How do you leave a band gracefully?

tim_7string

• Members

I think there are allot of bored musicians with no gigs, banging on 7 string, just wanting to tear him down, it they had gigs, they wouldn't have 3000 posts.

If this thread is any indication of pro players in the field, you need do little more then pack up your crap, and give the middle finger as you walk out of band practice...they don't deserve better. That's how you leave a band of idiots that won't get it together.

I think Tim is going to be auditioning guitar players real soon. Just be sure to bring your flannel bathrobe cause it is cold in N. Dakota this time of year.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's a drag is your drummer was pretty good. He doesn't hit too hard, and seems to have it together pretty well.

Bass player - yeah, I could see where he was getting lost at times and whatnot, but he wasn't that up in the mix - seems like he was more "show than go", but he did have pretty good stage presence.

Might want to keep working with the drummer.

I guess I'm just wondering why you'd leave the whole deal behind if the real issue musically with your guys was the bassist?

Fire him, get another bassist, get your cousin in there on guitar, and you're good to go. Why start over - seems like more trouble than it's worth.

It's not out of the question for me to work with the drummer again. I agree that he is damn good. He has filled in with other bands before and I could see him filling in with us on a strictly mercenary level.

Had to leave because of the bassist, because he did the booking, owned the PA, etc. I'm going back to the band name I had last year and retooling with my wife on bass. Hopefully my cousin can do the job for us on lead guitar/harmony & lead vocals. He would be a perfect fit for the kind of music we're working on. Already have a drummer willing to play anytime, anywhere as long as his band isn't playing that weekend. So, once the songs are all rehearsed in the Belgarde household, we'll be good to go.

• Members

What's a drag is your drummer was pretty good. He doesn't hit too hard, and seems to have it together pretty well.

Bass player - yeah, I could see where he was getting lost at times and whatnot, but he wasn't that up in the mix - seems like he was more "show than go", but he did have pretty good stage presence.

Might want to keep working with the drummer.

I guess I'm just wondering why you'd leave the whole deal behind if the real issue musically with your guys was the bassist?

Fire him, get another bassist, get your cousin in there on guitar, and you're good to go. Why start over - seems like more trouble than it's worth.

I just don't understand why he would quit a gigging band before he had his band at least gig ready.:confused: It might take months before he has the new band ready. Meanwhile he could have used the money he made to get the PA giggable. For that matter he might have found musicians while he was out playing with the other band.

• Members

I just don't understand why he would quit a gigging band before he had his band at least gig ready.
:confused:
It might take months before he has the new band ready. Meanwhile he could have used the money he made to get the PA giggable. For that matter he might have found musicians while he was out playing with the other band.

Yeah, that's true. That's what I'd do if I could. Hell, that's what I've done in the past. I started getting my gear and PA together while still playing with the last band I was in. I knew it wasn't going to work out, but instead of quitting, I stuck it out for a while and pocketed some gig money.

They {censored}canned me anyway LOL. Oh well. But still, for a while I had 3 projects going: the classic rock band, the band that would eventually become Logan Street Band (that wasn't gig ready), and a Van Halen tribute kind of one-off deal.

I just didn't see the sense in quitting a gig ready band before I knew that the other band could ever gig steady, even though gigs were hard to come by - they were still there and the band was gig ready.

• Members

I just don't understand why he would quit a gigging band before he had his band at least gig ready.
It might take months before he has the new band ready. Meanwhile he could have used the money he made to get the PA giggable. For that matter he might have found musicians while he was out playing with the other band.

Temperament. It was hard for me to focus on my own project while I was playing gigs with the band. Now I can devote 100% to this other one. Basically, it was becoming intolerable for me and I couldn't take it anymore. I was starting to lash out at them onstage. That was a sign for me to get the {censored} out. I don't like getting ugly like that and I had had enough. I agree that it makes more financial sense to keep in the public eye with the band (and use the money from gigs to finance my own project), but with those other factors, I did what I felt I had to do.

As for getting my PA giggable, tax refund is coming up soon and it's gonna be a doozy. I'll be up and running soon. :)

• Members

Temperament. It was hard for me to focus on my own project while I was playing gigs with the band. Now I can devote 100% to this other one. Basically, it was becoming intolerable for me and I couldn't take it anymore. I was starting to lash out at them onstage. That was a sign for me to get the {censored} out. I don't like getting ugly like that and I had had enough. I agree that it makes more financial sense to keep in the public eye with the band (and use the money from gigs to finance my own project), but with those other factors, I did what I felt I had to do.

As for getting my PA giggable,
tax refund is coming up soon and it's gonna be a doozy
. I'll be up and running soon.
:)

I hope you have been claiming your gig money.:poke: :)

• Members

I hope you have been claiming your gig money.:poke:
:)

Funny you should ask that. I asked the bass player if he was going to issue me and the drummer 1099s for the gigs we played in 2010. He said no.

I'm going to claim the percentage *I* got for my taxes anyway. I don't need the IRS pulling an audit on me out of nowhere.

• Members

Funny you should ask that. I asked the bass player if he was going to issue me and the drummer 1099s for the gigs we played in 2010. He said no.

I'm going to claim the percentage *I* got for my taxes anyway. I don't need the IRS pulling an audit on me out of nowhere.

Well that is going to be something else you will need to worry/think about when your the one getting the pay at the end of the night.

• Members

Well that is going to be something else you will need to worry/think about when your the one getting the pay at the end of the night.

You're assuming I've never been the guy "getting the pay" before. I've been doing that since 1993, man. Just because I'm not the guy getting the pay in every single band I've ever been in since doesn't mean it's never happened to me.

Plus, I've been the one signing the check at the bar we played the most last year. They always wrote it out to me, even though the bass player was the one who was officially the band leader by then. So, I will be including those checks from 2010 in my taxes.

• Members

YEah, but Randy made up for it by being a kickass guitarist. Most people back then knew him primarily as a guitarist anyway.

Kick ass guitarist? Really? Bachman?

All BTO was was a couple of decent radio hits by a band that nobody ever even really knew what they looked like. "Takin' Care Of Business" wasn't a hit because of their stage presence or live show.

• Members

Oh hell yeah.

Like Leslie West on steroids. Great use of sustain and controlled feedback, lot of real subtle stuff going on his playing. He knew what he was doing. One of the best rhythm guitarists of all time too.

A little known factoid is that some of his better studio solos and slide work were played by one Frank Trowbridge, a phenomenal player and local legend here in Spokane.

• Members

That's the advice I was trying to give him before he quit, but he seemed to have his mind made up already at that point.

• Members

Oh hell yeah.

Like Leslie West on steroids. Great use of sustain and controlled feedback, lot of real subtle stuff going on his playing. He knew what he was doing. One of the best rhythm guitarists of all time too.

:idk: I suppose. I just don't think that when anybody speaks of great guitarists or great solos of the 1970s that Bachman is even on anybody's LONG list. Not saying he isn't a good player, just that I don't recall his appeal being "guitar hero" status. Even back with Guess Who. Just a band with a couple of good hits.

And this is from a guy who bought all their albums back in the day. Even {censored}ty ones like "Freeways" that had no hits.

• Members

A little known factoid is that some of his better studio solos and slide work were played by one Frank Trowbridge, a phenomenal player and local legend here in Spokane.

There's a great little jazzy number they did called "Lookin' Out For #1" that was a minor hit when they past their heyday. I always loved the guitar work on that--partly BECAUSE it seemed so out-of-character for BTO. I wonder if Trowbridge played that one?

• Members

:idk:
I suppose. I just don't think that when anybody speaks of great guitarists or great solos of the 1970s that Bachman is even on anybody's LONG list. Not saying he isn't a good player, just that I don't recall his appeal being "guitar hero" status. Even back with Guess Who.

Well, I hung out with a lot of older dudes, good guitar players, and Bachman had a hell of a rep with them.

Listen to his work in "American Woman" and put it in context of the times.

He basically took Clapton's "White Room" approach and enhanced it - listen to the solo and compare it to the one in "White Room". Hear the connection?

Not too many cats were doing that back then. Bachman was basically a late 60's Clapton-influenced cat; maybe he slipped through the cracks because other cats were trying the Hendrix thing. But it's obvious Bachman stopped at Clapton and didn't even TRY to cop Hendrix. That to me, is a good thing.

• Members

No {censored}?

Which ones, do you know?

That's pretty awesome, but I'm still not sure it takes away from my opinion of Randy. His live performances are always spot on, vocally and guitar-wise.

• Members

Well, I hung out with a lot of older dudes, good guitar players, and Bachman had a hell of a rep with them.

Listen to his work in "American Woman" and put it in context of the times.

He basically took Clapton's "White Room" approach and enhanced it - listen to the solo and compare it to the one in "White Room". Hear the connection?

Not too many cats were doing that back then. Bachman was basically a late 60's Clapton-influenced cat; maybe he slipped through the cracks because other cats were trying the Hendrix thing. But it's obvious Bachman stopped at Clapton and didn't even TRY to cop Hendrix. That to me, is a good thing.

I'm there are afficienados who appreciate the subtleties of his playing style. But that still wasn't his reputation. I dont hear ANYBODY, not even guitarists, say "Clapton.,,Hendrix..Randy Bachman.." He doesn't get mentioned in the same breath with those sorts of guys. Maybe he deserves to. That isn't the point. My point is his guitar playing isn't why BTO (or even the Guess Who) were selling records. Sure his guitar playing contributed to making those records what they were, but that isn't the same thing. "Takin' Care of Business" and "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" don't get played on the radio because of the killer guitar work.

• Members

I'm there are afficienados who appreciate the subtleties of his playing style. But that still wasn't his reputation. I dont hear ANYBODY, not even guitarists, say "Clapton.,,Hendrix..Randy Bachman.." He doesn't get mentioned in the same breath with those sorts of guys. Maybe he deserves to. That isn't the point. My point is his guitar playing isn't why BTO (or even the Guess Who) were selling records. Sure his guitar playing contributed to making those records what they were, but that isn't the same thing. "Takin' Care of Business" and "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" don't get played on the radio because of the killer guitar work.

Maybe us Southerners have more time to sit around and listen or something, I don't know. You know the stereotype: the old boy sitting around with records, not even knowin' what the guys look like, and picking off every note.

There's some truth to that, even in the "big city" like the ville. A lot of the cats I grew up around, the players, they were REAL detail-oriented like that. They didn't get their opinions from a magazine - they got 'em from listening and playing the parts.

Hell, there's even a compressor pedal out there named after American Woman, for freaks that are still after all these years trying to get THAT sound that he got on that lead.

• Members

Maybe us Southerners have more time to sit around and listen or something, I don't know. You know the stereotype: the old boy sitting around with records, not even knowin' what the guys look like, and picking off every note.

I don't know anyone besides guitar players in ANY region who sit around picking off notes off of records. And guitar players are a small subset of people who listen to music. Bachman has ZERO reputation as a killer guitarist among non-musicians and only a small one, at best, among fellow musicians.

BTO doesn't even sell records anymore. I don't know that anyone much even buys their Best Of album. They are just a couple of hit songs still played on classic rock radio. Which, for the most part, have rather rudimentary guitar solos. Guitarists aren't running out to buy up all the old BTO and Guess Who records so they can learn all his riffs the way they do with Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, EVH, etc.

And again, none of this is to put down Bachman's playing ability. I'm just simply refuting the idea that people ever dug their songs because he was such a kick-ass guitarist.

• Members

I don't know anyone besides guitar players in ANY region who sit around picking off notes off of records. And guitar players are a small subset of people who listen to music. Bachman has ZERO reputation as a killer guitarist among non-musicians and only a small one, at best, among fellow musicians.

BTO doesn't even sell records anymore. I don't know that anyone much even buys their Best Of album. They are just a couple of hit songs still played on classic rock radio. Which, for the most part, have rather rudimentary guitar solos. Guitarists aren't running out to buy up all the old BTO and Guess Who records so they can learn all his riffs the way they do with Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, EVH, etc.

And again, none of this is to put down Bachman's playing ability. I'm just simply refuting the idea that people ever dug their songs because he was such a kick-ass guitarist.

It's a regional thing, I guess.

It seems that in the South, guitar is much more appreciated and "understood" than in other parts of the country.

A lot of Blues bands come through here and do okay, for example. And more than a few out in the crowd are in fact watching the guitar. Had a few of em this Friday - a couple of older guys....One of whom got me talking about bass but wouldn't say if he played himself. He kept walking by and saying: "Let me hear some of that McCartney bass".

So when we did play our first Beatles tune, he stood there, arms crossed, and watched every damn note I played. Dude must have been 60 years old.

There's a little shop here called "Guitar Emporium". All vintage stuff. You oughta step in there on a Friday and see all of the doctor/lawyer wannabe types plunking down too much cash for a piece of history.

I also went to a vintage sellers expo to unload an old Epiphone, and I saw much the same thing: a literal throng of older people, backwards berets, lots of tweed......

It seems that here recently there has been a real resurgence among the boomers for guitar and anything related to it. Vintage, of course. Hell, your average blues audience is VERY MUCH there to see and hear the guitar.

• Members

I hear the drummer drop the beat a couple of times, but that {censored} happens. And I guess maybe the bass player misses a note here or there, but that happens too. What sticks out for me is I see a guy up front struggling to sing well AND play guitar well at the same time, and not with a WHOLE lotta stage presence. If someone else were singing, you'd have much more time to concentrate on kicking ass with your guitar.

If you expect guys to make mistakes - drop the beat, play wrong notes, etc - it's going to effect your playing and most definitely your singing. Their job is to confidently and reliably support the lead in its various forms.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I've played with reliable pros. . . . . Give a new project time to gel, but if I can't count on the rhythm section, I'd rather start over - yet again - or play in the music room alone.

• Members

It seems that in the South, guitar is much more appreciated and "understood" than in other parts of the country.

Ummm...

You have empirical evidence to back that up?

"...guitar is much more appreciated and understood" in the South...?

Boy, I thought I heard them all before, but if that one doesn't take the cake...

:facepalm:

In all sincerity and seriousness, that's got to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on the internet.

Archived