Which Type Of Band Member Is The Easiest To Replace?

bogey_j

• Members

this is kinda inspired by the 'drummer turnover' thread, but what type of band member would be the easiest to replace?

I think most would probably say bassists or drummers, but i'd say guitarists. Virtuoso guitar players are a dime a dozen these days. Just stroll into guitar center on any given day and you'll find a handful of them. Obviously a special guitarist is hard to find, but I think it would be harder to find a great drummer or bassist than guitarist. Vocalist are by far the hardest.

• Members

I think it really depends on the type of band you have. I write/compose my own stuff and have guys setup to play it live while I sing. So they're all equally easily dispensable. If your band has lots of complicated drumming, it would be harder to replace him, if you're more guitar driven and have some complicated riffs it may be harder to replace the guitarist, etc.

But in general i'd say guitar is the easiest to replace.

• Members

Definitely guitar, no question in my mind.

My thoughts on the hardest is definitely the lead singer (they pretty much make or break the band), second would be the keyboardist (because they are rare), bassist (hard to find, harder to get just the right fit) and finally, the drummer. But guitarists are a dime a dozen. It's why I avoided playing it in my teens, because I knew that *everybody* plays guitar. But I eventually relented because I wanted a sound other guitarists just weren't giving me.

• Members

this is kinda inspired by the 'drummer turnover' thread, but what type of band member would be the easiest to replace?

I think most would probably say bassists or drummers, but i'd say guitarists. Virtuoso guitar players are a dime a dozen these days. Just stroll into guitar center on any given day and you'll find a handful of them. Obviously a special guitarist is hard to find, but I think it would be harder to find a great drummer or bassist than guitarist. Vocalist are by far the hardest.

I'm a guitarist, so I don't usually go looking for guitar players, but I'll say, and this applies to any instrument, somebody who is a "virtuoso" in Guitar Center, may or may not be a good band mate. You want somebody who's competent on their instrument, but experience and personality are every bit as important as chops when it comes to playing with others.

• Members

I'm a guitarist, so I don't usually go looking for guitar players, but I'll say, and this applies to any instrument, somebody who is a "virtuoso" in Guitar Center, may or may not be a good band mate. You want somebody who's competent on their instrument, but experience and personality are every bit as important as chops when it comes to playing with others.

So true, that applies to any instrument as well. You can do so much more and make so much better music with people you enjoy then with a virtuoso with a {censored}ty attitude.

A decent player with a great personality is better than any cocky shredhead can do for you.

• Members

I would have checked "The guy who owns the PA" ... but it wasn't an option in the poll. :D

As far as which instrument is hardest to replace - I think the answer depends MORE on the individual musician than the individul instrument. I've been in bands where an "OK" guitar player was the real catalyst within the band - and would have been tough to replace even though the band was located in a sea of guitarists.

• Members

Well it really does depend on the band and what kind of sound you're going for. In general, I think bass players are the easiest to replace for the type of stuff I do, but in my band that wouldn't be the case because our bass player is also the lead singer. Really it'd be tough to replace anybody in our band, because we're a trio and everyone sings, writes songs, and contributes a lot to the overall sound.

I agree that guitarists are common as dirt, even "virtuoso" ones, but I don't think that makes them easy to replace (again, depending what you're looking for). My band started out with the intention of having a second guitarist, but we never could find one who meshed with me really well (except for Peter Case when we play with him - I'd play guitar with that guy all day long, but that's different :lol: ). It's a very particular style and virtuosity doesn't have a lot to do with it. Either somebody gets it or doesn't, and it's easy to tell pretty quickly.

Drummers, to me, are really hard to replace because I'm really picky about them - the type of stuff I do requires a really great one. Whereas for some bands who are just looking for a "time keeper," it's probably pretty easy to replace a drummer.

So it really just depends on what your music requires... and of course, any really good musician who really fits well with your band is going to be hard to replace. If they're just adequate, it won't be so hard, and maybe your band requires somebody who's "just adequate" to get the job done.

• Members

Virtuoso guitar players are a dime a dozen these days. Just stroll into guitar center on any given day and you'll find a handful of them.

Most of em playing stuff designed to impress, out of time.

Put em in a band and they crumble, step on the mix, don't play tastefully....The good ones that are already in or have been in bands usually ain't the ones in there showing off.

• Members

I'd say guitarists simply because there are so many of them available, but I'd also be inclined to say bass players as the change in that chair will usually have the least impact on the sound of the band.

It would crumple our band (replacing the bassist).

That's because the drummer and I have played together for a while now, and a lot of the tunes we play live or die by the rhythm section.

For big dumb rock type stuff, yeah I agree: bass doesn't have to groove with the drums because there usually is no groove, just straight time.

Oh yeah, I also own a big chunk of the PA. LOL

• Members

It's about the band. . . in other words, the qualities of the band are at least as important as the qualities of the prospective new member.

If you're playing music (and have gigs already booked) that appeals to someone, you'll fill the chair.

. . . . at least in a large urban area. If you live in a small town, there's a finite number of musicians.

On a permanent basis, the singer, then the drummer is the hardest to fill. Guitar and bass, the easiest (if they don't sing lead.)

• Members

I have to say the drummer is at least the quickest member to get a replacement worked in. The thing about a decent drummer is that they can fake thier way through a song that they are familiar with. They can't play a wrong note and don't have to worry about key changes or any of that stuff.

Max

• Members

in a cover band?

i would say guitarist, but i don't think that the first replacement will be better than the other, and you might search for someone to really fit in

in an all original band?

depends, who is doing what creative things in the band. if all members work the same on writing new songs, arranging them, so everyone would be hard to replace, no matter what instrument they play.

the one who puts the least effort in the creativity section, is the one easiest to be replaced, unless he/she owns the pa/rehearsal space or what ever

Archived