Gig Last Night: I used a minimalist rig and LIKED it!

New Trail

• Members

We played a benefit last night with 7 acts, so it had to be quick in, quick out, so I decided to forgo my large pedal board and big amp and use a much smaller set up. I used a silverface Deluxe Reverb, a Boss overdrive pedal (on all the time) and my 50's Strat reissue with Texas Specials. I really enjoyed the sound, the easy set-up, and the minimalist feel! Plus it turned into a fun gig and for a worthy cause as well.

• Members

I too went through the gizmo phase. At one time I ended up with a Quadraverb GT and a midi controller, two amps, volume pedal, ancillary overdrives, etc. Finally I just decided to go back to square one and just have a guitar plugged into an amp and use it until I got comfortable with it. Then I added one thing at a time. Now, all use I is an amp with a channel switch, a volume pedal, a Danecho delay and an MXR dyna-comp for slide and a solo boost here and there.

• Members

I go back and forth in what seems to be an endless vicious cycle: I'll keep adding more and more crap to my rig in search of the best sounds, and then get tired of dealing with it all and pull it all back to next-to-nothing only to start adding more stuff over time.

Right now I'm in minimalist phase: two boards on a single stand and nothing in the rack but a 1U line mixer and my guitar stuff. But I'm thinking about adding a 3rd board very soon and....away we go!

• Members

Sometimes I'm tempted to stack up a Captain Keyboard Command Station too- but fortunately, I'm so broke that that is not even a possibility, leaving me to concentrate on the music.

However, for the sake of just hearing something different (trying to re-stimulate that old desensitized "ear clit"), I have decided to start using my 10-year-old P120 piano only as a controller to trigger the sounds of my 10 year-old Yamaha S30, which until recently just served as a controller for my 6 year-old organ module.

• Members

I'm really thinking about going back to using an amp for my guitar. My Tech 21 TM60, Cry Baby, delay pedal, brass slide and capo will do it. For keys the Privia PX-3 is all I need for this band.

Didn't know you were in a new band. Unless I've got all my stories mixed up, I thought you were between projects. What do you have going on?

• Members

I'm tempted to try a gig with just my guitar, a cable and my 5E3 Deluxe. I've rehearsed straight into that amp a few times and it blows my mind. Turn the guitar volume down and it's the sweetest clean, turn it up and it's a raging beast.

• Members

Didn't know you were in a new band. Unless I've got all my stories mixed up, I thought you were between projects. What do you have going on?

I joined a band back in August and did my first gig with them in September. There is a video from that posted in the "videos of your cover band" thread that's been going on (alternately search Abandoned Road Sweet Home Alabama at youtube for more). We've done three other gigs since then and the next is early in December. Prior to that I hadn't played a gig with a band (aside from one fill-in as keyboardist this Spring) since I'd disbanded my last group in December '09.

Also at this time I'm creating the soundtrack for a movie that the producers/writers hope will be accepted into the annual Cedar Rapids Film Festival.

The biggest project right now however is moving into a new house. We close in less than two weeks and there is still much packing to be done. Here are photos of the basement space I'm planning to turn into studio/practice area:

2011-11-22161315.jpg

2011-11-22161337.jpg

• Members

With my oldies/classic rock trio, I go pretty bare bones. I run my mic into a Digitech Vocalist Live 2 which goes into my Yamaha 2X300 watt powered mixer which runs 2 Peavey PR12 speakers on stands. My Dean Vendetta guitar goes into the VL2 so the harmonies match my voice and from there into a Digitech RP250 multieffects pedal then into the Yamaha powered mixer.

That's it. I get all the guitar sounds I want with this system. I rarely use monitors, just set the speakers off to the sides and back a bit so I can hear them and they don't feed back. My bassist brings his own rig and the drummer his own kit.

We've played everything from small parties at extremely low volumes to outdoor gigs at swap meets with the same setup and it always does the job.

• Members

I reckon I have mostly been using a "minimalist rig" as long as I have been a working musician. It is what I prefer. Over 99% of the time it is a guitar, a couple cables, a tuner, and a tube amplifier. Long ago I figured out that I don't really need more than that. I am more likely to use external signal modification devices when I am recording. And I am even more likely to use them with synthesizers and drum machines as I do with guitar. And that is mostly when I am recording experimental and electronic music. But playing restaurant and small bar gigs I don't really need to use anything more than my guitar and amplifier of choice for the evening, a couple cables, and a tuner.

• Members

I guess I use a fairly minimalist rig. I have a compressor, distortion and delay pedal (Chorus too, but I found that I never used it) - and that is it. It goes into a tube amp (when I get it from Fedex on Monday!) with a couple of channels.

I use an ebow, too.. I like to have a few good tone options, but don't need to have more than a handful...

• Members

As a working "cover band" keyboardist - minimalist is a nice concept but difficult to implement and still be able to deliver what's needed. If the material I typically perform lent itself to being played with a single sound per song - and only a handful of different sounds over the course of the evening - going "minimalist" might be practical. However, the material I'm playing calls for pianos of many sorts, various organ, strings, horns, pads - and more than a few purely "synth" sounds to do it right.

It's certainly possible to strip down a rig by going to a single keyboard (working with lots of splits and layers), going to a single powered speaker for stage monitoring, etc - if by minimalist you consider size and weight of your rig alone. However, I find that working with lots of splits and layers to be very cumbersome - requiring that virtually every song have a custom patch created for it (most of which end up containing a compromise of one sort or another). Personally, I avoid working with splits - if for any reason, simply because I hate having to remember where the split points are for each voice - and then enduring the inevitable "sound phfart" when I get it wrong.

For me, my efforts toward "minimalization" really focuses on proper product selection and good "packaging". By packaging I mean finding ways to consolidate gear into prewired racks, using/packaging gear that can be stacked to minimize stage footprint, using multi-channel cables to simplify setup and keep asthetics clean and good packing so that I'm schlepping a minimal # of truly roadworthy cases. (i.e., no cardboard boxes, no milk crates, no "loose" pieces, etc.).

I'll never be able to shrink my stage footprint to less than 1 keyboard's worth of floor space in front of me - so, in that space I stack 2 boards on a 2 tiered stand that also serves as my microphone stand. All of my outboard gear (Mixer, MIDI interface, sound modules - and "little stuff") are packed into a single 6u rack unit that is completely prewired. When packed - my entire rig consists of total of 8 pieces (including stand and bench). Both keyboards, my rack and my "misc case" that holds all pedals, mics, cables, sundry "little stuff" - are all in hard cases (most have wheels). My powered speakers are in bags that are padded and zippered. The only two pieces that are uncased are my stand and bench. My entire rig moves from vehicle to stage in 5 reasonable comfortable trips. For a robust keyboard rig - it's about as efficient as I can make it.

For rehearsals and other things where my full "gig rig" isn't required - I simply carry my RD700SX and one powered speaker (along with a cheap "X" stand and a soft "practice" bag with and old mic, cables and pedals) . The "X" stand along with everything in the "practice" bag were purchased as spares - so I don't have to rummage through my "misc case" that's part of my "gig rig". Seldom does a rehearsal go by that a bandmate doesn't ask about missing sounds when I'm using my "practice rig". Leaving 2/3 of my sound engine capability at home has a noticeable impact on my sound. My bandmates have learned to trust me when I tell that the missing sounds will be at the gig.

• Members

Simplest rig I use is one 88-key piano with an Electro II module, running into my stereo combo amp that has a built-in 4-channel mixer and built-in direct box (no outboard mixer or DI box necessary). I can moniter myself in stereo and still set up in 5 minutes (after a 2-trip "schlep." ) Sometimes I add a 2nd board for miscellaneous sounds.

My most insane rig was when I was in a house band. I would sent my keyboards through both a Leslie 760 speaker AND a JBL Eon powered moniter. For piano ballads I would set the Leslie to "brake" (rotors not turning) and enjoy the monster-gobs of bass the refridgerator-sized Leslie cabinet put out. Paired with the more hi-fi JBL, I got quite a nice piano sound. For organ I would pan hard left so organ sounds would go through the Leslie only. Playing organ through it was fun. With it's brutally loud (non-stock) Altec HF driver, it would have made a great tornado siren.

• Members

We played a benefit last weekend. Tiny stage. I have a minimal rig to begin with so I went with my standard setup. Our drummer definitely doesn't have a monster set, but it's snare, one rack tom, floor tom and 3-4 cymbals. Anyway, he looked at the stage and said "I'm not bringing it all in". Played our 1:15 set with bass, snare, hi-hat, one cymbal. Sounded amazing. Honestly, I didn't even notice his toms weren't there. I found it really impressive.

• Members

At one point with my power metal band I had a refrigerator-sized rack and a pair of 4x12's. Now I run straight into a 1x12 Boogie combo with a tuner pedal and the channel switch for the amp, occasionally I stack it on top of a 1x12 extension cab to add in some of that closed-back bass response. My tone is pretty much identical to the rack setup except it would be nice to have a little bit of boost+delay for solos. I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a G-System and using that as my sole pedalboard, leaving me with a small but still extremely versatile rig. Or just going to a modeler like the HD500 run straight to PA, with my own little powered monitor to hear myself. Sooooo many choices :lol:

• Members

Man, I had to laugh when I read this post - I think a lot of guitarists can relate. Personally, I went through using 2 x 4 x 12 Marshall cabs with a full rack etc.... but got tired of lugging it when my roadies went away ! So now, I just use a Line6 HD500 into the PA with a nice JBL monitor. I am up and running in about 15 minutes (tuning up included). Sounds great and is very portable - to the point that I doubt that I'll ever go back to lugging amps again.

EDIT - troyguitar - I just posted this message and then saw yours.... FWEIW, the HD500's are a very good alternative to lugging amps, IMO. Check 'em out !

• Members

I recently did a few sub dates playing bass for some friends of mine, and my rig consisted of a SansAmp and a small bass combo I'd borrowed. But the combo's volume kept going in and out, to the point where I just turned off the combo and relied on the SansAmp through the mains....and it sounded great.

So on Saturday night, I said screw it, and went with just the SansAmp by itself....and wouldn't you know, the sub on my side of the stage blew midway through the first set, and I was utterly unable to hear myself for most of the evening. :p

• Members

Did a small room gig a couple of weeks ago with just a Timmy, Hermida Reverb and a Vibro Champ. There were a few songs that I would've liked to have the wah, delay, etc. and it took me a couple of songs to dial the Timmy in just right but I was digging the tones. :thu:

• Members

We played a benefit last weekend. Tiny stage. I have a minimal rig to begin with so I went with my standard setup. Our drummer definitely doesn't have a monster set, but it's snare, one rack tom, floor tom and 3-4 cymbals. Anyway, he looked at the stage and said "I'm not bringing it all in". Played our 1:15 set with bass, snare, hi-hat, one cymbal. Sounded amazing. Honestly, I didn't even notice his toms weren't there. I found it really impressive.

I did a restaurant gig awhile back where my drummer used a snare and a hi,-hat and stomped on the floor of the stage for a kick. He pulled it off, too.

• Members

Here's me...

2485d455.jpg
1c798783.jpg

Hey, is that Boss covered in plastic shrink wrap or something ? I was thinking about doing something like that to my GT-10 pedal board for audience spillage issues (it only takes one time as I have found out with previous pedals), but haven't figured out how yet. ???

• Members

Hey, is that Boss covered in plastic shrink wrap or something ? I was thinking about doing something like that to my GT-10 pedal board for audience spillage issues (it only takes one time as I have found out with previous pedals), but haven't figured out how yet. ???

I stuck some black duct tape on it, oh... Back in 1988. I'll switch my patch to manual mode, and that lets me turn effects on and off individually. Pedal 2 is for overdrive. So since I'm stomping on it a lot with shoes on, I didn't want to get a buncha dirt and crap in it. A couple pieces of duct tape, and it's been good ever since!

I put some on my volume pedal, because the one rubber part was baby blue, so it was to just cover that up. lol

:thu:

A nice vacuum formed clear rubber piece to drop over would be ideal, but this has worked without any issues for hmmm... wow 23 years!!!!

Archived