Which Type Of Band Member Is The Easiest To Replace?

bogey_j

• Members

tbut i'd say guitarists. Virtuoso guitar players are a dime a dozen these days. Just stroll into guitar center on any given day and you'll find a handful of them.

This is the attitude I run across the most, and I strongly disagree. Just as easy to replace anyone else IMO. Even vocalists are easy to replace, in the sense that great vocalists are so rare that you probably aren't replacing one anyways..

Not hard to replace a "lead bassist" or "lead drummer" either

Chew on that :cop:

• Members

I have to say the drummer is at least the quickest member to get a replacement worked in. The thing about a decent drummer is that they can fake thier way through a song that they are familiar with. They can't play a wrong note and don't have to worry about key changes or any of that stuff.

Max

I agree in that I'd rather have to get through the night with fill-in drummer than any other spot in the band. But I think that replacing the drummer full-time is more likely to have the most dramatic effect on the overall sound of the band than other spot. Unless the new drummer just HAPPENS to play an awful lot like the last one.

• Members

I have to say the drummer is at least the quickest member to get a replacement worked in. The thing about a decent drummer is that they can fake thier way through a song that they are familiar with. They can't play a wrong note and don't have to worry about key changes or any of that stuff.

Max

Good point. I hate it when drummers critice other musicians while they know nothing about the other musicians instrument. Only speaking of drummers that don't play other instruments of course.

• Members

It would crumple our band (replacing the bassist).

That's because the drummer and I have played together for a while now, and a lot of the tunes we play live or die by the rhythm section.

For big dumb rock type stuff, yeah I agree: bass doesn't have to groove with the drums because there usually is no groove, just straight time.

It all depends on the band, as other people have always stated. I was playing with a funk/R&B group for awhile that seemed to have a different bass player at every gig. Since it was a largely "jamming through the standards" kind of group, this could be done. Sometimes we played with monster funk bass players; sometimes with just straight rock guys who kept simple rhythms. But either way, the sound of the band stayed pretty much the same. It was the drummer, guitar and singer gave that group its groove and sound. I certainly thought the funkier bass players enhanced THAT particular sound, but it didn't kill the band when the other guys were there the way a more straight-ahead drummer might have.

• Members

Definitely guitar, no question in my mind.

No doubt about it. It also annoys me that the vast majority of music resources (print, CD/DVD, web based) are geared towards guitar players. You can get the guitar chords/leads for just about any song.

Printed music magazines are all but extinct except for Guitar World in which each issue is fat with content, ads and a DVD to boot!

I've yet to find an accurate transcription of the ending piano solo for a song as ubiquitous as Sweet Home Alabama.

• Members

No doubt about it. It also annoys me that the vast majority of music resources (print, CD/DVD, web based) are geared towards guitar players. You can get the guitar chords/leads for just about any song.

Printed music magazines are all but extinct except for Guitar World in which each issue is fat with content, ads and a DVD to boot!

I've yet to find an accurate transcription of the ending piano solo for a song as ubiquitous as Sweet Home Alabama.

Yeah, there's free guitar tabs for everything under the sun all over the internet. There's more guitar tab of keyboard parts than there is actual keyboard transcriptions.

I think it's because guitar players are more interested in impressing each other with their massive skills while keyboard players prefer to keep their secrets close to the vest....

~ducks~

• Members

Same here. I wish that Keyboard World had taken off circa 1988. It was an experiment from the publishers of Guitar World. They were trying to make a keyboard version of it, with transcriptions (sheet music) of cool rock songs. Unfortunately, they changed the title (Modern Keyboard, Keyboard World) and it tanked, so they never continued it. It was cool seeing the sheet music for Whip It! replete with suggestions for how to simulate the patches for each sound in the song. Had fun playing the cooler-than-cool keyboard parts to Yes' "Roundabout" too!

Skynyrd's keyboardist was definitely a great talent. He is surely missed.

• Members

I think it depends on the band. If you are a band that is paying well, it's probably not hard to replace anyone. If you scrounge for drink money at gigs that are few and far between, I'd say it's difficult to find a replacement for any position.

Beyond pay, I'd say the type of music you play would make a difference as well. I guess you could make an argument for all of them.

Archived