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Cutting Crew, Night Ranger, Billy Idol).

When popular rock music changed in the early '90s, I was already changing myself a few years before that (1988). I became more interested in guitar. When I joined bands in 1989-1992 because I *could* play keyboards, it would cause friction whenever I tried to incorporate my guitar playing as well. They just saw me as a keyboardist, doing a very limited role. A lot of the songs I loved years before were no longer being featured. Now I was limited to playing background swells or barely-heard melodies. Certainly not the focus of the band sound as time went on. I realized I needed to play a more prominent role in whatever band I was in to be happy and playing background keys was not going to fulfill me. Playing lots of keyboards in your style of music would be a lot of fun!

You could very well be right that people just don't care about music as much anymore, but I doubt that. I just think that progressive rock is only going to attract certain people and you have to work within that pool of talent. Finding a way to compensate such talent is the tough part, but also important.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jplanet View Post

If you expect for a key guy to be your sound bitch,, you will have to pay him to do it.

• Members

If you expect for a key guy to be your sound bitch,, you will have to pay him to do it.

• Members

I like your band and your recording. Sounds really nice. But as far making money by having something to say musically? Depends on what you're saying and who you're saying it to. And I don't think that's any different than it ever has been.

On your website you talk proudly of your music and performances being from the 70s. Well, I'm not sure that 40-year old music has ever had much marketability. I like your music because I'm over 50, but for that same reason I'm probably not going to be buying it or going out to see your band live any time soon. Got other things to do with my time and money.

Nothing at all wrong with what you're playing and how you're playing it. But your expectations for the market need to be realistic and it isn't all the fault of the public or the state of the industry today. And finding guys who want to do things just for the music gets harder as people get older as well. Something else that I don't think has really changed much either.

But good job on what you've done and good luck! The keyboard player sounds really good.

• Members

I like your band and your recording. Sounds really nice. But as far making money by having something to say musically? Depends on what you're saying and who you're saying it to. And I don't think that's any different than it ever has been.

On your website you talk proudly of your music and performances being from the 70s. Well, I'm not sure that 40-year old music has ever had much marketability. I like your music because I'm over 50, but for that same reason I'm probably not going to be buying it or going out to see your band live any time soon. Got other things to do with my time and money.

Nothing at all wrong with what you're playing and how you're playing it. But your expectations for the market need to be realistic and it isn't all the fault of the public or the state of the industry today. And finding guys who want to do things just for the music gets harder as people get older as well. Something else that I don't think has really changed much either.

But good job on what you've done and good luck! The keyboard player sounds really good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post

Thanks for the kind words on the music. To be clear, we don't do this for the money. That's the whole point, we do it because this is the music that is going on in our heads, and we will go nuts if we don't play it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post

Thanks for the kind words on the music. To be clear, we don't do this for the money. That's the whole point, we do it because this is the music that is going on in our heads, and we will go nuts if we don't play it!

• Members

IMO jplanet's music has really GOOD marketability. Would anyone have ever predicted Trans-Siberian Orchestra's success? I don't see too much modern about THEIR music-AFAIK rap/hiphop-free and family-friendly. Maybe there are some faults with that comparison, but it seems pretty solid to me.

Archived