Suggest some good 60s and 70s songs.

newmaxnew

• Members

We are getting ready to take a few weeks off from gigging and learn a bunch of new songs. We play mostly 60s and 70s.

Please suggest to me songs from the 60s and 70s that are up tempo and good danceable songs (no guitar wankery snooze fests). WHat songs from this era work for your band?

One that we are going to try and do is Low Rider. I think we can make work if I can program up a sound on my guitar synth.

Max

• Members

We are getting ready to take a few weeks off from gigging and learn a bunch of new songs. We play mostly 60s and 70s.

Please suggest to me songs from the 60s and 70s that are up tempo and good danceable songs (no guitar wankery snooze fests). WHat songs from this era work for your band?

One that we are going to try and do is Low Rider. I think we can make work if I can program up a sound on my guitar synth.

Max

Pretty well any of the soul music always goes over good. sam and dave , temps, wilson picket, etc. Good dance stuff. If you have keys you got spencer davis, and the rascals. Alot of latter 60s stuff takes real solid vocals , but typically its pretty easy to work up and play ,, not real lead guitar intensive,, more rhythm and vocal based. I took a quick peek at your set list and you could for sure add some soul to the list. I see you have keys too. That would be the easiest and most productive place to head for more material ... and would flesh out your list for the demographics you target. you also have stuff like grass roots, association, tommy james, stones. Tons of stuff to choose from.

• Members

That one brings back memories. Had that on a set list my senior year in high school. If you notice no lead guitar part. We had horns and the harmony so it was a natural for our band. tons of stuff like that from the latter 60s. the goos part about that stuff is no one does it these days.. so it sets a band apart from the pack..... its the kind of stuff you could work up a festival act around since those things attract alot of boomers..

• Members

I always liked that song a lot. I usually cover horn parts with my guitar synth.

I wonder if we could get away with leaving out the guitar part, it isn't very noticable in the mix. One guy can do the keys and I can do the horn parts on guitar synth.

That is just the type of stuff that we like to do, becuse no one seems to play that stuff anymore and it keeps our set list from being the same as 20 other bands in the area.

Max

• Moderators

[YOUTUBE]Tqgwnv0HCk8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]K9vrb27Bdeo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jQvUBf5l7Vw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Zurwvfj6f_0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nU5uDozoSSM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xfydfBXlByk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]w05CYrXe4p4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]r7JBTLnyJ2g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]qFhM1XZsh6o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I always liked that song a lot. I usually cover horn parts with my guitar synth.

I wonder if we could get away with leaving out the guitar part, it isn't very noticable in the mix. One guy can do the keys and I can do the horn parts on guitar synth.

That is just the type of stuff that we like to do, becuse no one seems to play that stuff anymore and it keeps our set list from being the same as 20 other bands in the area.

Max

I think you might be better off leaving the horns out. You have that signature key stuff in there that is pretty important. try it both ways. Or you could add horns or a second key guy. The big nut on all that stuff is the multiple part vocals. Those are a must

• Members

Please suggest to me songs from the 60s and 70s that are up tempo and good danceable songs (no guitar wankery snooze fests).

Let's Spend the Night Together.

Every bar band seems to resort to Honky Tonk Women.

• Members

Here is a setlist from a band I played keys for in 1970 when i was a senior in high school.. You may find somthing on this list that will work for you.

House of the rising sun

Along comes mary

Sunshine psalm

Aint to proud to beg

Shotgun

My girl

Spinning wheel

More and more

Get together

You don

• Members

Here is a setlist from a band I played keys for in 1970 when i was a senior in high school.. You may find somthing on this list that will work for you.

LIST

Those are some great songs!

Sometimes I miss those days.

Other times not so much.

• Members

Those are some great songs!

Sometimes I miss those days.

Other times not so much.

Thanks. that set list worked real well for us. this band had three chamber choir singers in it and a horn sections. We took on alot of material that no one else could handle. Having all jazz band and choir geeks helped alot. We got alot of good gigs as kids. too young for the bars,, so we did alot of proms, park and recs gigs and CYO deals. It was a 7 piece. we were knockin 60 dollar splits on that puppy back then. I think we could have pushed the money up further if we had not broken up to go to college.

• Members

Here's some of the songs the 60s Top 40 band I'm in does:

Please Mr. Postman

Hang On Sloopy

Gloria

It's All Over Now

(Just Like) Romeo & Juliet

Chapel Of Love

Ruby Baby

One Fine Day

Because

Mustang Sally

Secret Agent Man

Game of Love

Stand By Me

Bad Moon Rising

I Fought the Law

Needles and Pins

Bad to Me

Last Train to Clarksville

Happy Together

Kicks

She's Just My Style

Runaway

Brown Eyed Girl

Keep on Dancin

• Members

Max

We tend to play stuff from 80's to present, but the few songs from 60's and 70's we do include:

Sympathy for the Devil

Magic Carpet Ride

Domino - Van Morrison

Sweet Caroline

Proud Mary (we do Tina Turner's version)

Shout

That's about it.

• Members

play mostly 60s and 70s.

dance-y 60s/70s rock stuff that works for us:

Magic Carpet Ride

Brown Sugar

I Want You To Want Me

Long Train Runnin'

Walk This Way

Start Me Up

R&B/disco stuff that works:

That's The Way I Like It

Love Train

Miss You

Shake Your Booty

You Should Be Dancin'

Love Rollercoaster

I Feel Good

Shout!

We all groaned a few weeks back when we were asked to learn "Joy To The World" for a wedding. But we've pulled that one out at the last few shows we've done when we've had a 40/50+ age group and it's gone over amazingly well.

• Members

The Zombies - She's Not There & Time of the Season.

The Medley from side 2 of Abbey Road

Yes - I've Seen All Good People

CCR - Green River

Deep Purple - Hush

Jimi Hendrix - Fire

ABB - Midnight Rider

Beatles - I Saw Her Standing There

Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature

Archived