Put down the bong!

BlueStrat

• Members

accoustic band (downtown)

Date: 2012-03-20, 7:34AM PDT

Reply to: XXXXXXX@comm.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I am building a casual and cool summer night outdoor accoustic band. Music for Middle agers, toe tapping.....building to hip swaying, cool, hip, music. I play the bongo drums. I also am a contracts person and when satisfied with a mature and stable group that plays for funfirst and love can be in the air, I will pursue gigs which pay. I am looking for they in it for fun first but also like myself wont let the love of or need for money come first. No real structure, just good energy and music. free style. I am meeting every friday at a downtown coffee shop at 1 pm. Call me if you would like to check it out .....with your instrument or vocals. I am not a band leader. I need that also. Vic. XXX-XXXX

• Moderators

It seems pretty lame till you get to this part:

"...and love can be in the air"

That's got me sold right there. He's not saying love has to be in the air. He's saying love can be in the air. A subtle but key distinction. This sounds like the type of project I'd love to be the band leader for. I'm going to grab my kalima and head on over at 1 this Friday.

• Members

that grammar is unreadable, wth is he saying?

Bad english and all, I generally understood all of it except the lead in to the sentence "I'm also a contracts person . . . ."

Does that mean he's a free lance attorney and will help with your contract work on the side? Or that he wants to form a "contract" with the other members as to their purpose/goal? If the latter, that seems entirely contrary to every other aspect of his free flowing band vision.

• Members

Sounds like someone for whom English is a 2nd language and is just looking to get a group together for some front-porch music. I doubt it will get as far as paid gigging, but I don't see anything wrong with advertising to meet musicians in your area. Nothing wrong with that, unless y'all are using it as just a way to find someone or something to dog-pile onto. I'd expect that from mAps, but not BWTB.

What's happened to the BWTB forum lately? So many of the posters here have become cynical jackasses. It seems so out-of-character for this forum from the way it was when Lee first started it. That's a shame.

• Moderators

I generally understood all of it except the lead in to the sentence "
I'm also a contracts person
. . . ."

Does that mean he's a free lance attorney and will help with your contract work on the side? Or that he wants to form a "contract" with the other members as to their purpose/goal?

It means he is with the Hippie Mafia and you do not want to harsh his vibe. Trust me.

• Members

Sounds like someone for whom English is a 2nd language and is just looking to get a group together for some front-porch music. I doubt it will get as far as paid gigging, but I don't see anything wrong with advertising to meet musicians in your area. Nothing wrong with that, unless y'all are using it as just a way to find someone or something to dog-pile onto. I'd expect that from mAps, but not BWTB.

What's happened to the BWTB forum lately? So many of the posters here have become cynical jackasses. It seems so out-of-character for this forum from the way it was when Lee first started it. That's a shame.

Jesus, lighten up Francis. You'll live longer. Or just ignore these treads and move onto the 1,132nd discussion about music stands on stage, set lists, playing for free, and idiot band members.

• Members

Jesus, lighten up Francis. You'll live longer. Or just ignore these treads and move onto the 1,132nd discussion about music stands on stage, set lists, playing for free, and idiot band members.

Why does every thread seem to need a flat tire?

• Moderators

I think you can laugh at the post for being comically stereotypical and having some pretty seriously weird syntax without being a "cynical jackass". I sure the person who posted it is a perfectly good person but it's a dopey-sounding post IMO and I found it funny.

• Members

So the forum about live music performance is where you should be LEAST likely to find the cynical jackasses??
:confused:

Heck, us live players were all cynical jackasses back when the music business was still THRIVING..... we INVENTED cynical jackassery!

Give that man a cee-gar!!!

I was going to say much the same, but since it was recently noted that I'm apparently Mr. Negative, I abstained...

But since you broke the seal, so to speak...

I was definitely kind of a jackass as a kid, sure, but it took 25+ years of playing in bands for me to become a true cynical jackass.

Archived