Extremely trivial bandmate annoyances.

BATCAT

• Members

I work with one drummer who insists on putting his kit toward the front of the stage instead of against the back wall where it should be. This forces the other musicians to the sides. Must be an ego thing.

I had an incident just like this in my last band. The drummer cheerfully announced that he loved being in a three-piece as opposed to his previous five-piece because now he could move his kit more upfront. He decided to set it up right in the middle of the stage. I had to politely ask him to move it back, because the stage was small and he basically turned the entire stage into his own personal drum riser. There was very little room for the bassist/soundman and myself to set up. He begrudgingly moved it back.

Also used to (I stress "used to") work with a drummer who insisted on bringing a huge bass amplifier that he set up next to his kit for the sole purpose of mic-ing his kick drum. Didn't matter to him if we were on a stage the size of a card table in a bar that only held twenty people, he had to have this humongous cabinet on stage. The really funny thing is that after he got it set up to where he liked the sound, the keyboard player would always walk by and disconnect the mic. The drummer never even noticed.

I played in a band with a drummer that would use a JBL subwoofer as his drum seat. He had a power amp and small mixer set up off to the side, specifically so that his kick drum would thump onstage, even when the band had perfectly functional subwoofers already. I suppose it was a control issue where he knew that if he brought his stuff, it was guaranteed to have his kick amplified.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It always seems to be drummers, doesn't it?

I work with one drummer who insists on putting his kit toward the front of the stage instead of against the back wall where it should be. This forces the other musicians to the sides. Must be an ego thing.

Also used to (I stress "used to") work with a drummer who insisted on bringing a huge bass amplifier that he set up next to his kit for the sole purpose of mic-ing his kick drum. Didn't matter to him if we were on a stage the size of a card table in a bar that only held twenty people, he had to have this humongous cabinet on stage. The really funny thing is that after he got it set up to where he liked the sound, the keyboard player would always walk by and disconnect the mic. The drummer never even noticed.

Yup played with two of those guys in the last two years ... they both went over the side. For our home stage you dont need to mic the kick or the kit. Its not a big bar and you can just go acoustic for drums.

• Members

Aaaaaaaaa I want our keyboard player to buy a new keyboard. The ones she has are pretty old and just can't seem to get then set properly. Always sends a clipped chunky piano sound, and then other sounds are too quiet.

I want to suggest a controller and sound module but I have no clue what to suggest.

Use electric piano sounds rather than regular piano sounds. the slide into a mix better. I never use the acoustic piano on either of my boards. Rhodes slides right in our mix and fits in between the strat lead and the acoustic guitar. It cuts without walking all over the band. You do have to goose some sounds and back off others. I just do it manually. I will come in on the first chord with my left hand on the volume to hit it on the money to fit the stage mix. The bass has that freq range covered so you dont miss the left hand for the split second it takes to dial things in. I set my sound check volume with rhodes piano since thats my signature sound. I end up having to goose the flaco accordian ,, and back some of the organs down. I just set steel drums for the song since some i need louder than others. We play americana so a board doesnt need 4300 sounds ,, it just needs the 4 I use.

• Members

Since this is the trivial and not the serious annoyance thread... we rehearse at the bass player's house. He has a boxer that's the stupidest, ugliest, most annoying dog on the planet. It seriously doesn't even recognize its own name. It walks in front of you when you're carrying stuff in, steps all over your gear, and if you even look at it, it humps your leg.

• Members

Since this is the trivial and not the serious annoyance thread... we rehearse at the bass player's house. He has a boxer that's the stupidest, ugliest, most annoying dog on the planet. It seriously doesn't even recognize its own name. It walks in front of you when you're carrying stuff in, steps all over your gear, and if you even look at it,
it humps your leg

Are you sure it is a dog and not a drummer?

• Members

Use electric piano sounds rather than regular piano sounds. the slide into a mix better. I never use the acoustic piano on either of my boards. Rhodes slides right in our mix and fits in between the strat lead and the acoustic guitar. It cuts without walking all over the band. You do have to goose some sounds and back off others. I just do it manually. I will come in on the first chord with my left hand on the volume to hit it on the money to fit the stage mix. The bass has that freq range covered so you dont miss the left hand for the split second it takes to dial things in. I set my sound check volume with rhodes piano since thats my signature sound. I end up having to goose the flaco accordian ,, and back some of the organs down. I just set steel drums for the song since some i need louder than others. We play americana so a boar doesnt need 4300 sounds ,, it just needs the 4 I use.

That's a good suggestion. I can see it being a little less edgy and punchy but still have all the meat of the keys....

:thu:

• Members

The bandmate who follows you around getting OCD about your setup while their pile of crap sits in the middle of the way, unplugged.

Bass players, and this is almost all of them, who park their asses in the grillcloth of their amp, and complain that they can't hear themselves, while small animals are dying in the parking lot.

• Members
How about bandmates that go online and post about what they find annoying about you? Gawd, I HATE that!

HAHA! There's a guy on another music forum who had to "take a break" for a while because his bandmates stumbled across all his posts complaining about and making fun of them. :o

• Members

Are you sure it is a dog and not a drummer?

Pretty sure. As long as I'm bellyaching about the bass player, he has a really nice Trace Elliot amp, but he's started bringing a little Peavey combo to gigs because he wants to lighten his load. Meanwhile, I bring the mains, subs, and my half stack, the drummer has his kit and one of the monitors, the singer brings his rig and the PA rack stuff, and the bass player with the lightest load of all is complaining about it the loudest.

• Members

As long as I'm bellyaching about the bass player, he has a really nice Trace Elliot amp, but he's started bringing a little Peavey combo to gigs because he wants to lighten his load.

Real bass players always bring their full stacks:

ampmicrlinks.jpg

Head 13 lbs, Cabs 26 lbs each :D

• Members

It took over a year after we switched to IEMs, but I finally convinced the bass player that he didn't need an amp at all. That he could just run direct and hear himself just fine.

So now he just carries along a DI box instead of an amp and speaker.

Unfortunately, it still somehow manages him to take just as long to set it up before he's available to help setting up the rest of the band gear.... :facepalm:

• Members

My partner in my current band is the best bandmate I've ever had. Over-does his homework, writes the setlists, does all the graphic design for the band, manages our digital presence, sings great harmony, and on and on. HOWEVER, he constantly trolls (in the fishing sense) Craigslist for gigs, and, after 3 years, literally NOTHING HAS COME FROM ONE OF THE LISTINGS HE'S PICKED UP ON. And I'm the "contact" for the band, so he sends me emails: "You be getting a call from (some craigslist 'promoter') over in (some bumble{censored} town an hour and a half away) about playing a (watermelon festival, kid with lupus benefit, potato salad eating contest, shotgun wedding, etc.) next weekend. The ad wasn't clear on if we were getting paid, but it's a 45 minute set and there will be a lot of people there from the community and it might lead to future gigs". The guy's a little sensitive, and a little afraid of me, so I'm aiming to be gentle, but lately, "No, I never heard back from him" has been changing to, "No, they never got back to me, nobody from Craigslist ever gets back to me, IT'S {censored}ING CRAIGSLIST, for {censored}s sake".

• Members
That's a good suggestion. I can see it being a little less edgy and punchy but still have all the meat of the keys....

:thu:

Keys are not only a rhythm instrument but also a percussion instrument. electric piano with weighted keys that are velocity driven lets thing be mellow with the ablity to get some bark on of them when you start whippin on it. I used to own a real fender rhodes 88. Loved the sound , but hated the weight. Modern board give you so much more flexablity. I am a roland guy. VR700 and a RD300sx I only take one board to the gig.

• Members

Keys are not only a rhythm instrument but also a percussion instrument.

Actually, no. The piano is a percussion instrument because it has hammers that hit strings. An organ isn't a percussion instrument, nor is any synth. Yeah, you can get more bark by hitting a velocity-sensitive synth harder with your hand, but you can do the same thing with a guitar. Which isn't a percussion instrument either.

Just sayin'. Not that it really matters. Carry on.

• Members

My biggest annoyance is noodling between songs, or even between sets or before/after gig. Worse yet is when said noodling gives away the next song, or even worse when it's a song we don't know or do.. how many times have you seen a guitarist between songs start playing the opening riff to some epic song, the crowd all perks up like "huh?" , and then we launch into something else, and the crowd is like "oh :( )

• Members
My biggest annoyance is noodling between songs, or even between sets or before/after gig. Worse yet is when said noodling gives away the next song, or even worse when it's a song we don't know or do.. how many times have you seen a guitarist between songs start playing the opening riff to some epic song, the crowd all perks up like "huh?" , and then we launch into something else, and the crowd is like "oh
:(
)

Looks like I won't have to make the post that I was going to make. Kramerguy covered it.

• Members

My biggest annoyance is noodling between songs, or even between sets or before/after gig. Worse yet is when said noodling gives away the next song, or even worse when it's a song we don't know or do.. how many times have you seen a guitarist between songs start playing the opening riff to some epic song, the crowd all perks up like "huh?" , and then we launch into something else, and the crowd is like "oh
)

and I find it very unprofessional.

• Members
Actually, no. The piano is a percussion instrument because it has hammers that hit strings. An organ isn't a percussion instrument, nor is any synth. Yeah, you can get more bark by hitting a velocity-sensitive synth harder with your hand, but you can do the same thing with a guitar. Which isn't a percussion instrument either.

Just sayin'. Not that it really matters. Carry on.

Wow...oddly finding myself on the opposite side of usual thought here, but...

By this logic, an eDrum is not really a drum, but instead is closer to an organ and/or synth...?
:confused:

• Members

)

+1

• Members
Wow...oddly finding myself on the opposite side of usual thought here, but...

By this logic, an eDrum is not really a drum, but instead is closer to an organ and/or synth...?

:confused:

Technically, I would say yes as the sound itself it created by an electronic synth and not by hitting something with a stick. What defines an instrument is how the sound is created, not by what mechanism the body uses to drive it. Usually, anyway. (there's always exceptions and I'm sure somebody here will find one!)

A traditional organ (not an electronic one) is technially a reed instrument as the sound is created by pumping air through reeds. Percussion instruments are those where the sound is created by a mallet hitting it.

Maybe think about it this way: an acoustic drum is going to sound different depending on whether you strike it with a stick, a mallet or a brush. An edrum doesn't really care what you hit it with. Make the pad sensitive enough and you can blow on it and create the same sound.

Archived