Would It Be Wrong To Be Buried With An Instrument?

ggm1960

• Members

I've had my GoldTop LP for so long and it's still my number one all time favorite guitar I've been thinking I should have it put in my coffin when I die. Anyone else have similar feelings?

Considering the numerous instances (recently in the news) of people being dug up by cemetery workers or other robbers for rings and jewelry I would think that you wouldn't rest in peace very long with such a hock-able item. The idea of being mugged in the grave doesn't appeal to me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I gotta say, I have zero sentimentality for my instrument. Same with my dead body. Burn it to ash and throw me to the wind. Give my basses and guitars and piano to whoever wants to play.

I love music. Not the tools. I joke about gear lust, etc, but really, a guitar is just hammer. Get it done.

• Members

That's a tough question to answer, probably mostly the idea that I'm the only one who's ever owned it and it just feels like such a part of me after having spent so many years learning to play it, taking care of it and using it. It was even stolen once but was returned after applying some.....um....coercion.

Sure it's a nice guitar but again it's not the oldest, or most valuable one I have. God willing I live for a while yet I'm sure to acquire more valuable instruments. My daughter will be left with a great deal of valuable assets upon my demise even without this one guitar. More than I was left with to be sure!

This I can appreciate. I own a Fender Deluxe Stratocaster, a Fender Precision Bass, a Fender Mustang Bass...etc. but my most cherished guitar, the one that I would NEVER let go of is my circa. 1966 (give or take a year) H73 Harmony, Roy Smeck guitar (the one in my avatar).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200588973157?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's still my favorite electric guitar to play neck/action/tone wise. extremely sensitive to pick attack (DeArmond pups are like that). Rock-a-Billy sound like you never heard.

I prize that guitar more then practically anything else I own. I've had that guitar for 45 yrs. To sell it or otherwise get rid of it would be like parting with an old friend.

But, would I want to be buried with it ? No way. That would just be a waste IMO.

• Members

what an odd topic lol

I agree there's no sense in getting buried with it. I disagree with giving it to your daughter if she has no real interest in music / instruments. She most likely would never 'tell stories' to the grandkids while using the guitar as a show-and-tell prop, considering the other guitars and assets, I'd bet she might just closet them and eventually CL or yard-sale them (maybe years down the road), or even her kids grow up to inherit the instrument but not the sentimental values and sell or pawn them.

IMO,
you would do well to find a young player worthy of a gift upon your death..
I know it sounds a little crass toward the immediate family, but I find that my immediate family has no interest either, and I plan to be cremated.. so what to do? for now, I teach a 12 year old girl who has that same youthful lust to learn and grow on the instrument that I had at that age.. so she's the front runner. Not all assets are required to go to immediate family, right?

This is what I'm figuring on doing. Definitely leave it to someone that plays...even if they're not family.

• Members

Considering the numerous instances (recently in the news) of people being dug up by cemetery workers or other robbers for rings and jewelry I would think that you wouldn't rest in peace very long with such a hock-able item. The idea of being mugged in the grave doesn't appeal to me.

Can't help but think it would almost be easier to just get a job.

There were some boys across the river in Wisconson a couple years ago that couldn't stand to see a pretty young ladies corpse go to waste so they dug her up.

• Members

My son (only child) had no interest in learning guitar but my nephew is. I plan to leave all of mine to him... maybe 1 to my son if he wants, but he and his cousin are very close.

I do, however, plan to have a pick in me pocket when I go up in flames - hey, you never know.

• Members

I think I'd want as little effort to go into disposal of my body as possible. Ideally, if they could legally get away with dumping my corpse in a river or out in the woods or something, that'd be my choice. Something cheap so as not to be a financial burden on those I left behind. And I certainly wouldn't want to be buried with a guitar if I absolutely HAD to be buried. I'd rather all my instruments continue being used.

• Members

I haven't read this whole thread but I think its wrong to be buried with your instrument.

The only thing that would accomplish is to silence it forever and make sure no-one else ever enjoys it.... and have it rot along with your corpse.

I think that's disgusting.

You're only borrowing it for the time you're here on Earth anyway.

Archived